manners

Free Member
Sep 7, 2008
High Peak
Funster No
MH
pop top
Exp
... of van that is, we currently have a Ford Freda pop top camper which we are thinking of taking to the French Alps in late spring. It suits us for weekends in the UK but if we enjoy are first Europe trip we are thinking of maybe an upgrade.
I need a van ideally that can be used on a daily basis, that can negotiate country lanes (lakes, Peak District etc) two berth with a toilet /shower. Am i right in thinking a van conversion would be better or is there a coach built that would be just as suitable? Also what are the pros and cons of either type of van? resale, rust/fatigue finish etc.

cheers manners.

OP
OP
M

manners

Free Member
Sep 7, 2008
High Peak
Funster No
MH
pop top
Exp
Wow:thumb: thanks guys :Sad: 60 views and not one piece of advice maybe i'll stick to the Freda at least on the Fury you get some kind of response.

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I hope you did not take offence with the lack of help, but I don't usually try to give advice if I don't know the answer, I think most of us are a bit like that.
We own a 30ft 5th wheel and a large US demountable, so I don't believe we are qualified to advise you.
I am sure someone will come along to help you.
Nigel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

This is a difficult question to answer because everybody has their own opinion about how well they can handle their rv. We have a class c american rv, 24" long.

I find it difficul to manouver through country lanes etc and watch in envy as I see coach builds and panel van conversion navigate the most difficult of roads with no problem.

The point is what would you yourself be comfortable in living in.

Theres not a lot of space in some of the coach builds or panel vans.

I have become to know my vehicle and know where I can and cant go. You will soon realsie where you can get to.

Choose a vehicle that you will enjoy living in otherwise you will be unhappy and regret your choice.

You will definatley come to terms with where and wherenot you can navigate to. Its surprising where a large rv can go.

Its all a case of trying it and finding out. Nobody can tell you

Happy Days & Cheers

Jim

:thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi manners & welcome,as said difficult to advise on :winky: how big do you want to go ?you can use most pvc's for everyday use along with some say 18 ft coachbuilts.Much over this and you suffer every day use,so it's a case of getting around dealers and looking at what you want.Then when you decide search for that model :ROFLMAO: everywhere :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

silverbike

Free Member
May 13, 2008
Funster No
We have an Autosleeper Symbol (van conversion) which we use for both weekends and longer holidays eg 4 weeks on the Scottish Islands, 6 weeks in France, Spain and Morocco.
Advantages
- can go wherever 'white van man' can go
- will fit into a supermarket parking space
- can be used as a second car
- rear and wide side doors make it good for load carrying
- metal body, so possibly easier to repair slight knocks and scrapes
- good as a sightseeing vehicle because of high seating position (true of most motorhomes but not 'Romahomes')
- under 6m length means cheaper ferry costs and easier to park at home
Disadvantages
-???
Best to go to a large dealer or one of the shows (NEC comes up later this month) and have a good poke round to see what layouts you prefer for sleeping, eating and lounging before you decide. You might also need to think what you're going to need in the case of belted seats. Are there just the 2 of you and if so are you ever going to carry someone in the rear?
Have fun looking!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

manners

Free Member
Sep 7, 2008
High Peak
Funster No
MH
pop top
Exp
Thanks for the replies we went looking yesterday and saw a lot that we liked but a couple that would be more practical these being the Fiat Trigano Tribute and the Ford Autosleeper Duetto the latter being 33k:Eeek: for a second hand Transit!!! Any info on these or similar van conversions will be most welcome.

cheers Manners.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back