LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not strictly motorhome (because we used the car) but the weather forecast looked good this morning so we decided to have a day out in Whitby so I could try out my new camera.

Approaching the town we saw signs for the park & ride (which I had forgotten about) so decided to use that.

Absolutely brilliant, far less hassle than trying to find a parking space in the town itself and a heck of a lot cheaper. Buses run every few minutes during the day and the motorhome friendly spaces are well signposted.

J H

Funster
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
At about 9pm but this varies with the time of year and if there are any events on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What time does it close?

From the website Graham linked to in the OP:

Opening times
The park and ride is open from 20 March 2016 and the site opening times are as below.

• March and April - 8.15am to 5.47pm
  • May to 23 July - 8am to 6.47pm
  • 24 July to 4 September - 8am to 8.47pm
  • 4 September to 30 September - 8am to 6.47pm
  • 1 October to 30 October - 8.15am to 4.47pm
The car park will be closed and locked 15 minutes after the last bus. There is no facility to reopen the site to recover vehicles left on the site after closure.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Does that mean you can just get your head down and wait for the morning?
As far as I know no overnight parking but we will be using g a spit just outside whitby on the main road A169

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
We parked here a couple of times recently whilst visiting the area in our MH.
Excellent and lots of space for MH's. Toilets, and only a few minutes drive into town at a very reasonable cost.
We will certainly be using it again when next up that way. Plus, lots of places to stay off grid:)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Does that mean you can just get your head down and wait for the morning?

No. It's North Yorkshire.

If you dare to try and overnight in your van anywhere apart from on a horrible campsite you are subject to summary deportation to Syria and forced to own a British built motorhome for ever.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No. It's North Yorkshire.

If you dare to try and overnight in your van anywhere apart from on a horrible campsite you are subject to summary deportation to Syria and forced to own a British built motorhome for ever.
What makes you say that Nick? Apart from the P&R sites and a minority of roads in the Scarborough Borough area NYCC have no specific restrictions on camping in motorhomes :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What makes you say that Nick? Apart from the P&R sites and a minority of roads in the Scarborough Borough area NYCC have no specific restrictions on camping in motorhomes :)

So all the threads about parking in Whitby have been figments of my imagination?

It doesn't really matter to me. I've been to Whitby and don't feel the need to visit again. If I did it wouldn't be in the motorhome.

I much prefer Bruges :whistle:(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Couple of britstops very close as well, we used them at night and the park and ride for the day, way cheaper than camps and parking fees in Whitby town:sleep:

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
You can also park at the top of the hill by the abbey and walk down into the town. There's plenty of room for motorhomes in that car park.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So all the threads about parking in Whitby have been figments of my imagination?

It doesn't really matter to me. I've been to Whitby and don't feel the need to visit again. If I did it wouldn't be in the motorhome.

I much prefer Bruges :whistle:(y)
Not figments at all, Nick, just that the threads contain wild exaggerations of the level of restrictions.

There are only 4 roads in Whitby (and 10 in the whole of the Scarborough Borough area) where there are specific restrictions on motorhomes meaning that they are not permitted to park there between the hours of 11pm and 7am each day. As NYCC point out, any other unrestricted road remains available for motorhome parking (and camping) during those hours.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
And here we go again. 'Whitby hates motorhomes.....'
I really must pop round to all the places where they are legally parked each night and tell them.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Not figments at all, Nick, just that the threads contain wild exaggerations of the level of restrictions.

There are only 4 roads in Whitby (and 10 in the whole of the Scarborough Borough area) where there are specific restrictions on motorhomes meaning that they are not permitted to park there between the hours of 11pm and 7am each day. As NYCC point out, any other unrestricted road remains available for motorhome parking (and camping) during those hours.
which 10 roads?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

If I ever venture up there again I'll try and find some of those other roads then.

In the meantime Bruges has far too much to offer :D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can anyone enlighten me as to why Bruges always crops up in answers to gjh. Seen it loads but it's beyond me.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Can anyone enlighten me as to why Bruges always crops up in answers to gjh. Seen it loads but it's beyond me.
A couple of years ago, at Misterton, @hilldweller spent an evening extolling the attractions of Bruges in the hopes of persuading me that it was more attractive to visit than somewhere like Niddrie before it was flattened for rebuilding.
Since that time it has become a running joke :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back