mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
OK so the van is enroute for delivery in 2wks time......

The wife intends to take the kids off (without me as I have to pay for the debt) for trips in the MH. The T63 does not have a rear window hence packaing/ reversing could be quite a tricky task. my kids are still very young and not responsible to assist in parking....

So...I'm guessing we will need a camera + screen ....what would you recommend? I'm not after plasma screen quality..just a basic unit.

In terms of fitting, i would think the most difficult task is getting the wire into rear cab and then feeding it down into garage...Once inside MH I guess it will not be quite so tricky.....

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated....

Many thx
MM

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i have this one Link Removed i fitted it my self , always on and camera is wired to the number plate light so i always drive with the side lights on,
good quality picture but have to adjust the setting when driving at night

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

I had a Waeco unit fitted from new not cheap but must admit have been very happy with it. Our van has a back window but of no use for reversing too high up with camera unit fitted near roof line, I can see both edges of van and back bumper, and quite a distance back, reversing is no problem.
I have mine switched so that I can turn on as required.

A friend had a radio unit fitted to his van and when he saw mine he went and changed to the same.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Camos unit - good quality and I'm happy with it. It's fairly basic but has a flat screen - you may not find many CRT models about now. Either Camos or Waeco are good.
In terms of fitting, the tricky bits are getting a neat cable run at the back and then getting it into the dash area and fitting the reverse gear sensing wire. I decided not to try it myself, but got Dave Newell in Telford to supply and fit. He's a Funster and may not be too far from you.

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

Philip

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
CAMOS, being trying to remember what ours was ever since I read this:Doh:

Basic(one camera), but very tidy, good picture and as long as you add extra light, ie reverse lights on, even in the dark and the sounds good too, when I turn it up:Doh:

I have ours simply wired, no connection to reverse, just leave it on, no lag, and keep an eye on the bikes, plus if I loose the car behind (because they're a numpty driving to close) I can find them in the monitor:thumb:

Fitting on Winne, because like most RVs she has these hollow corner/top cap arrangment I was able to attach the camera to this and run the cable round and then along the chassis so no holes in the van, big bonus, and then dicovered, after a hell of a fight that there was a big bung (covered in sealant hence fight) where the parking brake cable came into the cab so a little adjustment and no hole required for the either:thumb:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I purchased a 9" screen jobbie with three inputs and one camera from eBay, £68 from hong Kong (inclusive of delivery), quick delivery, super picture cannot fault it. beats Halfroids offerning hands down, never bothered fitting the reverse switch as I use it all the time as a rear veiw mirror, camera fitted so it can tilt right down for parking or hitching a trailer. Second camera ( purchased seperate around £18)gives a forward or side veiw depending on how set. forward from the lefthand seat when abroad and sideways when in UK, great for the blind "inverted Y" junctions when you don't have a passenger to help you out.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Do not suggest the Pioneer

OK so the van is enroute for delivery in 2wks time......

The wife intends to take the kids off (without me as I have to pay for the debt) for trips in the MH. The T63 does not have a rear window hence packaing/ reversing could be quite a tricky task. my kids are still very young and not responsible to assist in parking....

So...I'm guessing we will need a camera + screen ....what would you recommend? I'm not after plasma screen quality..just a basic unit.

In terms of fitting, i would think the most difficult task is getting the wire into rear cab and then feeding it down into garage...Once inside MH I guess it will not be quite so tricky.....

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated....

Many thx
MM

The pioneer is expensive and while it does the job and is a sat nav and music centre, the rear camera is a pain to use (had to have an override switch fitted in the end) I use the camera all the time as a rear view mirror (B class American RV) .. I need to see where the trailer is, I still had to fit back up alarms to get the lower corners covered when reversing. Also the camera is not a mirror image.. it is reverse way round.. 7" screen. The music is great, have 1,400 songs on the system so far and the sat nav is very good. But I wish I had gone for a pure camera and a seperate Sat Nav. Well over priced bit of kit.

Would not go down the road on the radio wave idea unless it is digital, to much interferance. Also who wants to run with there lights on all the time (have to wire the camera to a power source - hence the rear lights are often used to provide the power). Better to go for a fixed wired job and then it can be operated either via the reversing lamp link or an override if you want to use it as a rear view mirror.

Lots of items on the market and I noticed Road Pro do some great items at great prices. Van Bitz have some good gear as well, but not cheap. You pay your money these days whatever.

Overall I could not live without one.

Bob:Eeek:

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
This is where we bought our kit:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Reversingcamerasuk

We bought two cameras and one monitor. We found that the more costly CCD camera is worth the extra, here is a link:
Link Removed
We use one camera pointing straight out as a rear view mirror, and the other points down for reversing and hitching. It works really well.

And here is a kit with monitor and camera:
Link Removed

Rog

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
CAM

This is where we bought our kit:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Reversingcamerasuk

We bought two cameras and one monitor. We found that the more costly CCD camera is worth the extra, here is a link:
Link Removed
We use one camera pointing straight out as a rear view mirror, and the other points down for reversing and hitching. It works really well.

And here is a kit with monitor and camera:
Link Removed

Rog

wow thats the one I had my eye on......

I own a CCTV/alarm distribution business so I know a little about cams and a previous posters comment about paying a little extra for the camera is very very true indeed - Forget CMOS cameras pay just £10 extra for a proper CCD cam( ideally 1/3" sony but sharp is ok).

I do have a discreet vandal proof dome cam that I'm considering for MH...This could be linked up to a 5" lcd screen for little money indeed with a picture quality of a £300 system...Its more a question of do you need it wired into reverse gear...I'm think an on /off button would suffice.

Will wait until van arrives and see how cam looks...Will then post an update /picture of set up.

And before anyone asks yes we do wireless alarms and have supplied to MHer's...

Cheers
MM

Upvote 0

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Ours came with the van, but i rarely use it for parking purposes. Its a wide angle jobbie fixed just above the numberplate. While its fine for making sure theres no kids or animals in the near vicinity, its no good for distance. Because of the WA bit, you get a false perspective of the proximity of hazards. Theres been times when id be convinced i was within a foot or so of something, to get out and find its over a yard away. Id say a bleeper would be more beneficial in some circumstances, especially mine, where i have views from the mirrors + rear window.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Because our reversing cam is set very high it's brilliant for reversing. You can see objects and judge distances very accurately. When I reverse to a trailer I get the ball exactly under the trailer (whatever the opposite of the ball is).

Rog

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Mirror or dash screen

Thanks for advice guys!!

So our cab is a Ford Transit tyope...which would be best suited...

A screen sat on the dashboard OR a mirror screen type..

What are the pro's and cons....

Cheers
MM

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I have Ford Transit based motorhome and find a screen sat on dash ideal, ours fits in offside corner of dash, makes using screen and outside mirror a simple matter, and does not get in way of looking through windscreen

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have a LHD Ducato and the screen is on the dash in the nearside corner, ideal location for me - when I look at the screen I still see enough of the road to drive safely (when I look at my overhead mirror I can't see the road ahead properly).

Rog

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Screen

I have Ford Transit based motorhome and find a screen sat on dash ideal, ours fits in offside corner of dash, makes using screen and outside mirror a simple matter, and does not get in way of looking through windscreen

Dave, what size screen do you have? Is your tranny one of the newest Mk7 types.....Just to confirm you have screen fitted on driver side corner...correct?

Just checking as the dealer will fit for us before we pick up.

A 7" screen at 225mm long seems massive for a dash so I'm thinking the mirror/ screen option maybe better....

Thx
MM

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi

Yes a MK7 Ford Transit 2 yrs old, the Screen is a Waeco 5in diagonal measurement Screen. Fitted on driver side corner

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Cam

Cheers Dave...thats exactly what I needed to know....

A 7" screen @ 225mm is simply massive and pretty unsightly....will look to get a 5" OR a mirror/ screen type...

Anybody with the mirror type camera, I would really like to hear from you.

Cheers
MM

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Mirror / monitor screen

OK well weve reseached and it seems veba is a strong brand...

We like the idea of the camera being built into the mirror but the mirror would be a massive 260mm x 106mm....Would this block the view?

It seems a great concept as it keeps screen out of sight from prying eyes..

What do you think?

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We do them down here, there are two main types cmos and ccd.

The cmos type are a more basic camera, and are fairly cheap to purchase. The offer a low resolution display that can be effected by low sun, and night vision is quite poor and can be blinded by car headlights.

The ccd type have a clearer resolution with good display, and have far superior night vision. These do not suffer any effects of blinding from car headlights. The do cost more than the cmos type.

Both types can be mated to various displays:

1. A clip on mirror type, that covers your rear view mirror. It acts as a mirror whilst driving forward, and as soon as you reverse, will display your cameras vision.

2. A dash mounted vdu to display your reverse image/side view/front view by means of a quad screen display.

3. If you have an in-dash tv/dvd/sat nav type of stereo system, they can be wired through this.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We do them down here, there are two main types cmos and ccd.

The cmos type are a more basic camera, and are fairly cheap to purchase. The offer a low resolution display that can be effected by low sun, and night vision is quite poor and can be blinded by car headlights.

The ccd type have a clearer resolution with good display, and have far superior night vision. These do not suffer any effects of blinding from car headlights. The do cost more than the cmos type.

Both types can be mated to various displays:

1. A clip on mirror type, that covers your rear view mirror. It acts as a mirror whilst driving forward, and as soon as you reverse, will display your cameras vision.

2. A dash mounted vdu to display your reverse image/side view/front view by means of a quad screen display.

3. If you have an in-dash tv/dvd/sat nav type of stereo system, they can be wired through this.

Are the mirror displays obstructive - as they are much larger than a conventional mirror size.

We do not have rear view so I'm not bothered about using as a normal mirror...I'm simply worried that the mirror may block view to my left...

Can anyone help advise on this?

Thx

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This was recommended by a funster last week
Link Removed
Know nothing about them just thought it good value - :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

martymul

Free Member
Jul 17, 2010
Funster No
These people do good reasonably priced kits to suit most needs and give good advice. I fitted one of their kits to an Eldis 130 with no difficulty and transferred the kit to a Transit based Burstner Nexxo again with no problems. I fitted the screen centrally on top of the dash and fitted all the bits and pieces under the lift up cup holder thingy. The handy 12v socket under the right hand lift up panel was used as a supply enabling use pemanently if required.
Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Reversing Cam

These people do good reasonably priced kits to suit most needs and give good advice. I fitted one of their kits to an Eldis 130 with no difficulty and transferred the kit to a Transit based Burstner Nexxo again with no problems. I fitted the screen centrally on top of the dash and fitted all the bits and pieces under the lift up cup holder thingy. The handy 12v socket under the right hand lift up panel was used as a supply enabling use pemanently if required.
Link Removed

I did look at these people but the gear seems a little ad hoc.....I'm sure theres nothing wrong with it

For £20 more I got a deal on a Veba system with audio - 5.8" screen, Sony CCD cam, 20 metre lead for £179.....(German quality).

I'll get it fitted before van is picked up so I can update performance...

Cheers
MM

Vanbitz offers this system fitted for £520!!

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Are the mirror displays obstructive - as they are much larger than a conventional mirror size.

We do not have rear view so I'm not bothered about using as a normal mirror...I'm simply worried that the mirror may block view to my left...

Can anyone help advise on this?

Thx

Hi We had a Eonon reversing/rear view mirror camera, fitted to our new motorhome last week and it is fantastic. It fits onto the rear view mirror so does not obstruct the screen in any way. We decided we wanted it to be a rear view camera, but the technician decided he would link it to the reversing light so it has gone back to Marquis to be installed correctly! The picture is crystal clear.

We bought it from ebay and it was about £75.

10.2 Inch CAR BACK-VIEW LCD Monitor
- Screen Size: 10.2 Inch
- Display mode: Left 4.5/5.5/6.8/8.5/full screen/Right8.5/6.8
- Power supply: DC 12V±10%
- Operation temperature: 0~60°C
- Video system: PAL/NTSC auto switching
- View angle: up 30/down 30/left 60/right 60°
- Power consumption: 12W
- Resolution: 240*800RGB
- Dual video input (video 2 for back car cam in)
- Image brightness/saturation/mode/reset/contrast/hue/OSD language adjustable
- OSD language: English/Japanese
- Last memory play function
- Unit size: 273(W)*110(H)*26(D) mm

High Definition Wide Angle Waterproof and Color CMD CAMERA
- High Definition Display
- Waterproof Function
- Reversing Guard line Function
- Wide Angle: 170°
- Horizontal View angle: 120°
- Image sensor: OV 7950
- Video System: NTSC only
- Total Pixels: 656×492
- Resolution: 420 TV Lines
- Mini Lumination: 2.0 LUX
- Video Output: 1.0 Vpp composite video at 75ohm
- Power Supply: DC 9~15V

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I did look at these people but the gear seems a little ad hoc.....I'm sure theres nothing wrong with it

For £20 more I got a deal on a Veba system with audio - 5.8" screen, Sony CCD cam, 20 metre lead for £179.....(German quality).

I'll get it fitted before van is picked up so I can update performance...

Cheers
MM

Vanbitz offers this system fitted for £520!!

You will probably find that vanbitz are quoting that price including fitting. Mine are not near that price, unless you have an in-dash entertainment system as well, in which case it is more.

The fitting invloved is quite alot of work for what in effect is such a cheap item to buy - if you do it properly and neatly anyway! I don't get call-backs so to me, doing it right first time is worth it, even if it does take longer! Modern vehicles, you have to be very careful with, as all you have to do is add a wire, two feet further down the same cable and you have problems - i get lots of calls from people that have fitted their own GPS and have fitted the wire in the wrong place on the VSS and blown the hall and ECU!

Yesterday I fitted an entertainment system to a minibus with reversing cameras etc. It meant taking out all the interior panels, tailgate covers and feeing wires through the roof and removing the dash etc to keep everything out of sight. Not only were there reversing camera wires, but GPS, Freeview TV, Handsfree wires etc

The whole job job took all day - because he had purchased cheap electronics (his entertainment system) from an auction site. The system worked very well, and looked fantastic - but cheap chinese wiring harnesses meant it was playing up, the cd/dvd wouldn't release, the illumination was flickering - so this meant many hours of fault finding!

If you are paying an auto electrician to do the job properly, neatly and take as much time as it needs to make it right, repair cheap wiring looms or make new ones, there is alot of work involved in fitting and fitting them correctly - that does cost money. Not alot more, but needs to be paid for. I can't charge an hourly rate for these things as it would be way too much! So I go by a set fee, which is a gamble if i scrape profit or not - but I do try to be fair!:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mudmover

Free Member
Apr 30, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Auto electrician

I certainly appreciate the skill needed to run wires in an automobile!!

Its great to see someone offering a service and a personal one at that...

My cam will be fitted by Salop Leisure as thats where the van is coming from but hopefully they will do a great job.

I will be throughly checking on handover:thumb:

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2017
Hampshire Coast
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy
Exp
New
Not wanting to start a brand new thread, but is there anything to add to the above information. I'd like to fit a reversing camera but what should i look out for? Any recommendations?

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Just posted this in a similar thread;

My first trip without a camera were, fraught, scary and hazardous.

Additionally I couldn't access some places I wanted to visit because of the lack of reversing accuracy.

So I was plagued by the same questions.

I settled on;

A twin camera.
High mounted.
Monitor located above/on the speedo console, not on the rear view mirror. Less eye movement between the monitor and mirrors.
Paid a motorhome specialist to instal it, I wouldn't want to be drilling into my water/damp proof body.
Got a great deal on an end of range model.
It came with a remote control pad, for which I have found no use and all the controls are on the monitor and where I had it mounted I can reach it easily.

I would add, once fitted I took the van, some cardboard boxes and four traffic cones to a large supermarket carpark late on a Sunday afternoon and practiced so as to 'calibrate' the camera and my driving skills.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back