Which Sat Nav

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tony Santara, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

I've never felt the need for sat nav in 45 years of truck driving but this motorhoming is a differant ball game some camp grounds can be difficult to find so question is which one do i want .... you tell me :thumb:

2. pharvey1

pharvey1 Deleted User

I would say Tom Tom, or Tom to his mates..... simple and easy to use, update etc and can pick up at a good price these days. Looks like you can get some real wizz ones, but my Tom Tom One seems find.

However when planning your getaway, why not have a look at the site on Google earth, interesting to usem you can see access roads, locality etc and also pick up on the things never mentioned like a nearby industrial estate, railway line etc. :Eeek:

3. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Tom Tom Tony (hey that rhymes:Laughing:)

Best get safety/speed cameras after hearing of you blasting down the motorways:Wink::Rofl1:

Being serious now I would go the Tom Tom route.

4. keith

keith Funster

Just got a Garmin Nuvi 250 & so far so good.

Got me to Grange Park last weekend when I hear others came various different ways :Rofl1::Rofl1::Eeek:

5. Don Madge

Don Madge Funster

Hi Tony,

I managed 55 years before having a sat nav and now I've got a Garmin 350. :Smile: I found with advancing years it's a big help in finding places in urban areas especially when going solo.:thumb:

There's a big bonus as well, it don't cry when I shout at it. :Eeek::Eeek:

Don

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  6. potjoe

potjoe Read Only Funster

i`ll go with Don on this one

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Hi,we have the 350 as well best money spent,you can also down load POI`s like cc&club sites, Air`s in France also ones for Gremany buy the camper stop book put poi on to SD card load it in the sat nav and away you go.john

7. keith

keith Funster

Your a bully Don. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. Don Madge

Don Madge Funster

Hi John,

That's way above my pay scale. :Eeek: I load them one at a time.:Eeek:

Don

9. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

Thanks freinds looks like a 2 horse race :Laughing:

10. A and K

A and K Read Only Funster

Hi Tony,

I'd definately recommend TomTom. We have the Go 910 and are really pleased with it.You are spoilt for choice with the amount of POI's to download. I've downloaded many including all the French aires, the Stelplatz in Germany, Caravan Club sites and also C L's, low bridges and many, many more things!!
    You just need to use common sense when using it (if the road looks too narrow-Don't go) and cross check with an atlas when planning your route.:thumb:

11. dewaltman

dewaltman

sat nav

angie and keith can you tell me how to find and download the information you have downloaded on to your tom tom ie aires,sites and low bridges etc
    ps not an expert on pc thanks for any help you can give me

12. A and K

A and K Read Only Funster

Hi dewaltman,
    Here are a couple of sites I've used where you can find free TomTom downloads: TomTom Sat Nav and also Pocket GPS World. Also you can google for free TomTom downloads.

For the caravan club POI's I used :jollyinteresting.

For the French aires I used www.camping-car.infos.com.- on the first page click on cliquez pour enter (in the middle of the page) then on the next page on the left side click on synchronisation coordonnees GPS and then on the next page at the bottom click on Fichierzip pour TomTom.

Also now you can download quite a few from your TomTom home when you connect your TomTom to it.

This is the way I've downloaded to my TomTom;(here I'm using the french aires as an example)

First of all create a new folder on your PC and call it TomTom POI's.

Having sourced the web site - CCinfos - click on 'cliquez pour entrer' and then on the left side column you will see 'synchronisation coordonnees GPS'. Click on it and scroll the resulting page to find 'Fichier Zip' in green print. Click on TomTom 'Fichiers pour TT (.ov2)' and when file download prompts, click 'save' and save it to your readily available folder.
    Go to the folder and locate the 'zipped' file = 'Aires-CCinfos-TomTom'. Open this file. Under 'folder tasks' on left side, click on 'extract files'. This produces 'extraction wizard' with file option to save to (TT POI's as above). Click 'next' and then 'finish'.
    Return to your TT POI's folder where you will now find a 'new folder' containing the 'unzipped' files which you require for transfer to TT.

Open this folder, reduce it and move to one side of your screen (A).
    Connect TT to your PC. Now go to 'my computer' - locate TT icon and click on the icon. On the resulting page, open the folder 'Western Europe Map' (or whatever). Reduce the size. You now have two reduced pages on your screen.

Go back to the donor page (A) and click on 'edit' then 'select all'.
    Nearly there - drag the selection onto the map page and the job is done.

After disonnecting TT from the PC, leave it for a few minutes to enable the download to 'sort itself' before switching off.

I hope this makes sense,
    Good luck :thumb: (it's quite easy once you've done it a few times)

Angie :Smile:

13. dewaltman

dewaltman

sat nav

thanks angie i will try tomorrow to late tonight

14. Thepips

Thepips Trade Member

Hi Tony,
    I don't know how urgent your requirement is but the next generation of satnavs are starting to arrive. TeleAtlas mapping now has the optional data on road restrictions. There are already a couple of them out that really do avoid low bridges and weight limits. Can't be long before the rest follow suit.

Regards
    Doug

15. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

Tony,

There is now one on the market for Commercial vehicles that has low bridges, weight restrictions etc, and I think if I was getting one I could use it in the M/H and Coach. A bit more expensive just now but it will come down in price.

David

16. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Tony, I now have tt but much prefered the garmin :Rofl1: In my mind the garmin gave better Distructions not letting you, say turn left in 80 yds then 5 yds later saying you missed :Eeek: turn around :Rofl1:All I want to do is go from A to B so never realy bothered with poi type things and probably do not use it fully.:Rofl1:I may get around to it when i am bored but for now in my mind garmin rules :thumb:
    terry
    ps I think garmin have bought tt or is it the other way around :Rofl1::thumb:

17. LyndonRV

LyndonRV Read Only Funster

hi tony i just brought tom tom 510 with blootooth with full europe maps irland etc brand new from ebay with full tom tom back up if it gowes wrong £150 diliverd :BigGrin:

18. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

I have both Tomtom and Garmin.
    The tomtom is the 'original' and has never gone wrong in the five years I have had it. It is well looked after by third party POI authors and is very user friendly. You can also make 'itinary' routes with many waymarks.
    The downside is, it makes more mistakes(?) and tends to take you down more unsuitable routes than the Garmin. The aftersales can sometimes be found wanting.
    The Garmin is an all singing and dancing affair. Its bluetooth and acts as a hands free phone device. Has realtime traffic updates, MP3 player, translator, etc,etc.
    It takes a more sensible approach to suitable roads, but not foolproof! Locates satellites faster and under cover. However only one waymark can be designated.
    If you buy from Halfords and have a problem they will exchange for a new unit there and then no questions asked!

19. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

garmin for me tony ive a nuvi 670 hands free phone,mp3,photo store.audible book player,calculator,language guide,travel guide,world clock, currency converter,unit coverter,speed cams was already loaded.does what it says on the tin plus never needed add on ariel picks up sat easy evan with big overhead cab like we have, play it through the stero:thumb:

20. potjoe

potjoe Read Only Funster

go for the Garmin nuvi

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Had my 350 about 3 years best money i have spent,it had 2005 maps to start with but now i got an update cd Free from there webb site so now have to 2007 map up date on the 350.You can down load all the POI`s you would like onto am SD card and away you go all free. We had TT to start with BUT then sold it on ebay no thank you.
    john