Which outdoor BBQ do people recommend? (1 Viewer)

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
I have had a Cadac in the past, but it had so many bits that I didn't use it was a bit of a waste.

Can anyone suggest which is the best suited to carrying and using while motorhoming?

Planning on picking one up before our first France trip.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We use one of those titchy little gas jobbies unless of course it's party time then we tow this baby out..........

barbecue-salva-spazio.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
We've got a suitcase stove on which we can use stuff from the camper such as a griddle pan, frying pan, or 'gourmet grill', so no extra bits other than the stove to carry around, also the stove itself can be used to boil a kettle when waiting for the tunnel train (once the main camper gas has been turned off). We can also use it to supplement our 2 ring hob if needs be too.
View attachment 55256
View attachment 55258
View attachment 55259
We also have a 3 in one suitcase stove/grill/bbq which we use occasionally in the summer when we cook outdoors more.
View attachment 55257
As both work off the easily found and cheap gas aerosol type canisters (no large bottles to cart around or needing a BBQ point to attach it to) they can be used in whatever location we want ... even taken on the beach if necessary ... or away from the van if cooking something smelly or messy.

We've had Cadacs and Beauclaire BBQs and the above suits our needs perfectly for our camper.

same here, gave up on BBQ's and now just use a suitcase stove and a grill pan/paella pan.....easy clean and cheap

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't like gas ones, used to lug a charcoal one around but the only ones that work well are ones with cast iron base, very cheap in French Hypermarkets.
Don't bother now just more weight and by the time you have lit it takes twice as long to cook dinner.
The van has got a perfectly good hob & oven much easier to use them.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have both large and small Cadacs. Lovely to use but a pain to carry around. Like others have said a picnic stove and a griddle pan. Less to clean up and multi function. :)

Upvote 0

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
We use a Weber at home and a Weber Smokey
Joe on the boat. Both have served us well for many many years.

I do like the look of a Cobb though.....I have seen these before while boating and like the look of them and how they perform.

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We had a Cadac chef but found it too big to lug around so now use that at home. Just bought a safari chef that fits in an under floor locker easily. Haven't used it yet though ...

Upvote 0

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Am I the only one who doesn't get barbecuing ? :(

I guess it depends on what you mean by BBQ'ing.

If you mean eating sausages and burgers which are black and burnt on the outside and raw inside I would say you would not be on your own.

However for those that like to be a bit more creative and use their BBQ's as a heat source to create some lovely tasty well cooked meals then possibly you would be yes. We often just use ours as an oven in the summer so we can cook outside or we like to try various different BBQ recipes many of which can be found on the internet or in books.

Essentially at the end of the day as I say its a heat source, its up to you how you use one to cook.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Broken Link Removed ................ it's BRILL (y)

We had a Cobb and were so disappointed with it we sold it. It was big, cumbersome and took up a lot of space.

The Weber GoAnywhere is very good quality and has already been said, also good for smoking food too.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Broken Link Removed ................ it's BRILL (y)

We had a Cobb and were so disappointed with it we sold it. It was big, cumbersome and took up a lot of space.

The Weber GoAnywhere is very good quality and has already been said, also good for smoking food too.

I'll second that.. proper BBQ ..(y)

it's well made, compact and should last a lifetime if cared for.. just a like a baby Kettle Weber.. as said you can smoke in it, heat pies, or pizza.. and bake bread..

I've tried many, including the Cadac, now laying behind the shed ..un loved and forgotten

nothing beats a proper charcoal barbie..

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The Webber smokey joe or go anywhere grills ( I have both) are great well made bits of kit, they are real barbecues too which give a different taste to the food than the Cadac or other gas grills which are really no more than outside hotplates, although somecwhich have lids ca be used as ovens. I do have a small Cadac go grill which is good to use as a substitute when real barbecues are not allowed, but my first choice will always be real charcoal or wood burning in the Webber.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Do like the Cobb as can cook a whole chicken but it is big & bulky for travel & a bit of a pain to wash up (I'm told:whistle:) so had a look at the Weber Go Anywhere & Mr Womble is very tempted.... Good prices for it online at this time of year. Will find the best price & post for anyone else considering this. Aftersales Weber warranty looks simple too.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Do like the Cobb as can cook a whole chicken but it is big & bulky for travel & a bit of a pain to wash up (I'm told:whistle:) so had a look at the Weber Go Anywhere & Mr Womble is very tempted.... Good prices for it online at this time of year. Will find the best price & post for anyone else considering this. Aftersales Weber warranty looks simple too.

Yup, the Cobb is rubbish :whistle: Get the Weber, you won't regret it (y)

Upvote 0

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Yup, the Cobb is rubbish :whistle: Get the Weber, you won't regret it (y)

Would the Cobb 'knockers' care to elaborate please.

I have been fancying one for a while to replace my Smokey Joe which is a bit battered now but would re think this on the basis of more info.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Ok Chocksaway it's all your fault for making me spend money! :D Best price for Weber Go Anywhere is £59 (£20 less than most other retailers) including next day free delivery(y) Suggest using Paypal at checkout for extra buyer protection. See Broken Link Removed
weber_go_anywhere_portable_charcoal_bbq_xl.jpg

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Snap Colinw! Can always sell the Cobb if Mr Womble prefers cooking with this...

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Would the Cobb 'knockers' care to elaborate please.

I have been fancying one for a while to replace my Smokey Joe which is a bit battered now but would re think this on the basis of more info.

Cheers.

Hi @MJG1959 ,

We bought the top model in the range 2 years ago. I have to say that they are well made, well engineered quality products. I had seen other people use them and they looked impressive...........

Anyway, we used ours 4 times in all, and each time the Cobb took 'ages' to cook and when it had cooked stuff it was then about ready to go out. The cleaning up afterwards is a right fiasco too. I would say that are probably best suited to using as an 'outdoor oven' than as a barbecue. Due to the style of cooking the heat is indirect. Also we found from experience that they are very sensitive to wind and do not get very hot unless sheltered.

If you like 'proper' barbecued food then a Cobb is not really suitable.

We bought the Weber GoAnywhere (at £50 hehe) last year and I can honestly say it is the best 'portable' barbecue that I have ever used.

Regarding the Smokey Joe I believe that model has the 'edge' on smoking over the GoAnywhere but is a little bulkier to pack away in a motorhome.

Remember this is all my own personal experience, but it is just that...... experience :whistle:

Stick with the Weber (y):D

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Weber go anywhere , birstall.com £59.00 free delivery .I ordered the thing for heating coals up @ £10.99 as well .

Ok Chocksaway it's all your fault for making me spend money! :D Best price for Weber Go Anywhere is £59 (£20 less than most other retailers) including next day free delivery(y) Suggest using Paypal at checkout for extra buyer protection. See Broken Link RemovedView attachment 55277

Well done team....... way to go (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back