Which van to choose (1 Viewer)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Currently thinking of purchasing a Hymer Classic 684 or the newer shape 682cl.
The 684 is based on a Fiat 2.8jtd, the 682 is on the Ford Transit chassis with the 2.2 (130)engine.

Exterior construction is different, the later van appears much more modern, internally they are virtually identical.

The difference in price between a 2006 fiat based 684 and a 2007 Ford based 682 is around £5000.

Which would you choose ?

Attachments

• untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Currently thinking of purchasing a Hymer Classic 684 or the newer shape 682cl.
The 684 is based on a Fiat 2.8jtd, the 682 is on the Ford Transit chassis with the 2.2 (130)engine.

Exterior construction is different, the later van appears much more modern, internally they are virtually identical.

The difference in price between a 2006 fiat based 684 and a 2007 Ford based 682 is around £5000.

Which would you choose ?
I'd go with the Ford because I'm not especially fond of the Fiat, purely personal preference of course....:thumb:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The man who looks after my car likes Ford best but says that's probably because he has more experience with them. I'd chose Ford over Fiat but don't know why..... for commercial vehicles I don't think there is a lot of difference in quality, reliability etc.

My previous MH's have been Toyota and Merc base vehicles, no experience of the Fiat and the only Fords were Transit vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Any particular reason Deuce ?
I was pleased with my 2.5tdi Fiat.
Heard generally good things about the Ford, don't recall hearing bad things about the Fiat ??

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
£5k for a year in vehicle registration???

If pretty much everything is similar go for the cheaper one.

Make sure the fiat does not have the rear judder (sorry I cant remember which ones have it) I am sure another member can advise you further on this.

Both pictures look good.

Have you laid on the bed and tried it out not all beds are the same size. Can the oven take a full chicken. Does the fridge freezer meet your needs. Can you store what you have in the storage space in each of the motorhomes.

Good luck with your choice xxx

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
£5k for a year in vehicle registration???

If pretty much everything is similar go for the cheaper one.

Make sure the fiat does not have the rear judder (sorry I cant remember which ones have it) I am sure another member can advise you further on this.

Both pictures look good.

Have you laid on the bed and tried it out not all beds are the same size. Can the oven take a full chicken. Does the fridge freezer meet your needs. Can you store what you have in the storage space in each of the motorhomes.

Good luck with your choice xxx
Have considered all these points. Fridge is a slight compromise, NO oven is certainly a compromise, but the layout is perfect ( Have thought LOTS about this )
Very few vans have double dinette, single dinette (or bench) plus bunks.

We are watching another van which does tick ALL the boxes, but build quality is slightly lower and the seller is asking too much money (in my opinion).
Most wary of buying a van on the recent Fiat base, potential problems with judder and so on...

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
seriously ours is fiat based, providing you do all the right checks there shouldnt be a problem.

Get a proper vehicle check done it may cost a few hundred but thats what we did and certainly with one vehicle we looked at (actually a hymer) the few hundred potentially saved us thousands and we didnt buy it.

Good luck

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Any particular reason Deuce ?
I was pleased with my 2.5tdi Fiat.
Heard generally good things about the Ford, don't recall hearing bad things about the Fiat ??
Purely based on my experience with Transits.
Over the years I've done 1000's of miles in them and never really had any major problems to speak of.
Plus the parts have always been pretty reasonable and servicing was always fairly cheap and accessible.
I've never even driven a modern Fiat so I can't speak with any degree of authority on them so, like I said, it's purely my personal preference.
Probably not much help really, sorry....:Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'd go for rwd if the Ford has it. Fwd is pretty useless.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Fridge is a slight compromise, NO oven is certainly a compromise, but the layout is perfect ( Have thought LOTS about this )

Is the "no oven" that great a compromise as you could get a halogen oven or a combination oven/microwave/grill for when you are on EHU?

This is only my personal opinion but better to compromise on the galley than on layout as you can always find a way round galley issues.

You can always make an offer on the van that is too expensive - you've nothing to lose and they might just take the offer.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Layout Layout Layout

Don't worry about the chasis they're all good, we've had a Fiat 2.8 jtd now for nearly 4 years done a lot of travelling here and abroad and its brilliant. Like you I was worried about it but decided to follow the golden rule of layout first, so glad I did as the other van I wanted was on a Merc but at 8.5 metres is just too big for comfortable stress free travelling.

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Our Fiat 2.8 has never given us any problems.

To be honest I trust the MH motor more than the car. The MH starts first time every time.

Our MH is up for sale.....shameless, truly shameless!!

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Some great responses coming here - thank you !

This transit has fwd - I can live with that.

Halogen oven is my solution, the missus isn't convinced - yet !
Think we could retrofit an oven under the sink, just haven't seen one with it done.

Can't compromise on layout, perhaps L shape lounge plus bench, otherwise layout is fixed.

Length is a consideration. A Euramobil 770 or 810 with single beds at rear is perfect, alko chassis, full oven, top build quality BUT they're 8m plus...

Seen plenty with low mileage, I suspect this is because they don't get used enough.
I want to go everywhere, so 8m plus is not an option.

The Ford is recent design and technology but is it worth 5k more for just a year newer ?
This is my dilemma !

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If you can keep under 8m you'll find touring so much easier. We're 7.7 and wouldn't consider going an inch over its perfect for long term touring but can still go anywhere has fixed bed, oven, big lounge and large garage. They are out there if you look hard enough.:thumb:
Good luck.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
IMO save the 5k ::bigsmile:Lad across the rd stalled his 2007 transit and was rolling so bumped it kna---g his injectors and some electronic thing - almost £1000 cost in parts only a week later and fuel pump packed up and what did that do ? trashed the injectors and electronic thing again giving him a bill for over 2.5 k :Smile: never heard of that happening to the fiat :winky:
terry

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
You can always make an offer on the van that is too expensive - you've nothing to lose and they might just take the offer.

I've had a lengthy conversation with the seller, and think I made a good case for why my offer is reasonable / why they're asking too much.
However, fully respect that they can ask whatever they want, and at the moment they don't want to sell it to me....

The van is a private sale at very near dealer price, I've offered 2k less, they're not interested. Suspect my offer is thousands over trade in...and probably above 'fair value' ...but I am interested in the van...

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I have only driven a 2.2 transit work van with 5 gears and it was very evident that it needed another gear, revvy not much torque and was quite juicy, not impressed:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back