Which vans are winterised?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by staging lady, Jun 23, 2009.

1. staging lady

staging lady Funster

We have decided we love motorhoming after the last 18months. Now it's time to think about getting something pre-loved and a little younger than our Frankia. So now the big decision. We have £20000 ono to spend with no px.
    For me the things I want as essential are:
    Winterised van
    4 seatbelts ( believe it or not the daughters still go away with us)
    A fixed bed or pull down bed and lounge that you dont have to crawl over those below to get to the loo in the night

Dave wants
    A class
    Not too long

We both want left hand drive
    We have looked at lots of vans
    Could you tell me
    1) Are all of the following winterised? Hymer,Burstner,Hobby, Adria,pilote,Rapido,Esterrel,Knaus. Are any others ( properly) wintereised? Frankia is out of our price range. Are there any other winterised vans?
    2) Lots of elderly Hymers but most have 3 seat belts only with layout not allowing 4th belt. Should I forget these vans?
    3) Is it better to buy a reliable older Hymer and use the momey saved to put in the toys- TV etc. Or go for something electonic and more modern?
    Sorry post is so long but appreciate all help as I am driving Dave mad looking at vans on the net!
    Lucille

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i say go to germany ,look fora one off build by neissman biscoff or the like . most standard vans arent good enough build quality for cold winters .thats why europe goes to spain etc in winter.

3. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

Our Adria Vision is certainly winterised as I think the others are too - most continental vans are, but I don't think its within your budget. Price is around the £35K mark these days for a 2006/7 van (thats when they first came out). I think £20K may get an older Hymer, possibly an older Niesmann and Bischoff, but it will be difficult to find Carthagos / Frankias etc which are not ancient and still within your price range. Haganap has an Adria - perhaps he can advise on his model and a rough guide to price. They are great vans and excellent value for money.:thumb:

Good luck with your search. :Smile:

4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

My recommendation would be to find a nice old German: much better in my view than a younger British model! (This rule applies solely to vans you understand.)

Ours is well-winterised, but it's from 2003 and that vintage is over your budget (also, the layout does not match your spec.). We have been away for three days & nights when the temperature never exceeded -5°C (much colder during the night). All OK - just kept the heating ticking over all the time.
    The guys who wrote 'Go Motorhoming Europe' (Vicarious Books) used an early 90's Hymer B654 for full-timing. They reported no problems despite being in Romania and Bulgaria at -20° C. That vintage would be well within your budget.

Philip

5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

German vans are built to withstand a northern eurpean winter, whilst british vans a southern european summer so the choice is fairly easy.pre 2005 if Fiat based, and pre Sprinter if Mercedes based. Other than that just pick your choice of layout. The gap in price between buying in England or German is narrowing because of the exchange rate so beware before rushing off to German, though of course there is a greater choice there. Good luck with your search. Its a buyers market out there.

6. coroner

coroner Read Only Funster

We have a eura mobil profila 660 coach built if you look for a profila 580 the one down still has double floor fully winterised and you may get one for around 20k if you look i have seen 2 on ebay and local rags left hookers around 21 ,22 k 2006 on the prevous ford transit with the floor mounted gear stick

7. ian81

ian81 Read Only Funster

What does a term like 'Winterised' mean? A simple definition I guess is able to stand up to the rigours of winter. But what sort of winter?
    But is there a more defined definiton? Has anyone done any tests to see which vans loose most heat?

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Yes there is a definition and classification for insulation,

EN 1646-1 for heating and thermal insulation, the highest is Grade 3

CLASSIFICATION of THERMAL INSULATION and HEATING

Grade 3. A caravan including windows, doors and rooflights
    in which the average thermal transmittance (U) of the
    elements of construction shall not exceed 1.2W/(m2K).

An average temperature difference of at least 35K between
    inside and outside temperatures shall be achieved when the
    outside temperature is -15C.

Precautions shall be taken to ensure that the fresh water
    supply can be filled at the end of the stabilising time of
    one hour according to Annexe M. Then the fresh water service
    shall operate when the outside temperature is -15C.

..... the average thermal transmittance coefficient (U) shall
    be calculated in accordance with Annexe L or, for grades 2
    and 3, tested in accordance with the method of test given in
    Annexe M, according to the manufacturer's choice.

In the European standard it says regarding thermal insulation:

‘Thermal insulation will be classified using three grades, the manufacturer must calculate the average ‘U’ value for the product and this will determine the grade. The NCC Certificate of Approval will clearly indicate the grade to which the product will be certificated. Those manufacturers seeking grade 3 classification (the highest) will need to ensure the water system will still operate when the outside temperature is –15 degrees C’.

Edit

I just found this on another site:

Category 2:
    The heating system must be able to warm up the interior from outside temperature to 20 degrees C within 2 hours at an outside temperature of 0 degrees C.

Category 3:
    The heating system must be able to warm up the interior from outside temperature to 20 degrees C within 2 hours at an outside temperature of -10 degrees C. In addition it must be possible after one hour to fill and use the water system and the heating must keep it frost free.

As a conclusion I would say that for the average English winter (Scotland and Wales intentionally excluded) Cat 2 should suffice, while for continental winter Cat 3 is recommended.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  9. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Thanks everybody for the advice.
    I agree the exchange rate has made a difference to the value you get and now is probably not the best time to look as lots of people are thinking of buying a MH to take the kids away this summer.
    But I can't bear the thought of no MH until November!!

Now I don't have to follow school holidays we can go away from March to June and September to November hence the winterised.
    I will look at the Euromobile,coroner, and elderly Hymers- the only problem with then is they all seem to have only three seatbelts.
    Thanks for the valuable technical spec ,Scotjimland, I didn't know it existed.

Lucille

10. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

This might be worth considering

>>1997 B640<<

11. vava1

vava1 Read Only Funster

Simply check:

1. Fresh water tank is inside habitation area
    2. Plumbing is internal
    3. Grey water tank can be external but needs to be insulated and heated if it is
    4. Heating and hot water systems in good order (Alde is best, silent, most effective, if you can get it)
    5. Van has enough gas capacity to run heating if off hook-up
    6. Heating and hot water system can both run on electric if 5 is a problem

12. RuthRv

RuthRv Read Only Funster

Hi Lucille,
    good luck with your search you must be feeling excited and frustrated all at the same time:Rofl1:

le us know the result:thumb:

13. coroner

coroner Read Only Funster

14. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Thanks everyone, we are going to see a van tomorrow- fingers crossed!
    Lucille:Smile:

15. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

now now lucille tell me more?

16. MaureenD

MaureenD Read Only Funster

Oh JIM wheres the beautiful little girl gone. Bring her back please.

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

aww.. didn't you like my old man picture .. ?

all sorted :thumb:

18. MaureenD

MaureenD Read Only Funster

She is beautiful and much more pleasing to see

19. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

But dont forget to mention, if it's Fiat based you cant even buy a replacement filler cap for a van just over five years old. :RollEyes:
    http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/tech-...get-replacement-ducato-diesel-filler-cap.html

Other than that, this is an interesting thread.

20. Caztur

Caztur Funster

I use my caravan all year round and my old 1994 Bailey caravan is toasty warm on nights when outside temps have been down to at least - 5C. The elderly Elddis motorhome I used to have was the same, with the bonus of an on board water and waste tank which didn't freeze up.

So what advantage is there in paying extra for a "winterised" continental make of motorhome instead of a British one?