Which sealant/adhesive (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Just been up to storage to give the roof a clean. Glad I did as the cover over the cable entry through the roof for the solar panel had come adrift so temporarily taped round it. Then I found the plastic pad on which the lnb arm of the sat dish rests when closed (Maxview) had also come adrift and would have blown away when on our next journey. Again a temporary repair. Both devices were installed by 'professionals' one 18 months ago and the other 9 months ago. Can any one recommend the correct sealant/adhesive that will stick to the roof and also the plastic fittings? The present sealant is firmly attached to the roof but clearly didn't adhere to the plastic fittings. Also what is the best way to remove the old sealant from the roof please?

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Sikaflex 512 will do the job very well indeed as long as you prepare properly use Sikaflex 205 cleaner after you've thoroughly removed the old stuff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Best way i have found of getting the old stuff off is either cheese wire or a chisel.. I know the latter sounds a wee bit over the top but it does remove it very easily.. Just be careful you dont gouge into the bodywork with it

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is no easy way to remove sikaflex, but i have used a sharpened wallpaper scraper and a single edge razor blade to very good effect. dont try using sikaflex in the wet or if its cold and use of the correct primer helps a lot. oh and if the surface is too shiny, lightly roughen it with sandpaper to provide a good key.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Use a cutting 45 degrees at least, rather than a pushing action to remove the old stuff. A lot of people (trade) tend to be in a rush and NOT rub the mating surface to key them, you must if it is to stick, plastic has a release agent when it is made and might still be there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back