Which Reversing Camera??

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by mudmover, Aug 20, 2010.

1. mudmover

mudmover Read Only Funster

OK so the van is enroute for delivery in 2wks time......

The wife intends to take the kids off (without me as I have to pay for the debt) for trips in the MH. The T63 does not have a rear window hence packaing/ reversing could be quite a tricky task. my kids are still very young and not responsible to assist in parking....

So...I'm guessing we will need a camera + screen ....what would you recommend? I'm not after plasma screen quality..just a basic unit.

In terms of fitting, i would think the most difficult task is getting the wire into rear cab and then feeding it down into garage...Once inside MH I guess it will not be quite so tricky.....

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated....

Many thx
    MM

2. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

I had a Waeco unit fitted from new not cheap but must admit have been very happy with it. Our van has a back window but of no use for reversing too high up with camera unit fitted near roof line, I can see both edges of van and back bumper, and quite a distance back, reversing is no problem.
    I have mine switched so that I can turn on as required.

A friend had a radio unit fitted to his van and when he saw mine he went and changed to the same.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have a Camos unit - good quality and I'm happy with it. It's fairly basic but has a flat screen - you may not find many CRT models about now. Either Camos or Waeco are good.
    In terms of fitting, the tricky bits are getting a neat cable run at the back and then getting it into the dash area and fitting the reverse gear sensing wire. I decided not to try it myself, but got Dave Newell in Telford to supply and fit. He's a Funster and may not be too far from you.

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

Philip

5. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

CAMOS, being trying to remember what ours was ever since I read this:Doh:

Basic(one camera), but very tidy, good picture and as long as you add extra light, ie reverse lights on, even in the dark and the sounds good too, when I turn it up:Doh:

I have ours simply wired, no connection to reverse, just leave it on, no lag, and keep an eye on the bikes, plus if I loose the car behind (because they're a numpty driving to close) I can find them in the monitor:thumb:

Fitting on Winne, because like most RVs she has these hollow corner/top cap arrangment I was able to attach the camera to this and run the cable round and then along the chassis so no holes in the van, big bonus, and then dicovered, after a hell of a fight that there was a big bung (covered in sealant hence fight) where the parking brake cable came into the cab so a little adjustment and no hole required for the either:thumb:

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I purchased a 9" screen jobbie with three inputs and one camera from eBay, £68 from hong Kong (inclusive of delivery), quick delivery, super picture cannot fault it. beats Halfroids offerning hands down, never bothered fitting the reverse switch as I use it all the time as a rear veiw mirror, camera fitted so it can tilt right down for parking or hitching a trailer. Second camera ( purchased seperate around £18)gives a forward or side veiw depending on how set. forward from the lefthand seat when abroad and sideways when in UK, great for the blind "inverted Y" junctions when you don't have a passenger to help you out.

7. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Do not suggest the Pioneer

The pioneer is expensive and while it does the job and is a sat nav and music centre, the rear camera is a pain to use (had to have an override switch fitted in the end) I use the camera all the time as a rear view mirror (B class American RV) .. I need to see where the trailer is, I still had to fit back up alarms to get the lower corners covered when reversing. Also the camera is not a mirror image.. it is reverse way round.. 7" screen. The music is great, have 1,400 songs on the system so far and the sat nav is very good. But I wish I had gone for a pure camera and a seperate Sat Nav. Well over priced bit of kit.

Would not go down the road on the radio wave idea unless it is digital, to much interferance. Also who wants to run with there lights on all the time (have to wire the camera to a power source - hence the rear lights are often used to provide the power). Better to go for a fixed wired job and then it can be operated either via the reversing lamp link or an override if you want to use it as a rear view mirror.

Lots of items on the market and I noticed Road Pro do some great items at great prices. Van Bitz have some good gear as well, but not cheap. You pay your money these days whatever.

Overall I could not live without one.

Bob:Eeek:

8. Ivys

Ivys Read Only Funster

This is where we bought our kit:
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Reversingcamerasuk

We bought two cameras and one monitor. We found that the more costly CCD camera is worth the extra, here is a link:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-CCD-rev...5?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item35a8af5487
    We use one camera pointing straight out as a rear view mirror, and the other points down for reversing and hitching. It works really well.

And here is a kit with monitor and camera:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-CCD-rev...ight-rear-view-5m-/330428544797?pt=UK_Gadgets

Rog

9. mudmover

CAM

wow thats the one I had my eye on......

I own a CCTV/alarm distribution business so I know a little about cams and a previous posters comment about paying a little extra for the camera is very very true indeed - Forget CMOS cameras pay just £10 extra for a proper CCD cam( ideally 1/3" sony but sharp is ok).

I do have a discreet vandal proof dome cam that I'm considering for MH...This could be linked up to a 5" lcd screen for little money indeed with a picture quality of a £300 system...Its more a question of do you need it wired into reverse gear...I'm think an on /off button would suffice.

Will wait until van arrives and see how cam looks...Will then post an update /picture of set up.

And before anyone asks yes we do wireless alarms and have supplied to MHer's...

Cheers
    MM

10. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

Ours came with the van, but i rarely use it for parking purposes. Its a wide angle jobbie fixed just above the numberplate. While its fine for making sure theres no kids or animals in the near vicinity, its no good for distance. Because of the WA bit, you get a false perspective of the proximity of hazards. Theres been times when id be convinced i was within a foot or so of something, to get out and find its over a yard away. Id say a bleeper would be more beneficial in some circumstances, especially mine, where i have views from the mirrors + rear window.

11. Ivys

Ivys Read Only Funster

Because our reversing cam is set very high it's brilliant for reversing. You can see objects and judge distances very accurately. When I reverse to a trailer I get the ball exactly under the trailer (whatever the opposite of the ball is).

Rog

12. mudmover

Mirror or dash screen

Thanks for advice guys!!

So our cab is a Ford Transit tyope...which would be best suited...

A screen sat on the dashboard OR a mirror screen type..

What are the pro's and cons....

Cheers
    MM

13. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

I have Ford Transit based motorhome and find a screen sat on dash ideal, ours fits in offside corner of dash, makes using screen and outside mirror a simple matter, and does not get in way of looking through windscreen

14. Ivys

Ivys Read Only Funster

I have a LHD Ducato and the screen is on the dash in the nearside corner, ideal location for me - when I look at the screen I still see enough of the road to drive safely (when I look at my overhead mirror I can't see the road ahead properly).

Rog

15. mudmover

Screen

Dave, what size screen do you have? Is your tranny one of the newest Mk7 types.....Just to confirm you have screen fitted on driver side corner...correct?

Just checking as the dealer will fit for us before we pick up.

A 7" screen at 225mm long seems massive for a dash so I'm thinking the mirror/ screen option maybe better....

Thx
    MM

16. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

Yes a MK7 Ford Transit 2 yrs old, the Screen is a Waeco 5in diagonal measurement Screen. Fitted on driver side corner

Hope this helps

17. mudmover

Cam

Cheers Dave...thats exactly what I needed to know....

A 7" screen @ 225mm is simply massive and pretty unsightly....will look to get a 5" OR a mirror/ screen type...

Anybody with the mirror type camera, I would really like to hear from you.

Cheers
    MM

18. mudmover

Mirror / monitor screen

OK well weve reseached and it seems veba is a strong brand...

We like the idea of the camera being built into the mirror but the mirror would be a massive 260mm x 106mm....Would this block the view?

It seems a great concept as it keeps screen out of sight from prying eyes..

What do you think?

19. mudmover

20. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

We do them down here, there are two main types cmos and ccd.

The cmos type are a more basic camera, and are fairly cheap to purchase. The offer a low resolution display that can be effected by low sun, and night vision is quite poor and can be blinded by car headlights.

The ccd type have a clearer resolution with good display, and have far superior night vision. These do not suffer any effects of blinding from car headlights. The do cost more than the cmos type.

Both types can be mated to various displays:

1. A clip on mirror type, that covers your rear view mirror. It acts as a mirror whilst driving forward, and as soon as you reverse, will display your cameras vision.

2. A dash mounted vdu to display your reverse image/side view/front view by means of a quad screen display.

3. If you have an in-dash tv/dvd/sat nav type of stereo system, they can be wired through this.