Which type of satellite system? (1 Viewer)

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
I currently have a Maxview dome, but the cover has disintegrated....helped by a bash by an overhead branch. I cannot source a new one quickly as they are out of stock.

Having considered options I am thinking about a new system. I cannot drive the van as it is without constantly taping the system up to prevent rain getting in...it has a bit, I fear.

As mine is 6 years old I wondered about a new one, but am torn about which. I must confess to feeling a bit wary of another dome. Low branches are all too common. I suppose if I was not a bit anxious about that I would possibly wait for a replacement.

I only use it in the UK, mainly Scotland (Mull, Outer Hebrides and further North). I often travel alone in winter, when it is dark early so the TV is useful. That probably rules out a dish due to the wind. I want a twin lnb. I was wondering about the Oyster Cytrac. Does anyone have experience of using this in the wind? How do they perform compared to a dome? Do they retract automatically on starting the engine....like my step does?

Thanks
Julie

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Julie quite a few recommendations for the Snipe Antenna v2 which comes in twin lnb has a good low profile,auto-seek robust in windy conditions and can be used in both the U.K./Europe.(y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Camos 40 dome (still sold by Roadpro but now re-branded with their own name). If I were choosing a system mainly for use in Scotland, particularly west coast and islands, I would have no hesitation on choosing the same again. The fact that it can be used in strong winds is the clinching argument for me. Also, replacement covers are available from Roadpro in the event of damaging the original.

Link Removed

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/product/0...nt-40cm-cover-for-rpro-sat-dome-d31u01/D31U01

p.s. if you are only using it in the UK, you could probably get away with the 30cm model, rather than the 40cm version, which would save a bit of money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
Thanks. I am rather wary of domes. I have had no problem in 6 years, but the way the cover has degraded presumably due to uv light means I suspect another branch in a few years might shatter that one too. It is certainly no problem in the wind.....does cause wind noise though when driving.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I currently have a Maxview dome, but the cover has disintegrated....helped by a bash by an overhead branch. I cannot source a new one quickly as they are out of stock.

Having considered options I am thinking about a new system. I cannot drive the van as it is without constantly taping the system up to prevent rain getting in...it has a bit, I fear.

As mine is 6 years old I wondered about a new one, but am torn about which. I must confess to feeling a bit wary of another dome. Low branches are all too common. I suppose if I was not a bit anxious about that I would possibly wait for a replacement.

I only use it in the UK, mainly Scotland (Mull, Outer Hebrides and further North). I often travel alone in winter, when it is dark early so the TV is useful. That probably rules out a dish due to the wind. I want a twin lnb. I was wondering about the Oyster Cytrac. Does anyone have experience of using this in the wind? How do they perform compared to a dome? Do they retract automatically on starting the engine....like my step does?

Thanks
Julie
Contact Nick at Adventure Motorhomes in Highbridge Somerset He has the lids made and has them in stock at very reasonable prices

Waste of money to buy a whole new system for a lid!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
Yep, only Maxview do them, but they are not in stock.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I find it shocking that such an expensive piece of kit has failed in only 6 years! Maxview charge like the Gordon Highlanders for these systems & frankly I've never been able to understand how they get away with the prices?
It'd be interesting for a consumer programme to break one of these systems down & add up the cost in parts to actually build the system? The fact that this dome has begun to disintegrate is shameful. The tree branch hitting it is a risk that is difficult to avoid, other than mounting the dome on the offside there is very little we can do to protect it & even mounting it on the offside wouldn't help in Europe.

Good luck in finding a new system & I shall follow this post with interest as we're currently in the market for a satellite system.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
At least if you buy a new one it will fit straight on your brackets and you'll have spare parts

OP
OP

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
That is interesting, Andy. Maxview stopped making these several years ago....they did one that looks more like the Roadpro most recently. Now they do not make a similar system so this must already be getting on a bit.
For that price, I would go for a Rpoadpro. Although I notice that their controllers are the same as this one with the old satellite names.
Might see if they have a spare cover knocking around though....you never know!

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I was wondering about the Oyster Cytrac. Does anyone have experience of using this in the wind? How do they perform compared to a dome? Do they retract automatically on starting the engine....like my step does?

Thanks
Julie

The only issue I have found with the Cytrac in high winds is when the wind hits the dish side on, it vibrates a little but other than that no issues. The dish performs well with the wind hitting it face on or to the rear. I had a road pro dome on the tin tent and it performed well but did raise the tin tents height quite a bit and did momentarily lose the satellite signal in very high winds but that was probably due to the movement of the van in the wind and not the domes fault. Also I had the dome fitted onto the offside of the van to help counter against damage from trees on the roadside when traversing narrow roads. With the Cytrac it is fitted onto the offside as well and folds down to being 14cm high when retracted and yes it goes down automatically when you switch on the ignition, as long as the control box is connected to an ignition live. I had the fitter hide the control boxes inside a cupboard as you only need to press the button once to switch on the system then once more to raise the dish after that there is no reason to go near the control box other than to drop the dish manually. We where up at Durness in September and according to my handheld anemometer the wind was blowing 42mph with gusts of up to 57mph. The wind was hitting the dish from the side and that is how I found out about the vibrating though it did not affect our evenings viewing though I did drop the dish when we went to bed. We tend to stop on coastal areas as both Elaine and Daisy the cocker enjoy the beaches which are usually very windy especially up here on the West Coast of Scotland. This was the reason I opted for the Cytrac system over a Oyster dish and the dome was a no go as it would have raised the MoHo's height to much.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

http://download.ten-haaft.com/Datenblatt/Data_en/en_datasheet_cytrac-vision.pdf

HTH Brian (y)

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Another vote for the Cytrac. I've got the premium with the Avtex tv, not cheap, but worth it IMO. Just one button on the remote turns the Tv on, raises the dish and locks on to the satellite, job done.
Not had any issues in the wind, and I've been out in some pretty stormy stuff! Also has a brilliant range, went down as far as just south of Annecy this summer and still gave perfect freesat viewing. Another plus for it is the low height, 140mm when parked, its no higher than the roof lights
Very pleased with it

OP
OP

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
Thank you Lorryman and Gcs. Just what I needed to know. I liked the look of the TV deal, but I have a drop down bracket in a dedicated cupboard so only a 16" will fit....sadly the new slimline, narrow bezel 18" is a few centimetres too wide.

On a similar note ( and posted in a less funny forum!) I use a Humax receiver with PVR that is supposed to run from 12v but does not start up unless it is powered by 240 or inverter. The inverter is power hungry and also shuts down after a couple of hours. This is unrelated to battery levels so I think either overheats or decides it has had enough. The new Avtex might be the answer so when off grid I can use that and the Humax when on hookup. I like a bit of telly when out on my own in the winter when it is dark at 4pm.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No problem with the Snipe in high winds, I even managed to drive a 100 miles with it up without causing any damage.

Last edited:
OP
OP

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
Update: Maxview have the replacemnet lids now so I can repair the existing unit......much the cheapest option.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back