Which type of water hose to buy (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Need to buy a waterhose for our new motorhome. Is it necessary to buy food grade - I don't plan to drink the tap water unless it's been boiled for tea/coffee/cooking. I would definately want a flat hose reel type for ease of storage - how come the motorhome ones are so much more expensive than the 'garden hose' ones? Is there a difference in the connectors maybe?
Advice welcome please.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Need to buy a waterhose for our new motorhome. Is it necessary to buy food grade - I don't plan to drink the tap water unless it's been boiled for tea/coffee/cooking. I would definately want a flat hose reel type for ease of storage - how come [HI]the motorhome ones are so much more expensive than the 'garden hose' ones[/HI]? Is there a difference in the connectors maybe?
Advice welcome please.

I think you answered your own question there, every thing associated with Moho, is expensive:RollEyes: but seriously if your going to boil or even as we did use a 5ltr water bottle that has contained drinking water to fetch your domestic water directly from the tap use garden hose by all means. I once had a neighbouring motorhome preaching to me the virtues of using food grade hose, as I looked around he had his hose connected to a length of garden hose as an extension:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I bought a flat food grade hose which came in a plastic cassette and looked to be just the ticket, but it's actually a pain in the neck. The cassette is quite flimsy and often falls to bits when unrolling the hose - it clips back together OK but is a nuisance. Perhaps the most disappointing aspect though is that it's necessary to unroll the whole length of the hose before it can be used - I guess this is an obvious failing of store-flat hoses and maybe unavoidable. I'm planning to buy a much shorter length of normal hose for use when parked next to the fill point (90% of the time this is how I fill up, on the way onto the site) and just use the long, flat hose when needed.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I just use the garden hose when filling up at home and we are both still alive and kicking!:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
We use garden hose-- x2 short lengths which can be clipped together to make for a far off tap.

Use only x1 shorter length for a close tap--saves getting tangled up with lots of hose.

We drink water from the tank using ordanairy hose (not thrown up yet).
It`s a rip off paying more as all water may go (off) if it sits in any type of coiled up hose in your MH for a while.
Get a collection of tap connectors for all types of tap here and abroad.

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Martharoly

If you think motorhome stuff is expensive, never buy a boat! Believe me, anything with the word 'marine' in the title is gonna cost you big time.

On hoses, the garden hose will always taint the water as they have a grey plastic lining which seems to be the culprit, even boiling the water doesn't get rid of it. Food grade is the way to go and is about £1.50 a meter, plus £3 for a hozelock fitting and bobs your uncle.

It can work out very expensive tho, last July we went to a motorhome dealer for 10 metres of hose for our boat. While there we had a good look round and bought a hose and a motorhome :Eeek:

£25,015 ouch

Good luck,

Andy

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Need to buy a waterhose for our new motorhome. Is it necessary to buy food grade - I don't plan to drink the tap water unless it's been boiled for tea/coffee/cooking. I would definately want a flat hose reel type for ease of storage - how come the motorhome ones are so much more expensive than the 'garden hose' ones? Is there a difference in the connectors maybe?
Advice welcome please.

If you're not planning to drink the water from the tank then I don't see as it matters whether it's food grade hose or not. :Smile:

Each to their own, but I much prefer round hose to flat. You don't have to unroll the full length to use it and it's not as likely to spring leaks. I bought 30m of round hose and cut it into three lengths - 3m, 9m and 18m - with connectors so that it can all be joined up. That way you can use an appropriate length for just about any circumstance.

It`s a rip off paying more as all water may go (off) if it sits in any type of coiled up hose in your MH for a while.

That's why it's a good idea to flush the hose through before you put it into the tank. :Smile:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Waterhose

Hi,

When we bought our first van 7 years ago, we bought one of those 25m flat, blue, food-grade hoses which coils on a reel. But like you, we never use the onboard water for drinking, so the only advantages [for us at least] in having such a hose with us are:

1] length of hose
2] the fact that it flattens and once reeled-in, takes up little space.

The disadvantages are:

1] cost, though it is still going strong after 7 years, so am happy with the purchase
2] its an absolute sod to empty the hose and rewind it after use! maybe its me, but I spend ages squeezing the water out of the hose by hand so that I can get it back on the reel.

So within weeks, we had cannibalised a garden hose, cutting a length of about 6m and whenever I can, I use this instead [park closer to the taps/get a service pitch/fill up on arrival at the MSP. this shorter hose will reach under the van if the tap is on the other side.

Final point is about connections; I have loads of different ones, and have found that whichever I have fitted at the time, it is never one which matches the site's! I keep thinking I have every one under the sun, but every so often come across a new type. Worst was at the Edinburgh Club site which required a male/male connector! the site shop sold them.......of course!

I always carry both hoses by the way.

Gary:Smile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i got a roll of food grade hose for ours from our local builders merchants was less than £1 a meter if you bought the roll but closer to £1.50 a metre if you just wanted a length.

if you want a flat one there are some that are made of 3 small bore hoses joined together that can be used without fully unwinding although if you are filling a large tank it may take some time.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Flat hoses are a pain as said by others, laying them out full length on a muddy / freshly cut wet site and having to roll them back up in the rain or snow - no thanks.

As others we drink from containers and have 3 differing lengths of hose (yellow and some blue from a camping shop. Much more convenient.:thumb:

Would also recommend buying a Heos water filling connector, saves trying to hold your hose down the filler neck.:thumb:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Simple answer is fit a Nature pure. You can then fill up from a rusty can.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:...... and don't do what I did at the Utoxeter meet..... I filled my tank up from the farm tap with THEIR hose. It was brilliant ... really strong jet so I thought it would take half the time. It took AGES.

When I got to Utoxeter the inside of my van was flooded... I hadn't noticed before I drove off as I was in the cab area...... Even my upholstery was soaked. When filling the tank the jet was so strong it had pushed the sealant up at the top and shot the lid off the tank ... a strong fountain jet going up to the upholstery, and there was about an inch of water in my van!!!! :Sad:

Spent the weekend, With Eddie's help, drying carpets and upholstery out..

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
It can work out very expensive tho, last July we went to a motorhome dealer for 10 metres of hose for our boat. While there we had a good look round and bought a hose and a motorhome :Eeek: Andy

Its easily done. I think they put some sort of gas into the air conditioning that makes it impossible not to buy one. They pump in gallons of the stuff at the NEC!

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I got a garden hose and a waterin can (thanks to scotjimland`s photo)
and I use it most of the time:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a flat roll, a spiral spring and a 5 meter length all food grade.

I use the short length if I can park next to it. I add the spiral if it is within 10 meters and drag out the flat hose if I am being particularly lazy and can't be arsed to move... I have even been known to link all three together just so I don't have to start the engine.

I buy the food grade as it is a one off expense and I don't see the point in risking my health anymore than I do with my smoking:Doh::ROFLMAO:

bmb1uk

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
LEICS
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
the tap water must be a bit rough on uttoxiter, if you have to boil it first :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Garden hose at home.

25 ltr container on site, fill at tap and use external shower as a pump to pump it in, don`t even carry a hose.

Never had a problem but you have to be able to carry the full 25 ltr container from the tap to the van so obviously not suitable for everyone.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Garden hose at home and I suppose its pretty uneconomical BUT I fill up my tank before I leave home and I have not had to refill on site yet and yes we do have a shower but I do carry a flat one just in case

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back