Which Way????

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Hunting High n Low, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low Read Only Funster

Hi, im really looking for a bit of help. Im off to spain via dover calais on 24th July.
    I have been looking at various routes and would like some advise as to which way to go. I want to cross the border by Perpignan.
    I have mercedes 307d 3.5t hopefully under 3 metres (need to measure it) So should be class 2 on tolls but have heard automatic tolls may charge class3 rate.
    Our van is quite slow so we dont really want lots of steep hills. I do not mind paying some toll costs. Im looking for a motorhome friendly route that will not cost a fortune.
    Can anyone give me an idea on toll costs and a good way to go:Cool:
    Heading for Orange Grove Camper Park:Smile:

2. WillH

WillH Funster

There are many routes you could follow, we generally go scenic and follow good weather. This year we headed toward Lyon, nice city to visit if you have a spare day. We're just back from France with a similar van and the automatic tolls always charged class 2 for us. If you wish to avoid hills do not take the A75 Autoroute, even though it is free south of Clermont Ferrand, there are some big hills.

Rgds
    Bill

3. Hunting High n Low

Thanks, I was looking at the Reims Dijon Lyon, Montpellier route. Any one know what the toll would be class 2?
    Yes I think we went the A75 in a car last year, we did get a bit lost though so not too sure which route we did take but we ended up in the midi pyrenees:Eek!:
    Im trying to keep the hills to a minimum

4. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I would suggest via Rouen, Chartres, Poitiers, Angouleme, Bordeaux, mainly toll free, then one big hill over the Pyrenees, to Zaragoza, toll but not very much, free motorway standard dual carriageway into Valencia, then motorway (toll) to Benidorm or N332, free but a bit winding in places.

Have done the trip twice a year for 14 years or so, when in a hurry I use the toll roads from Calais to Bordeaux but it does cost. You pays your money and takes your choice!:Rofl1:

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hunting High n Low

Thanks Mike, How much does the toll cost Calais to Bordeaux

6. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Off the top of my head, about 100 euros. If you use the mototway to Poitiers (for speed) you can go onto the N10 towards Angouleme and then into Bordeaux. It is toll free with only a few non dual carriageway sections, time travel compared with autoroute hardly any difference. Very convenient aire in Nersac if stopping in that area.

7. Hunting High n Low

Cheers its not so much the speed im looking for as we wont be going very fast its just im trying to avoid lots of roundabouts and narrow streets etc...
    We leave 24th july and we are booked on site for 27th providing we get there lol
    I will look up the aires is it in the book? Thanks

8. Xabia

Xabia Funster

In that case I would definitely use the non toll route through France, it is main roads so you won't need to worry about narrow streets etc. i think Nersac is in the book but mine is in the motorhome storage at the moment. If you can't find it let me know. Just remembered - there are narrow streets involved in getting to the aire, but only a couple of hundred yards, wasn't a problem in my Hymer A class.

Mike

9. Hunting High n Low

Thanks Mike, How big is the big hilll to zaragoza though? also do you recommend any other aires on the route Cheers

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  10. Xabia

Xabia Funster

It's one big climb out of Donostia onto the tops but you can take it steady and you will find it is not really a problem. Much better than taking the road via Barcelona which in my experience is risking your security, I won't go that route ever again.

There is an excellent aire on the motorway at Baie de La Somme, about 40 miles from Calais if you want to stop for the night after your crossing. After that it is very much down to where you are at the time you want to stop. As we often travel when the aires are shut we use the car park area of the services, in sight of the shop/kiosk and have never had a problem. If you stop at Sobradiel services just before Zaragoza, park in the coach spaces and you will be fine. Easy final leg then.

Have a good trip.:Smile:

Mike

11. andeb

andeb Read Only Funster

12. Hunting High n Low

Thanks, Im still not sure which way to go :Doh:Is crossing at san sebastion better than the A75 route? Im a bit concerned about these mountains

13. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I have done it in a very underpowered Compass many years ago without any problems, with a Hymer towing a Smart car on a trailer and again Hymer towing a Smart on an A frame. It is a nice, wide motorway standard road with quite level sections in places through tunnels, spectacular viewpoint where you can pull in for a cuppa if you wish, it isn't really that steep, just fairly long. Really wouldn't worry about it, the 44 tonne lorries certainly don't!:Smile:

The Clermont Ferrand route has lots of inclines so on balance I think you are better off via San Sebastian.

Mike

14. Hunting High n Low

Yes I definately want to avoid the A75 route, any idea on the max altitude crossing san sebastian way Thanks:thumb:

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

we did the A75 a few years ago in a 1999 2.5 turbo Ducato.

the hills through the massif central arent exactly steep, they aint gently rolling either, but they are long......the longer ones called for 3rd gear occasionally.

the French dont bother levelling the hills and filling the valleys :Doh: they just build a road on whatever is there.

we returned via Andorra la ville on the CG2 and over the Port d'Envalira mountain pass and through Pass de la casa into france on the N22.

you could take the d'envalira tunnel through the mountain which cuts out the longest and biggest climb.

16. jaygee

jaygee Funster

If you come up as anything other than Class 2 on the automatic tolls then just press the button to speak to an operator and say "classe deux camping car" and the amount will be changed.

17. Hunting High n Low

Yes thanks, ive read we might come up as a class 3 I will do that if it happens:thumb:

Ive found this site which im currently plotting in routes LOL

http://www.mapdevelopers.com/elevation_calculator.php

I am begining to think we probably better point the van in the right direction and drive :Doh:

18. Hunting High n Low

After much deliberation im now thinking, Calais, Rouen, chatres, orleans, vierzon, limoges, toulouse, narbonne and into spain.

Can anyone give me an idea on the tolls this way and also if my large slow van might come across any problems :thumb:

6 days to go and we are off, Woo Hoo!

19. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Speed, schmead ! who cares !

There's 100 reasons not to use the Autoroutes ! plus, you miss the opportunity of staying in great little villages on the N roads !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

20. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

I've been to Valras plage a few days ago and I paid 14,50 from Toulouse to Valras BY CAR .

When you really know which way you want to take send me a PM I'll give the toll a call to have the exact price for a class 2 from Calais to the French frontier. Tell me as well if you need a stopover (free), JJ should be at my place by then and we could all have a drink! I'll be still working so can't go too late to bed or I am useless with the babies the next day.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

• Like Like x 1