Which satallite/TV combination. (1 Viewer)

Westies2803

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
3years
Hi All,

I am new to the forum, so many thanks for the warm welcome.

We got our first van two years ago, it's was an Elddis Autoquest 100. Perfect for our entry into motor homing.

We have just ordered our first new van, the Chausson 611, however stupidly I didn't realise the new van didn't come with a TV/ aerial/dish!!

I' m not sure if the new van has the same amount of room as our previous van which had the aerial hidden in the wardrobe.

My question is what combination would suit us, we have always only travelled within the UK, but could go to Europe in the future.

I was wondering if something like the Cello TV with a mobile satallite dish would do the trick. Also how easy is set up etc?Too many questions going forward.

Thanks in advance.
Westies2803

Mark S

Free Member
Feb 21, 2017
somerset
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Pollensa
Exp
2 years
hi, we are having a similar dilemma, we brought an avtex tv L188DR (i think thats the model number with built in freeview and sat decoder) when connected to existing omni directional aerial, free view works some off the time in uk but we didn't really get anything in france as it needs an aerial upgrade i think, so we were looking to feet a Snipe 2 to the roof so we get kinda signal anywhere, we appreciate that we may not get all channels when in france but we can deal with that .. does anybody else have this combo ??? any info gratefully received.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We have had the Snipe for over two years now and use an Avtec TV or sometimes our Pace 12 volt box. This would beat any aerial hands down, we have used it extensively through Britain and France and can receive all the freesat channels in France down about as far as Biarritz

Setting up is as easy as pressing one button and switching tele. on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mark S

Free Member
Feb 21, 2017
somerset
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Pollensa
Exp
2 years
thank you - that looks a promising combo and will hopefully elemitate the need for us to change the existing aerial :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We had a Maxview manual crank up dish on our old MH, and although it did the job in terms of signal capture in the UK and Europe it was big and had to be lowered in high winds. It was a bit of a faff trying to get it to the exact position for a clear signal once the bearings began to tighten up. They're not that easy to keep lubricated and it also needed a hole in the roof to fit the shaft through. Because of its wide turning radius it had to be fitted in the worst part of the roof where water collected, so it was always sitting in a puddle, which didn't help to keep the bearing moisture free.

For our next MH we've got a Snipe 2 self-tuning receiver which is more compact, and the TV is a 16" 12v Avtex with a built-in HD Satellite tuner. The receiver is more expensive than the manual crank up was but is cheaper than the automated Maxview, so it seemed like a good option. It'll be a couple of weeks before we get to try the MH system out but I've tested the TV on a small fixed dish at home and it looks good.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
hi, we are having a similar dilemma, we brought an avtex tv L188DR (i think thats the model number with built in freeview and sat decoder) when connected to existing omni directional aerial, free view works some off the time in uk but we didn't really get anything in france as it needs an aerial upgrade i think, so we were looking to feet a Snipe 2 to the roof so we get kinda signal anywhere, we appreciate that we may not get all channels when in france but we can deal with that .. does anybody else have this combo ??? any info gratefully received.
I could well be wrong, but I don't think the L188DR comes with the free to air satellite tuner? Maybe you have the L188DRS?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi All,

I am new to the forum, so many thanks for the warm welcome.

We got our first van two years ago, it's was an Elddis Autoquest 100. Perfect for our entry into motor homing.

We have just ordered our first new van, the Chausson 611, however stupidly I didn't realise the new van didn't come with a TV/ aerial/dish!!

I' m not sure if the new van has the same amount of room as our previous van which had the aerial hidden in the wardrobe.

My question is what combination would suit us, we have always only travelled within the UK, but could go to Europe in the future.

I was wondering if something like the Cello TV with a mobile satallite dish would do the trick. Also how easy is set up etc?Too many questions going forward.

Thanks in advance.
Westies2803

If only in the UK then a decent powered directional (not omini directional) aerial will be good enough and will enable you to pick up Freeview in the UK and also local freeview programmes in most of Europe, but of course the latter will not be in English.

Satellite is more expensive, and you will be able to pick up English TV programmes in some parts of Europe. But the beams of the satellites have narrowed and it is unlikely you will be able to use it
in anywhere south of about half way through France, unless you get a huge dish

We have this Cello model which has an HD tuner and we think is very good

You probably could not use the aerial based system in France because your TV does not have an HD tuner. All digital broadcasts in France are not HD only.

OP
OP
W

Westies2803

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
3years
Many thanks for your replies. I will look at the Cello traveller tv & snipe 2.
Cheers Westies2803.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As an add on to all of the above we have been there and got the tee shirt we had a 60cm sat dome that was brilliant all the way down through France and Spain until the sat footprint changed we then had a 60cm Alden auto sat dish (absolute rubbish IMHO) finally got an 85 cm Oyster automatic dish with twin LNB it's great and this winter we have received TVs on our sky box all the way down to Cabo de Gata along the coast to Manta Rota ,Portugal.
We used to have a Cello a lovely tv but gave up the ghost so we bought a 24" LG in Carrefor,Huelva a lovely telly it's 12v so works on the invertor as well (y)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Make sure it is the Traveler II. We have the 19" model and very happy with it. The scheduling option is a bit bit clunky but we generally watch pre-recorded stuff and on our last trip of 3 months that amounted to about 8 hours of viewing!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Many thanks for your replies. I will look at the Cello traveller tv & snipe 2.
Cheers Westies2803.
Its perfect combo and certainly both the traveller and snipe have a lot going for them . You should by carefully buying get the combo and fitting for under £1000. .the big advantage besides price for the cello is that it also has Bluetooth ...been running mine for a while now and cannot fault either unit. .Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back