Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Prompted by thread by Vlad but did not want to hijack it, for the first time ever our toilet is smelling a bit whiffy. Now either I have turned into a poor aimer or something else is the problem, but I notice when emptied there is a build up of some type of scale or something on the inside of the cassette. Could this be the problem?

I have left it very well cleaned out and "open" whilst in storage and hope the smell has cleared. Has any other Funster had this problem and is there a "solution" (in both senses of the word)?

Steve

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
have you tried using a cassette cleaner from thetford, makes the cassette look like new again and leaves it smelling fresh. You usually put it in fill with water and leave overnight give a good shake then empty and rinse.
Also give the area the cassette sits in a good clean out, you could have a seal seepage

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is it definitely coming from the cassette? The 'hinge' part at the rear of the toilet which holds the cover and seat in place can harbour some 'overspray' for want of a better word!
:Eeek:

I'd suggest removing the seat/cover/hinge part and giving it a good clean - you'll be horrified at what is lurking there - even the most festidious cleaner wouldn't normally remove this to clean it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It seems as if you might have a limescale build up so Chatter's recommendation might be necessary to get rid of that. We use smart price (or equivalent) bio washing liquid rather than "proper" cassette fluid which tends to keep the cassette clean as well as breaking down the contents. I usually empty the cassette every day on a trip.

After each trip I give the cassette a good blast round with a hose (ordinary not power( We also use smart price (or equivalent) bio washing liquid rather than) in case anything has got stuck on the trap opening mechanism. We also always give the whole bowl &c a good clean with toilet wipes after each trip to deal with the sorts of problems mentioned by Mel.

Once or twice a year I take the seal out, clean it and the area around with wipes and rub a little olive oil over it to keep it supple.

Thetford publish manual, repair instructions &c Here. If your particular toilet isn't covered please post the model number as I've downloaded some older publications which I can send by e-mail.

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I did remove the seat/cover and hinge assembly and given that a good clean. I will take a good look (and sniff) when I remove the cassette and look around the mounting foir "liquid".

I have been using Thetford liquid. First noticed the smell at the beginning of last week and changed (due to availability) to Elsan. There was no improvement. I do have a new bottle of Sainsbury Bio Washing Liquid so may try that on the next break.

If no improvement will try the Thetford cassette cleaner.

Thanks to all for advice.

Steve

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Found the same problem what with kids and me using it.
Best thing i found as the loo and shower share the same area, shower the loo and seat ,all of it off--that worked! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back