Which outdoor BBQ do people recommend? (1 Viewer)

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
I have had a Cadac in the past, but it had so many bits that I didn't use it was a bit of a waste.

Can anyone suggest which is the best suited to carrying and using while motorhoming?

Planning on picking one up before our first France trip.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Oh yeah, forgot to say, deffo buy the portable Weber 'starter'................ even better than sliced bread ;)

Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Cobb for us.
whole chicken and roast potatoes and hot water at end using small aluminium kettle that sits under dome.
45 minutes start to finish at 25 min mark turn whole chicken over and add potatoes no checking and meat falls off the bone mmmmmmmm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Right then, lets put this BBQ caper to rest....... :rolleyes:

Cobb ........ best for roast meat (but not a proper barbie)

Cadac ....... best for grilling stuff on a hot plate (but not a proper barbie)

Weber .......best for being a proper barbie that cooks food that looks and tastes like its been cooked on a charcoal fired barbecue :D:D:D:D

Don't shoot me :eek::rolleyes::D

Upvote 0

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi @MJG1959 ,

We bought the top model in the range 2 years ago. I have to say that they are well made, well engineered quality products. I had seen other people use them and they looked impressive...........

Anyway, we used ours 4 times in all, and each time the Cobb took 'ages' to cook and when it had cooked stuff it was then about ready to go out. The cleaning up afterwards is a right fiasco too. I would say that are probably best suited to using as an 'outdoor oven' than as a barbecue. Due to the style of cooking the heat is indirect. Also we found from experience that they are very sensitive to wind and do not get very hot unless sheltered.

If you like 'proper' barbecued food then a Cobb is not really suitable.

We bought the Weber GoAnywhere (at £50 hehe) last year and I can honestly say it is the best 'portable' barbecue that I have ever used.

Regarding the Smokey Joe I believe that model has the 'edge' on smoking over the GoAnywhere but is a little bulkier to pack away in a motorhome.

Remember this is all my own personal experience, but it is just that...... experience :whistle:

Stick with the Weber (y):D

Ok stuff to ponder thanks.

I have used a Weber go anywhere, there was one in a cottage we rented last year and found it ok.

My Smokey Joe is OK storeage wise on the boat but I think it would be a bit harder to store neatly in a MH.

The only thing I dislike about the Webers is the lack of grill height adjustment, this is the case on even their larger models. I realise the Cobb is similarly lacking but a variable grill height would give more flexibility IMHO.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The other really useful time to have with a bbq (well for any cooking actually) is a Digital Thermometer

Broken Link Removed

It has transformed our cooking in a 'wish I bought one years ago' way (y)

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Spoke to Birstall to add the chimney starter without having to pay seperate postage & very nice lady (fellow motorhomer & told her about Fun :)) advised that they have just had a rush on the Weber Go Anywhere both in store & just now with online orders :D Just shows the power of Fun & it's not just us that post on here but all those that just read the comments plus Google searches that end up here (y) They have stock coming in today & a lot more on order so ours should be delivered in the next week but unlikely to be next day as says on website.

Upvote 0

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Spoke to Birstall to add the chimney starter without having to pay seperate postage & very nice lady (fellow motorhomer & told her about Fun :)) advised that they have just had a rush on the Weber Go Anywhere both in store & just now with online orders :D Just shows the power of Fun & it's not just us that post on here but all those that just read the comments plus Google searches that end up here (y) They have stock coming in today & a lot more on order so ours should be delivered in the next week but unlikely to be next day as says on website.
Yes , I got an email to say the BBQ is on order , 4 - 5 days .

Upvote 0

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well being me I carry 3 BBQ's. Cadac Safari, small and neat and I cook my breakfast on it. A Son of Habachi, quick to light as it's a chimney when closed, adjustable racks, easy to put out and and save fuel. Finally a Cobb, you can basically do anything with that, smoking, roasting, grilling and baking. Most people who have trouble with them use the wrong fuel, it must be either their Cobb's own or heat beads. If I had to leave one behind it would be the Habachi, two, then the Safari would go. :)

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Maybe not a popular option but for anyone that is concerned about using petrochemicals when bbqing then there are natural firelighters which are wool & wax based which work well. We stopped using the Cobb Cobblestones & changed to charcoal & natural firelighters in our Cobb after reading the health scares a couple of years ago.May not be anything in it but don't want to take the risk... Cobb were meant to be bringing out new Cobblestones that were free of petrochemicals but when I enquired about the new style ones they had reverted back to petrochemical additives as other prototypes were not as effective.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Can't find the natural fire lighters that we used but if not wool & wax then something like these in wood & wax
Broken Link Removed £4.15 if collecting
Broken Link Removed £7.64 delivered
For MVF to sell them they should work. Will give these a try when we have used up our stock of the wool ones.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi @MJG1959 ,

We bought the top model in the range 2 years ago. I have to say that they are well made, well engineered quality products. I had seen other people use them and they looked impressive...........

Anyway, we used ours 4 times in all, and each time the Cobb took 'ages' to cook and when it had cooked stuff it was then about ready to go out. The cleaning up afterwards is a right fiasco too. I would say that are probably best suited to using as an 'outdoor oven' than as a barbecue. Due to the style of cooking the heat is indirect. Also we found from experience that they are very sensitive to wind and do not get very hot unless sheltered.

If you like 'proper' barbecued food then a Cobb is not really suitable.

We bought the Weber GoAnywhere (at £50 hehe) last year and I can honestly say it is the best 'portable' barbecue that I have ever used.

Regarding the Smokey Joe I believe that model has the 'edge' on smoking over the GoAnywhere but is a little bulkier to pack away in a motorhome.

Remember this is all my own personal experience, but it is just that...... experience :whistle:

Stick with the Weber (y):D

I couln't agree more. I had exactly the same experience. The Cobb was fine but it is indirect and really more like a hotplate powered by charcoal and its a bugger to clean. I use our Webber go anywhere because its fits in a locker more easily than the smokey joe. However, if I had choice I would prefer the smokey joe over the go anywhere.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
custom-bbq-trailer-5.jpg

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you get the chimney starter, you don't need any nasty chemicals to get it going, just a bit of scrunched up newspaper (we won't mention the waste oil, carbon black and other chemicals in the ink tho :LOL:) and maybe a drizzel of veg oil on the paper and away you go. The best way round the lack of grill height adjustment with the Webbers is to move the food away from the fire. I generally keep all the burning charcoal at one end of my Go Anywhere and move the food nearer as required, once the lid is on, you still get the full charcoal experience.
You can do beercan chicken in the Go Anywhere too, just drink half the beer and put the can in the chicken with the ring pull hole uppermost with the can and chicken horizontal on the grill (y)

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Which charcoal is best for the go anywhere ?
I have used both briquettes and the 'real stuff'..... all worked fine :)

Although as it happens I think that the 'real' stuff feels more right :confused:

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Half empty beer can ( with fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley) up the chuff of a paprika rubbed chicken, close the lid of the Weber and cooks a treat whilst you sit and drink the remaining cans of the 6 pack.....what's not to like about BBQ's..?

Happy days...

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We think our Cadac is the best bbq to cook on, we don't carry all the different grills, we bought a paella pan and cook every thing in that, wipes out easy
We did the same. Using a Cadac as a regular barbie is not on, the thought of cleaning the bloody thing would ruin my meal. But the paella pan just needs a wipe clean. Then if you're only using the Paella pan why bother lugging the Cadac around when you can just use a small gas cooker and the pan.

One of these costs a tenner and Funsters will have seen us cook 800 rashers of bacon using only that set up (y) It's all we use for outside cooking now, can't beat it, it's light and takes up no space at all and gives us the ability to cook anywhere we like, even take it down the beach to cook mackerel ;)

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Half empty beer can ( with fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley) up the chuff of a paprika rubbed chicken, close the lid of the Weber and cooks a treat whilst you sit and drink the remaining cans of the 6 pack.....what's not to like about BBQ's..?

Happy days...

:LOL::LOL: Is "up the chuff" a new gastronomic expression, I must pass it on the net time I see Michel Roux!:LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Which charcoal is best for the go anywhere ?

Lump wood charcoal is the easiest to light and gives good results for steak, sausages and burgers but if you're doing a longer cook (whole chicken or lump of pork) Heat Beads are the best. Don't buy instant lighting stuff as it's soaked with petrochemicals :(

Upvote 0

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Bought the Cadac safari chef at the NEC show last week having looked for a while at what to buy for MH bbq. Looks a great piece of kit and all folds down into a small bag.

Upvote 0

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
The best thing about this is it gets everyone outside!
you can cook a joint of meat on it as well.
We have tapas little dishes good for eggs beans got pizza stone for xmas not tested yet.
You can cook 4~5 things at once loads space!
got ours amazon.
Best of luck
Jim

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back