europe2011

Free Member
Dec 2, 2010
Cavan, Ireland
Funster No
Exp
1st Year
Hi

going traveling all round europe in new year for 6 months. Going to France, Spain, Portugal Up to Holland, Germany, Sweden,Finland,Estonia, Lativia
Lithenuia
Poland
Czech Rep
Austria
Croatia
Serbia
Italy.
What Sat Nav would you recommend and does anyone have POI's for some of these countrys.

Thanks

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi there and welcome,

Sat Navs are like generators... the Honda people say the Honda is best and the Kipor people say Kipors are best...:ROFLMAO:

I am a Tomtom man and after using them for years swear they are the best... but my latest one was bought from a Funster who thought it was rubbish!

I am of the belief that the Tomtom mapping is the most comprehensive...

JJ

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Why are you going there? go to Lidl or perhaps Aldi and you will find most of these nationals here, have a chat in the car park with them (there's plenty of them) and you will feel you are away from home!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
Make a list of the things that you would like from your sat-nav------------for example ----I would have liked altitude on our Tom-Tom but can't get it ?? also height restrictions would be nice but, so far, not got it----:cry: I know we are dinasaurs so maybe they are in there somewhere ????we need to consult a 5 year old ! ! :ROFLMAO:
For your trip----see if you can get all those maps in together----it's a lot easier when you cross borders-------well thats what we found :thumb: But sat-nav is new black magic to us:Doh:

Nigel

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
TomTom all day long for me.
I once bought a Garmin, it couldn't find it's way out of the box !...

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
I have just purchased a Pro Nav by Navevo, it cost £150 and is for HGV's, you input your length/height and width and it will only work out a route that you can fit down, it has all the other functions of any other sat nav, the same type in a Tom Tom is around £450. Also the customer care is second to none, I tried to update the unit on line and somehow cocked it up and corrupted the SD card, called them up and was sent a new one the next day with free speed camera information for 6 months. You can get them from Amazon or Halfords, I got mine in Maplins but they don't deal with them any more.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have the choice of 4

I have the pioneer AVIC F500BT - saterlite system with back up camera and music centre in one. Great but always thinks it is a car and you do get issues with the routes over this

The Snooper Ventura S7000 (purchased at Lincoln show).. very good it is.. saterlite and music again.. with back up camera take off if I want it. Cover size and weight.. important for An American RV

I have a Garmin Street Pilot III - bit long in the tooth now, but still works great and I can take it and use it in the USA or South Africa.. the original brick.. but is still one of the best. Can set this up as a bus or fire engine??? this was first used (type) on LA police helicopters...so it is good.

I have also a hand held Oregon that has a dash mount for the RV and for my electric buggy.. I allows me to see the speed in Kilometers and that is useful as it is in very large display.. plus gives the height of hills climbed in a day and very useful to make sure I do not over walk Ezzie when I am on the electric buggy.. great hand held kit. Can be set up as a normal saterlite device if required..

So I have the best of all worlds.. I often have two running at the same time (one in background mode.. i.e the pioneer while I have the Ventura actually doing the work.

But always I have a good road map and check the route first with that.

Plus google maps on the Dell notepad and also on the Apple IPAD on the route.. the Google World is useful to check the arrival areas to see if there is a possible issue..it also gives the elevations.

Bob:Eeek:

Bob

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi

going traveling all round europe in new year for 6 months. Going to France, Spain, Portugal Up to Holland, Germany, Sweden,Finland,Estonia, Lativia
Lithenuia, Poland, Czech Rep, Austria, Croatia, Serbia, Italy.
Thanks

You need more than a satnav, you need your own medical team and I think a camera crew would be a good idea. I picture one of the shots, bleary eyed soul, close to death "What month is it ?" "June" "Oh, is this Croatia then ?".

If you did manage that lot you will know nothing of any one of them.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi having had both TT & Garmin,I much prefer the Garmin :thumb:My TT used to tell me to turn in 100 mtrs then immediately yell that I must turn around and take the turn I passed after 10 mtrs :ROFLMAO: It also takes me to a set of T/ lights I know and took me around the one way system only to arrive at the same T/lights from the opposite side of the road telling me to turn right, when it would have been ok to turn left in the first place :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: None of that happens with the garmin :thumb:
Having said that :ROFLMAO: I was watching the gadget show a couple of weeks back and there is a new TT out that updates maps from GOOGLE maps so it is never out of date :thumb: Sounded like that is the way to go :thumb: and the best price for it was about £150 ish :thumb:
try googling - gadget show for details
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back