Which Scooter and Rack with Castors (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi,
We have decided that a Scooter/motorbike will let us explore more than with our electric bikes, so need to find out which. I also do not want to overload the MoHo so would like one of the racks which have sprung caster wheels for easy reversing and minimum loading on the van.
A friend who has an English one says his is rubbish, buy a French one which are sprung and have castors with twin wheels for security but I am struggling to find them. I am told that there is a supplier near Carcassone which is not far from where we live but cannot find them with searches. I looked at Yo remorques but their pictures are very poor.
Also which scooter. I had a go of his which is a Honda 125 and it had heaps of power, perhaps too much.
I actually have a 35 year old Honda 90 which I think I will sell so should get quite a bit for that.
Any suggestions on both my requirements?
We are not bikers so want as small as is practicable and reliable and not too heavy for loading and unloading. His rack is good as the wheels come off for level floor loading.
Thanks for any suggestions with links if possible and any personal experiences. Thanks.
Steve

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I think one of the French versions is Remorques, there is a thread on this forum which has some related info/commentary:-

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/french-castor-wheel-m-cycle-trailer.104323/

Link Removed

Had a look at one at an aire, appear very well made, but with a price to match.

We have a dual castor wheel Easy Lifter Hydratrail version, the wheels on which are not independently sprung, and a Vespa GTS 300.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had a Easylift Hydra trail with a Vespa 300GTS as well - drove lots and lots of miles with it faithfully following behind.

We have a new motorhome so this time we have a tow bar rack with a Honda SH125. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
With respect to the OP,if you feel the Honda 125 had maybe too much power,please try a few options before buying your scooter or rack.
Depending on your weights,you will find most 50cc scooters will be underpowered probably for your needs after a short while,especially if you want to go further than the local shops or sights.
Any 50 will struggle on some gradients with two on with some of the hills and cause unnecessary stress to both rider and machine.
I currently use a Honda PCX125 on a trailer which can carry 3 bikes.It suits me as I also tug larger motorcycles frequently.Having towed trailers behind trucks for many years for me it is perfect however you may decide between the wheeled rack/ trailer which is not so weight dependent as a rack.
All the help and advice is here so take your time making the right choice,good luck and enjoy your trips.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks for the replies. Reading the links and discussions here and on the dark side it seems quite difficult to find info on the caster racks. The Yo Remorques seems to be just a standard trailer but with casters and a locking bar. I cannot find any good pictures of the Easy Lifter Hydratrail to properly asses it.
Yes @Baldeagle7470 I think the PCX125 was what I tried and Is what I think we will look for when we find the rack we like. The too much power was a throwaway comment because it seemed to have about three times as much power as the Honda 90 we used to use before we found it upset the handling of the Motorhome we had at the time too much with it hanging on the tow bar. The storage for helmets etc under the seat I think is the clincher for us so as not to have to look like bikers walking round town or going in to restaurants.
Our friend with the Un-sprung rack found it caused too much damage to the bike which kept loosening its straps as the bike bounced on its own suspension. He has now converted it to have Indespension units And says all the problems have gone.
I really want the shortest rack possible without hanging it on the van. Our friends one projects less than a meter. Although I regularly tow a trailer behind a car and can reverse easily. Trying to reverse a very short trailer behind a Motorhome with over a meter overhang in a stress situation is not what I want.
We will persevere, any other thoughts will be gratefully received or pictures of yours @RowleyBirkinQC would be good to see as yours is quite a heavy Scooter I would think.
Steve

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
It appears that my friends "Rack" is an Easy Lifter Hydratrail, he found that the lack of springing in the rack damaged his scooter so has had Indespension units welded on and he says it is now much better, the bike stayers attached and the forces on the MoHo seem far less. About how much weight do you find the Easy Lifter Hydratrail puts on your van @RowleyBirkinQC as you have quite a heavy scooter.
Looking at the pictures of the French ones suggested above the wheels seem to be well back therefore dividing the weight between the camper and rack. The Easy Lifter Hydratrail seems to have the scooter directly above the wheels.
Thanks for all the help above, I think I am leaning toward the Easy Lifter Hydratrail but if the company won't do it have suspension units welded on after.
Steve

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have a Honda vision 100 and it cruises 2 up at 50-55 ..the advantage is its really light weight and therefore no bother to put on a tow ball mounted scooter rack. Looking at the ones suggested my only comment would be that they will add a lot of distance to your van...some look over 1.5 metres which would make my own van over 9m which is why I stayed away. I did think of upgrading to a bigger scoot so I could use it for work now and then but tbh I've gone off that idea now and if I get one it won't go on the back of the van.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I have a Honda vision 100 and it cruises 2 up at 50-55 ..the advantage is its really light weight and therefore no bother to put on a tow ball mounted scooter rack. Looking at the ones suggested my only comment would be that they will add a lot of distance to your van...some look over 1.5 metres which would make my own van over 9m which is why I stayed away. I did think of upgrading to a bigger scoot so I could use it for work now and then but tbh I've gone off that idea now and if I get one it won't go on the back of the van.
Thanks for that, looks quite light, possibly not much more than our bikes. What is it like for hills, I know it is new tech so much more powerful but the old Honda90 struggled on hills two up.
Can the under seat box take two helmets? Is there space for a back box to take jackets as well?
Thanks for the feedback, got me confused again. (y)
Steve

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We looked for an easy to ride scooter a year or so ago. I have a bike licence but have not ridden since the late 60s. Came to the conclusion that the Honda Vision (the 108cc version) would be best as it is light. Also attended a day's back to biking course which was combined with a pillion riding course for my wife, which was very useful, and actually used a Vision for that.

Then we found a Suzuki look alike for the Vision called the Address, which was a bit cheaper and has the advantage of a kick start as well as the electric start. That would be useful because we will be using it only intermittently and I expect the battery may occasionally go flat. We ended up buying a 4 month old ex-demonstrator with 100 mile on the clock for less than I would have paid for a 4 year old Honda Vision. We have not regretted it. It weighs in at about 105kg.

I am afraid I can't help with the trailer - the Address is light enough for us to put in the motorhome garage.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Both the Honda Vision and the Suzuki Address will only take one helmet under the seat. We have a back box on the Address (included in the deal) which takes the second helmet. Unless it was a very large box I don't think you could get the jackets in as well.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have a back box on the vision which takes a helmet... it also fits one under the seat. .the back box I have also takes a couple of light weight jackets. It's great for other storage too. I often go trail running race's and park the van on a site and ride to the start with no problems with kit etc etc.

As for hills? Well obviously it's no superbike but it gets up them and as with most things in life is about compromise. .
Get a bigger more powerful scooter and it won't go on the tow ball mounted carrier. .get a bigger bike and you need a trailer but you can go further and fastereo but then again you may need to as getting to some sitesort might prove tough when you're over 9 meters...

My suggestion FWIW is start by getting something like my set up or the inferior suzuki o_O that @peterc10 has and see how you go. .

If you want something more grunt focused and faster and heavier then change it. The Honda is so so sought after as they are used by the cabbies doing the knowledge and the pizza boy that brings your pizza. .

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Oy you how dare you insult my lean mean sexy machine .............. you wait till your Honda's battery is flat and you wished you had a kick start :D2

Do you know what???You are right,my PCX125 has been on constant trickle charge since I got it a year ago,lack of documentation meant I couldn't use it.
Result the battery was fubar,wish I had a kickstart,stop/start ain't much use if the battery is dead.Still -£30 and we have the power to go,I hope!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back