Which size inverter. (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you are using an inverter (12v to 230v) to run the PSU that came with the heater then you need to change nothing. If however you wish to run the 24v heater off a 12v supply directly then you need a 12v to 24v inverter. They are available but don't seem to be packaged for consumer purchase (no case, switches, leads, etc).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Not much point, you've had every possible answer.

Basically 2 possibilities:
1: Inverter badly wired.
2: Inverter can't cope even though it's well sized for the job.

It's time for a man or woman who knows how to use a multimeter to poke around.

Do you have the name of inverter ? If WizzFizzChong electronics it might be less likely to work than a Stirling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Not much point, you've had every possible answer.
Yes ........but ....I was not referring to coffee makers, hairdryers, kettles etc. but to a piece of essential medical equipment and to the uninitiated some answers are difficult to comprehend o_O
... and others not especially helpful. (n)

If you are using an inverter (12v to 230v) to run the PSU that came with the heater then you need to change nothing. If however you wish to run the 24v heater off a 12v supply directly then you need a 12v to 24v inverter. They are available but don't seem to be packaged for consumer purchase (no case, switches, leads, etc).
Thank you for your prompt reply. (y)
We will be running it straight from the inverter, but even though we have had wiring checked on the existing 300w psw Sterling (after ensuring batteries are good) We still get beeping,
hence my question re size. It looks like an expensive replacement required.:whistle:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
he existing 300w psw Sterling

I must have missed that name. I have the same. It failed last year but on examination it was just the on/off switch and soon fixed. If you want a run over the hills you can come and plug your gadget in mine.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My Sterling screamed blue murder well under its load rating. I replaced it with another Chinese brand without the pricey name

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Im not a fan of Sterling products, as we very nearly had a fire on our narrowboat resulting from a piece of kit from said manufacturer.
Many a tale of woe to be found on Canal Forums resulting from Mr Sterlings kit.

Therefore, for me any new inverter I were to buy, would either have to be made by Victron Energy or Waeco or similar. As already mentioned quasi sine wave Chinese imports should be avoided like the plague. Its pointless fitting a monster array of solar panels, if you don't have an adequate battery bank, and no point IMO fitting an inverter without a large battery bank. As for boiling a kettle using a inverter, you're asking for trouble. You don't get 'owt for nowt'.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes ........but ....I was not referring to coffee makers, hairdryers, kettles etc. but to a piece of essential medical equipment and to the uninitiated some answers are difficult to comprehend o_O
... and others not especially helpful. (n)

Thank you for your prompt reply. (y)
We will be running it straight from the inverter, but even though we have had wiring checked on the existing 300w psw Sterling (after ensuring batteries are good) We still get beeping,
hence my question re size. It looks like an expensive replacement required.:whistle:
Are you absolutely certain the gadget you are running is 150W? This is not much more than a big light bulb.

If you are sure, then there is no question about a 300W inverter being up to the job, it will be.

The 24v rating of the heater element is a red herring assuming your equipment is run off 240v, it just means there is a transformer inside which reduces the voltage.

As already mentioned, the fault must lie in either the inverter or the batteries/wiring supplying it.

Impossible to say at this distance which it is although you could see how you get on with engine running as that might eliminate the batteries if things are still the same.

If its essential medical equipment I suggest finding an electrician to have a look at it.

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
The equipment works perfectly well on 240v. so presuming the fault may be as mentioned by other posts. Wiring was supposedly checked at last hab.check. thanks for all suggestions .
IMG_20160521_121938_BURST007.jpg

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:) Well just sorted out the previous problem re our Sterling psw 300w inverter which was working perfectly for tv. charging etc, but would not take kindly to a 150w piece of equipment !!
Visited Solar Solutions whilst at Bagwell and tried said equipment on their larger inverters no problem, so not the equipment.(y)
They suggested ordering 400w for us to try it on. Went back Monday worked perfectly :)
....evidently temperamental things inverters :(
:rolleyes: one 300w psw surplus to requirements :D
Were we silly .....possibly..... but peace of mind.....priceless.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back