Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Looking to buy a trailer for our new Panda, had an A frame on previous Panda but looking at this new one and talking to various A frame fitters I don't fancy the way they are going to butcher the front end, so new knowledge required !
Which is best the tilt type or the ramp type ?:helpsos: any other information welcome.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I had a Brian James

Looking to buy a trailer for our new Panda, had an A frame on previous Panda but looking at this new one and talking to various A frame fitters I don't fancy the way they are going to butcher the front end, so new knowledge required !
Which is best the tilt type or the ramp type ?:helpsos: any other information welcome.

I had a Brian James.. they do several models that would be suitable subject to how much you can tow with your motorhome .. they have a good web site.

I towed a Brian James twin wheel fully braked trailer with my RV and had a Hyundai Matrix on the trailer. Took me about 30 minutes to load it and secure the straps etc., once on it stayed put until I got to where I was going.... took it to France this year before I sold it.

Bob

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not a difficult question but one that does need some consideration
Tilt types are by far better in operation, and far dearer in purchase price
due in the main to the hydraulics that usually go with them
That brings on the question of simplicity, with a ramp trailer there is nothing to go wrong
except perhaps loosing a ramp, but that would be simply overcome with a temporary plank of wood
If the hydraulics fail either the car is staying on or staying off the trailer or you need two planks of wood
Me, Id go Tilting any day of the week:Cool:

Another very important thing that seems to be overlooked an awful lot, if buying new buy a trailer with GOOD re sale prospects:thumb:
a purpose built one for your Panda or say Smart car is going to loose a min of 30% of its value on the way home:Doh::Doh:
One that can be used for say motor sport or general car moving will command a much higher resale value and have a much bigger resale market

You could however take advantage of the poor resale value of purpose built small car trailers and bag a bargain second hand, but I dont think you will have much to look at re a tilt one, the vast majority have ramps :thumb:
Again for re saleability stick with the 4 or 5 big names in trailer manf:thumb:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Geoffers

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Goe, good advice, the preferred one at the moment is the Bantam city car trailer at £1395 +vat,although I've seen a tilt on ebay for £1300 all in, but ideally I am looking out for a used name brand bargain !
I here what you say about devaluation, but if I consider a ' legal 'A frame quotes between £1400 & £1800 you can say goodbye to all of that when you trade your car in. Anyone want a Chris Cox a frame for a small donation ?

superminx

Free Member
Oct 4, 2012
letchworth
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
not yet
hi,
sorry to swipe this thread but I'm looking at cars and trailers etc, this has properly been answered else where but can not find it. I'm right in thinking that if I tow a trailer with a car on it that the trailer must be able to carry the max gross weight of that car?.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
hi,
sorry to swipe this thread but I'm looking at cars and trailers etc, this has properly been answered else where but can not find it. I'm right in thinking that if I tow a trailer with a car on it that the trailer must be able to carry the max gross weight of that car?.

in a word NO

thats the same as saying you would need a trailer capable of carrying the motorhome if it were towed behind

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Agree on Brian James, I have one for my Peugeot 107. The ramps just slide in and out from under the bed and locate without having to lift them off, excellent design.
BUT, in UK I use my A Frame , far less hassle and it goes in the boot when on site :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back