Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We have decided we love motorhoming after the last 18months. Now it's time to think about getting something pre-loved and a little younger than our Frankia. So now the big decision. We have £20000 ono to spend with no px.
For me the things I want as essential are:
Winterised van
4 seatbelts ( believe it or not the daughters still go away with us)
A fixed bed or pull down bed and lounge that you dont have to crawl over those below to get to the loo in the night

Dave wants
A class
Not too long

We both want left hand drive
We have looked at lots of vans
Could you tell me
1) Are all of the following winterised? Hymer,Burstner,Hobby, Adria,pilote,Rapido,Esterrel,Knaus. Are any others ( properly) wintereised? Frankia is out of our price range. Are there any other winterised vans?
2) Lots of elderly Hymers but most have 3 seat belts only with layout not allowing 4th belt. Should I forget these vans?
3) Is it better to buy a reliable older Hymer and use the momey saved to put in the toys- TV etc. Or go for something electonic and more modern?
Sorry post is so long but appreciate all help as I am driving Dave mad looking at vans on the net!
Lucille

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say go to germany ,look fora one off build by neissman biscoff or the like . most standard vans arent good enough build quality for cold winters .thats why europe goes to spain etc in winter.

Upvote 0

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Our Adria Vision is certainly winterised as I think the others are too - most continental vans are, but I don't think its within your budget. Price is around the £35K mark these days for a 2006/7 van (thats when they first came out). I think £20K may get an older Hymer, possibly an older Niesmann and Bischoff, but it will be difficult to find Carthagos / Frankias etc which are not ancient and still within your price range. Haganap has an Adria - perhaps he can advise on his model and a rough guide to price. They are great vans and excellent value for money.:thumb:

Good luck with your search. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My recommendation would be to find a nice old German: much better in my view than a younger British model! (This rule applies solely to vans you understand.)

Ours is well-winterised, but it's from 2003 and that vintage is over your budget (also, the layout does not match your spec.). We have been away for three days & nights when the temperature never exceeded -5°C (much colder during the night). All OK - just kept the heating ticking over all the time.
The guys who wrote 'Go Motorhoming Europe' (Vicarious Books) used an early 90's Hymer B654 for full-timing. They reported no problems despite being in Romania and Bulgaria at -20° C. That vintage would be well within your budget.

Philip

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
German vans are built to withstand a northern eurpean winter, whilst british vans a southern european summer so the choice is fairly easy.pre 2005 if Fiat based, and pre Sprinter if Mercedes based. Other than that just pick your choice of layout. The gap in price between buying in England or German is narrowing because of the exchange rate so beware before rushing off to German, though of course there is a greater choice there. Good luck with your search. Its a buyers market out there.

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
We have a eura mobil profila 660 coach built if you look for a profila 580 the one down still has double floor fully winterised and you may get one for around 20k if you look i have seen 2 on ebay and local rags left hookers around 21 ,22 k 2006 on the prevous ford transit with the floor mounted gear stick

Upvote 0

ian81

Free Member
May 27, 2008
Funster No
What does a term like 'Winterised' mean? A simple definition I guess is able to stand up to the rigours of winter. But what sort of winter?
But is there a more defined definiton? Has anyone done any tests to see which vans loose most heat?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What does a term like 'Winterised' mean? A simple definition I guess is able to stand up to the rigours of winter. But what sort of winter?
But is there a more defined definiton? Has anyone done any tests to see which vans loose most heat?

Yes there is a definition and classification for insulation,

EN 1646-1 for heating and thermal insulation, the highest is Grade 3

CLASSIFICATION of THERMAL INSULATION and HEATING

Grade 3. A caravan including windows, doors and rooflights
in which the average thermal transmittance (U) of the
elements of construction shall not exceed 1.2W/(m2K).

An average temperature difference of at least 35K between
inside and outside temperatures shall be achieved when the
outside temperature is -15C.

Precautions shall be taken to ensure that the fresh water
supply can be filled at the end of the stabilising time of
one hour according to Annexe M. Then the fresh water service
shall operate when the outside temperature is -15C.

..... the average thermal transmittance coefficient (U) shall
be calculated in accordance with Annexe L or, for grades 2
and 3, tested in accordance with the method of test given in
Annexe M, according to the manufacturer's choice.

In the European standard it says regarding thermal insulation:

‘Thermal insulation will be classified using three grades, the manufacturer must calculate the average ‘U’ value for the product and this will determine the grade. The NCC Certificate of Approval will clearly indicate the grade to which the product will be certificated. Those manufacturers seeking grade 3 classification (the highest) will need to ensure the water system will still operate when the outside temperature is –15 degrees C’.

Edit

I just found this on another site:

Category 2:
The heating system must be able to warm up the interior from outside temperature to 20 degrees C within 2 hours at an outside temperature of 0 degrees C.

Category 3:
The heating system must be able to warm up the interior from outside temperature to 20 degrees C within 2 hours at an outside temperature of -10 degrees C. In addition it must be possible after one hour to fill and use the water system and the heating must keep it frost free.

As a conclusion I would say that for the average English winter (Scotland and Wales intentionally excluded) Cat 2 should suffice, while for continental winter Cat 3 is recommended.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
staging lady

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks everybody for the advice.
I agree the exchange rate has made a difference to the value you get and now is probably not the best time to look as lots of people are thinking of buying a MH to take the kids away this summer.
But I can't bear the thought of no MH until November!!

Now I don't have to follow school holidays we can go away from March to June and September to November hence the winterised.
I will look at the Euromobile,coroner, and elderly Hymers- the only problem with then is they all seem to have only three seatbelts.
Thanks for the valuable technical spec ,Scotjimland, I didn't know it existed.

Lucille

Upvote 0

vava1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Simply check:

1. Fresh water tank is inside habitation area
2. Plumbing is internal
3. Grey water tank can be external but needs to be insulated and heated if it is
4. Heating and hot water systems in good order (Alde is best, silent, most effective, if you can get it)
5. Van has enough gas capacity to run heating if off hook-up
6. Heating and hot water system can both run on electric if 5 is a problem

Upvote 0

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
Hi Lucille,
good luck with your search you must be feeling excited and frustrated all at the same time:ROFLMAO:

le us know the result:thumb:

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
German vans are built to withstand a northern eurpean winter, whilst british vans a southern european summer so the choice is fairly easy pre 2005 if Fiat based......
But dont forget to mention, if it's Fiat based you cant even buy a replacement filler cap for a van just over five years old. :RollEyes:
Link Removed

Other than that, this is an interesting thread.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I use my caravan all year round and my old 1994 Bailey caravan is toasty warm on nights when outside temps have been down to at least - 5C. The elderly Elddis motorhome I used to have was the same, with the bonus of an on board water and waste tank which didn't freeze up.

So what advantage is there in paying extra for a "winterised" continental make of motorhome instead of a British one?

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I use my caravan all year round and my old 1994 Bailey caravan is toasty warm on nights when outside temps have been down to at least - 5C. The elderly Elddis motorhome I used to have was the same, with the bonus of an on board water and waste tank which didn't freeze up.

So what advantage is there in paying extra for a "winterised" continental make of motorhome instead of a British one?
I'd suspect the short answer to that is "they don't make em like that anymore"!

Not strictly true because manufacturers can, and will, install extra insulation........but it comes as an 'extra' and at a price.
You got it as standard.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
So are you saying that since the mid nineties, the UK manufacturers have been skimping on insulation in caravans & motorhomes?

Upvote 0

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
My last T4 was winterised. 240v fan heater, silver screens, and good thick sleeping bags:winky:

Been all over during the winter, and managed to keep warm, which is better than not going at all. My current Hobby 600 is fully winterised.

Good luck in finding what you need.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Hi Lucille,
Hymers are very well insulated a pity vans don't have tog ratings like duvets!! A Hymer b544 similar to mine has 2 belts in the rear. We used it when our 2 daughters came with us on holiday and I had a lot of confidence in the vehicle. The Hymers boasts steel cage to protect passengers.
Its easy to get hooked isn't it !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
staging lady

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Bigfoot,
Good to hear about your Hymer. We passed three in a row today on the way to Llandudno from brand new to quite old. They seem to keep their value well ,don't they?

I think we have found " it "! But everything is not quite settled so I'm still trying not to get excited...... When it goes through I will bore you all to death with piccies and praises.:whatthe:
Lucille

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back