Which type of heating is best, Truma, Truma E, Truma Diesel, Webasco? (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Alde wet system for us with the engine heat exchanger for travelling but our only comparison is the Caravan we had with blown air and a convector fire.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Factor in the cost of refillable bottles or fixed tank over an already-present diesel tank and the gap narrows considerably!
Ahh, but I wasn't suggesting the installation of refillable cylinders or a bulk tank Jon, ie,
.............if on refillable gas, I'd possibly opt for the Truma E.
;)

If I didn't have that refillable option on a PVC, I'd possibly go for http://pbautoelectrics.co.uk/shop/w...installation-1-outlet-ducting-kit-4111385rc1/
or if I needed the hot water facility, one of these , but at more than twice the price unfortunately. http://www.elyboatchandlers.com/eberspacher

Like others, I have used Webastos and Eberspachers in commercial vehicles with bunks, and found them to be efficient with regards to heat output, but I've not had to worry about running costs, options, or servicing.

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Thank you everyone, for your replies which were helpful and very informative. I am very grateful to you all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Further to my last post, the reason I emailed Webasto was to enquire how long an extension could be ftted to my heater combustion intake.
Our Dualtop lies in the firing line of water spray and dust from the left front wheel. I have developed a theory that spray and dust was being sucked into the burner, accelerating burner clogging and carbon build up.
Well, tonight when I got home, I removed the intake silencer and short intake hose. It was full of dirt!!!!!

This explains our high burner servicing frequency! I have ordered 2 metres (the maximum allowable length) of 22mm silicon hose and I will relocate the intake out of harms way.
This should extend servicing intervals! The Dualtops are all mounted externally in differing positions. If you suspect dirt is being drawn in whilst on the road, this is a very cheap and effective modification.

I will update you in two years time!!!!
Do you change your own burner assy.? I too have a Webasto DualTop (faultless after 3.1/2 years) and have never had it serviced. I would be interested in pictures for idiots if this is something you undertake your self.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It won't stop there!

We'll keep arguing about heaters now for months to come!!!!!:Eeek:
Yes indeed, this is the season for heaters!

Our PVC has a Webasto dual top but it is mounted internally, at the bottom of the wardrobe under a removable cover. The disadvantage of this we found on our recent trip to Spain - it made the bottom of the wardrobe warm and heated up the beer and sherry we were storing above it when we were travelling. Not ideal. This wasn't a problem when we stopped as the booze was put in the front footwells either side of the dog but it was when moving during the day.

So we turned it off, the heater that is, not the dog, (haven't found that off switch yet) after breakfast which was hardly a problem as the weather was warm and the hot water stayed warm enough to do any washing up at lunch and the diesel heater re-heated the water very quickly in the evening.

We haven't had any problems with our Webasto but a not uncommon problem I have heard of is clogging of the drain valve due to hard water. A 5% solution of citric acid used once a year seems to do the trick. Webasto have published instructions on how to do this but I can't find my copy at the moment.

Edit, belay the above, found the instructions:

Attachments

• DESCALING YOUR WEBASTO BOILER.pdf
    109.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They USED to!

The latest generation are better controlled and simply tick over at a low heat output rather than stopping and starting.
If you check the technical specifications you will find there is little difference between a Webasto Dualtop and Truma Combi in respect of their 12v useage.
We are quite happy with the performance of our Dualtop in the Alpine winter without EHU.
We certainly don't have to recharge our batteries any more frequently than anyone else on the aire.
Since most motorhomes carry crap leisure batteries anyway, its easy to blame the heater. Those who complain about their diesel heater would probably say the same about a Truma Combi if they had one!
Good! A friend has an Eberspacher on a 2006 van & it is the stop / start variety. It can be pretty heavy on the 12v supply as it switches on & off - due obviously to the heater in the combustion chamber. Nice to know they've improved.

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
If we do get to suffer electrical "black outs" here in Britain this winter, the 2 x Trumatic gas heaters will come into their own even more. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

I can see that Jock, and good luck to you mate. Fortunately, we have a large automatic diesel generator that is wired into our house that takes over in the event of a power cut so, like you, we should be OK

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Do you change your own burner assy.? I too have a Webasto DualTop (faultless after 3.1/2 years) and have never had it serviced. I would be interested in pictures for idiots if this is something you undertake your self.

I am changing the burner on Saturday in preparation for a workout in the Alps this winter!
I did consider a YouTube video or pictures. You have put me on the spot now!!!!
As mentioned earlier, our burner clogging is very frequent. The heater location in retrospect, is crap and leads to the heater ingesting..... Crap!!!!!
Moving the intake will help considerably I reckon.

Stand by for a Jon and Shell video production!!!!!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I am changing the burner on Saturday in preparation for a workout in the Alps this winter!
I did consider a YouTube video or pictures. You have put me on the spot now!!!!
As mentioned earlier, our burner clogging is very frequent. The heater location in retrospect, is crap and leads to the heater ingesting..... Crap!!!!!
Moving the intake will help considerably I reckon.

Stand by for a Jon and Shell video production!!!!!
Thank you! I'm sure other member's too will appreciate this, especially if it's in H.D. with subtitles LOL.

Our PVC has a Webasto dual top but it is mounted internally, at the bottom of the wardrobe under a removable cover. The disadvantage of this we found on our recent trip to Spain - it made the bottom of the wardrobe warm and heated up the beer and sherry we were storing above it when we were travelling. Not ideal. This wasn't a problem when we stopped as the booze was put in the front footwells either side of the dog but it was when moving during the day.

So we turned it off, the heater that is, not the dog, (haven't found that off switch yet) after breakfast which was hardly a problem as the weather was warm and the hot water stayed warm enough to do any washing up at lunch and the diesel heater re-heated the water very quickly in the evening.

We haven't had any problems with our Webasto but a not uncommon problem I have heard of is clogging of the drain valve due to hard water. A 5% solution of citric acid used once a year seems to do the trick. Webasto have published instructions on how to do this but I can't find my copy at the moment.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Thank you for this information. Can you confirm it has come directly from Webasto as I note it is not written on an official Webasto headed paper. Also, my operating manual states' Use wine vinegar for descaling the water heater, this being introduced into the appliance via the water supply. Allow the product to react and then thoroughly flush out the appliance with plenty of fresh water'. It's a bit vague as it does not state for how long it should be left to do it's job and no mention of heating ? Perhaps your information is more up-to-date, as mine is 3.1/2 years old. I do think 24hrs at 70 deg does not sound right but then again have no experience or knowledge of using Citric Acid.
Thanks in advance.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It came via the manufacturer of my MH and I can only say that one or two people who have had the sticking drain valve problem have followed this method and it worked. A 5% citric acid solution is pretty mild so it will need time to act. But of course I can't endorse this method personally but if we did have a sticking valve I would use it.

However, look at post #11 on this thread, http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/webasto-dualtop-leaking-drain-valve.30454/ )which starts off talking about vinegar then someone says Webasto have changed their recommendation. Vinegar is more generally available but citric acid is probably more effective and I guess it won't leave a smell like yesterday's fish and chips! However, the user manuals you can download from the Webasto site (http://dealers.webasto.com/Sections...roductTypeId=43&ProductId=380&ShowResult=true) still refer to either vinegar or a proprietary kettle cleaner.

Furring up of the water heater isn't something I had previously thought about as we live in a soft water area but of course on our travels we collect water from all over the place so I am sure we must have taken on hard water at some time.

We use our van quite regularly and I always drain the system after every trip if it isn't going to be used for say 10 days or so. This means the drain valve is regularly exercised. If you use your vehicle less often and especially if you often fill it with hard water it could be an issue - with any make of water heat I suspect not just Webasto.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
OK understand where your coming from now. I had a post in the other thread you linked too (by the way) and last year used clear vinegar to descale the boiler. It has not stopped the drip from the shut of valve but this is not a problem for us as we just switch the pump off before going to bed and on again in the morning to top up the boiler. During the day the pump will run twice for about 3-5 seconds as a result of lost water from the valve.
I might try the citric acid method as it's cheap and cheerful. Incidentally, I run the Webasto for a minimum of 1 hour every month and it's never let me down, apart from the shut of valve not sealing 100% which is a common problem.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
we also have the Aldi wet system,the pluses i like, you can add more radiator coils where ever you like would not use any other for for climb's like our 's in the winter, Money well spent,so good luck on your choice,Ps we have also adapted to system a heat exchanger from system to Engine and Engine to system making the living are'a toasty and warm whilst driving and for when you stop especially on night runs,plus you can wake up to a warm engine just fire up and go,the best money can bye,hope this helps Regards Alf.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
far nicer just to follow natures code and move south for the winter .
whats heating you wont need it .
i even have to turn my gas lights off some times as the heat is too much . ha ha ,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back