which water heater should I use

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lee52, Jan 26, 2014.

1. lee52

lee52 Funster

Hi as you will know I am refurbing the ole bus and I am getting all the wiring and equip sorted and fitted before furniture is fitted etc...

I have a choice of 2 water heaters (this bus is been built on a very tight budget)

I have a cascade mk1 gas only heater and a bowen gas only 6.2 gallon heater
    both fully working.
    Downside of the bowen is it the old one where you have to fire it up from outside and the cascade I can just flick a switch.
    but the plus point of the bowen is the capacity
    I dont know which one to fit reliablity furture parts etc...

2. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

The Cascades are no longer made but the Henry's are the same although not sure if all parts are interchangeable, the Bowen I now nothing about, looks like one of the American RV types by Atwood, the lighting thing doesn't sound that bad it seems it is only the pilot light that you have to light once set up on site, I assume after that it kicks in automatically when needed. again not sure about parts availability or how economical they are with gas etc. nice to have 6 gal of hot water I suppose for a long shower but not really needed any more than our ultrastore provides, you might also find that you can add a 240v or 120v heating element to the Bowen if needed.

3. lee52

lee52 Funster

Yeah the bowen is the atwood jobbies and like you say once the pilot is lit it kicks in and out as it should, dont know about adding elec elements but you can upgrade to elec ignite, suppose one advantage is less to go wrong, plan is to fit one and sell the other

4. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. lee52

lee52 Funster

fantastic thank you, I am inclined to keep the bowen jus for the extra capacity bearing in mind there will be 2 adults showering and the dishes to do in the morning