Which weight?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stevec, Dec 17, 2015.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

The plate in my new Ducato engine bay shows gross weight of 3650kg, but the Burster plate inside the MH says 3500kg. Which one will any authority take. Chassis manufacturer or coach builder?

2. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

What revenue weight figure does it state in the V5C?

3. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

The weight on the V5 is the legal max, if that is 3500kg it would be a paper exercise to up plate to 3650kg.

4. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

And a £180:00 charge!!

5. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

check the v5 it sounds like it has been up plated already .when you up rate the weight they send you a new plate to put along side the old one.

6. stevec

stevec Funster

The MH is only 3 months old and has the original engine plate as fitted by Fiat. The revenue weight on the VI is 3500kg. Presumably any authority stopping me on the side of the road will have access to DVLA records or will they just look at a vehicle plate?

7. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

P
    Probably downrated by Burstner for licence purposes

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

The last plate fitted is the one that counts, there should be a second plate fitted by the converter.

9. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I do not know why MH assemblers downrate to 3500 kg but in your case it is straightforward to have your V5C amended to 3650kg if you need to do that. It puts the vehicle in a different tax class which is cheaper but there will be some implications which might include additional insurance, breakdown recovery costs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

As others have said, it has been down-rated to 3,500 kg by Burstner in order to appeal to non C1 licence-holders (or the equivalent abroad if it is an import). That will be the recorded revenue weight and will be available on-line to any inspecting authority.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Why do they do this and count you as a COMMERCIAL VEHICLE. it is all down to making them something they are not. I got caught as a LORRY going into the LEZ, and the fine is £1000 if imposed. A normal transit (same vehicle at 3500kgs ) is allowed no problem Because it was Euro3. Why cannot the authorities put them down as private leisure vehicle and that would stop the farce of driving licences needing to be same a a commercial lorry driver, C for new drivers with all the palaver that entails, and the medical problems for the older drivers at 70 all for a few kilos to make them legal with a small amount of private goods and shekels on board. After all the weight difference is only the weight of a couple of OBESE people and there spare clothes.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

The 'legal' plate is the Burstner one, so 3500kg max. You may be able to get it changed by DVLA to 3650kg if you can get something from Burstner to say it is still okay at that weight - if you've got the Certificate of Conformity check what that says. If Burstner won't play ball then the only way AFAIK is to get an engineer to approve it to be uprated as it is - SVTech is the 'usual' people to do this but I used another chap myself who was about a fifth of the cost!

Many mainland Europe produced MHs are kept at, or reduced to, 3500kg weight due to licencing limitations for buyers in their own country.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PeteH

PeteH Funster

• Like Like x 1
  14. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Put it on a weighbridge, now! A couple of years ago we had a Burstner in for air assist rear suspension but after a weighbridge visit (prior to fitting the air assist) it became obvious that the vehicle was simply not fit for purpose. Although it was plated and registeerd as 3500KGs GVW it was almost on that empty, even the driver would put it over its maximum weight!

D.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Almost irrelevant it may seem. My V5C arrived with a revenue figure of 4000Kg on it. No where near I thinks to myself. Bearing in mind this is a brand new MH and all paperwork was sent to DVLA at the same time. Certificate of Conformity says it weighs 3850Kg. So who is right I thinks. Manufacturer plate or DVLA log book...
    Today, arrives another V5C with revenue weight 3850Kg. How on earth do they get things so wrong and when did they realise. The Mass in Service weight has gone up as well.. - what ever that is.
    Cannot guarantee the V5C is going to be correct. xroll:

16. Diamondcub

Diamondcub Funster

Dave, that is exactly what I found on my Burstner Aviano, over weight prior to loading. What did you do about it?

17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

@dave newell lvs , I'd be interested as well ?

I tried not to laugh but you are totally correct . Some of it is nonsensical. I have an acquaintance who has 2 early 90's Land Rovers. One , a swb pick up & the other a swb safari(?) one. They were built on the same day & are 3 numbers apart on the chassis number & with same engine.
    One was classed as LEZ compliant form the outset & the other not. :(It is ludicrous.:xsad:

• Like Like x 1
  18. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

my son and his friend have two vws that apear identical one is compliant one isnt

19. Badknee

Badknee Funster

When I bought our MoHo (53 plate Autocruise Wentworth ) I took it over the weighbridge with half full fuel and fresh water tanks, spare wheel and me. 3250kgs :xeek: So at 3500kgs I had 250kgs to go! It was just never going to happen in this world.
    When I got home I looked at the V5 and was very pleasantly surprised to see it had already been uprated to 3850kgs and air suspension fitted.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Personally I did absolutely nothing other than advise the owner of the issues. I believe they rejected the vehicle as unfit for purpose (although I may be mistaken) and bought one that was usable at its quoted weight..

D.

• Like Like x 2