Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
WE have a pioneer Avic 920BT built in which uses Navteq mapping, it is ok but doesn't allow for the input of vehicle dimensions and the map up dates are £120 per year. Its fantastic as a sound system, rear camera monitor, phone and it plays dvd's but, to be honest its not great at navigating and often conflicts with the sat nag who uses a road atlas! The sat nav is very useful for me in France when the sat nag doses off or gets distracted which happens a lot. I have been looking at alternatives and have narrowed it down to:

Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D (available in a few weeks)

Snooper Ventura pro 8000

or simply

Up date for current mapping. Which won't address the dimension issue.

They all seem to use Navteq mapping but the firm ware is different.

What would you choose and why?

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I have a snooper ventura 7000.

I like it and have used it since 2010.

But if I was buying now would look at the Garmin before buying Snooper.

Mel

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I have just read the test of the Garmin 760 LMT-D and it looks very interesting and the list price is OK @ €399 so I think we will soon see a few on the market.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We're thinking of buying a Becker Transit 50 Truck and Camper on the recommendation of a German friend of ours who is a long distance lorry driver.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I spent ages looking at different sat navs and reading reviews. The camper and truck editions look great on paper, till you read that many owners have been sent down too narrow roads and dont trust them.

I think a good unit with a large screen, up to date maps and a road map for backup is the safest way to go.
We just bought a Garmin 3598 LMT-D. Its easy to read, volume is good, can be voice controlled and easy to remove. So far, it has been very accurate and not sent me down any silly roads.

Plus, I got it for £40 off at Halfords with a £30 fuel cashback offer from garmin ( since finished)

Allan

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Tesco HUDL and CoPilot Premium?
(CoPilot Premium has a Motorhome setting, £20 for UK or £35 Eur)

OP
OP
WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Interesting, I think the new Camper 760LMT-D will be very similar to the 3598 but with some added features.:thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Tesco HUDL and CoPilot Premium?
(CoPilot Premium has a Motorhome setting, £20 for UK or £35 Eur)

Do you use Co Pilot? I tried the free version before I decide to buy but I can never seem to get a proper satellite fix.
Last week I drove home 10 mies and it still thought I was where I started.
It looks ideal for use on my iPhone, but only if I can get it to work
Allan

Gray B

Free Member
Jan 13, 2012
Evesham
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Topaz
Exp
Since 2010
I pad

Tom Tom Europe works for me I have it on my I pad so I guess I've got the biggest screen available.

Cheers for now Gray.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I have the 560LMT bought via C&CC, who no longer have it in their list. First real test was in France recently. It failed us abysmally on several occasions, even SWMBO commented on how much better the non-truck/motorhome Tom Tom we had previously (and lost somewhere) was when used in conjunction with standard maps. It's realy major gaff was taking us off a junction too soon near Honfleur, and when in Honfleur taking is off the main road down a very narrow one the save 25 yards. Unfortunately our standard map of Honfleur could not prevent the mistake as it was not detailed enough, lesson learnt there.
We had not been able to do an update prior to leaving as Garmins records were wrong and they were denying we had lifetime maps. This has been rectified since we got home and we now have the latest garmin Europe maps, but too late for us.
Personally, I am very disappointed with the Garmin, which was bought after a lot of research as it was a big spend.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Do you use Co Pilot? I tried the free version before I decide to buy but I can never seem to get a proper satellite fix.
Last week I drove home 10 mies and it still thought I was where I started.
It looks ideal for use on my iPhone, but only if I can get it to work
Allan

I haven't tried it yet as I was waiting for my new phone to arrive as it has a bigger screen.

Phone is here now so I'll probably download it this week.

herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
i have a tomtom start 60 (6" screen) with europp maps and camper.
i like the tomtom maps aswell and with wallace doing the talking its cool
i asked about the tesco hodl they say it does not have proper gps but uses the internet.
that might cost a bit if your touring europe!

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I have a TomTom go 825 and it does an okay job. Would never trust it 100% as if everyone was honest about their satnav neither would they.

The only way is a satnav plus a trusty map or;

now playing with microsoft autoroute (don't boo) and now I've got used to it I'm actually finding it very good. Easy to navigate and I can still use POI files (gpx) so all my CC sites, municipal site, aires etc are on there. Even to voice commands are actually half decent. Still learning but am impressed and might even invest in a tablet (windows 8 - more boos) :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back