Which one ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GRC, Jul 28, 2012.

1. GRC

GRC Funster

Hi guys,
    This is my first post & I havent owned a camper for 20 years, so my knowledge is about zero on these new Motohomes.

We are looking through the mine field of which Motorhome to purchase, I would love to get some help & opinions, my main problem is that i'm 6.3", so the French style beds are no good, & don't want single beds.

Where I intend to park, has a max of 7.8 metres.

I am edging towards the Auto Trail Delaware, Good or bad ?

Please help

Garry

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Gary and welcome :thumb: cannot advise on the Delaware,but layout is probably the most important thing :thumb:No good having a six ft bed when you are 6' 3" :BigGrin: so it is important that you try every thing before you buy.:thumb:Dinettes are good for eating but no good for relaxing in :BigGrin:I see the Delaware has a Island bed so make sure you try every thing out to see how other beds make up /fit/ etc -good luck and I hope what ever you choose you ENJOY :Smile:
    terry

3. sedge

sedge Funster

Bed dimensions, see bottom of this page

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/index.php/frontier-delaware.html

Think you'd struggle in the fixed bed in view of the rounded corners, unless you like sleeping cornerwise anyway? But the front one - which I presume would be the dinette converted? - you'd have NP.

If you want a fixed bed - wouldn't you do better with one with a transverse double across the rear, usually over a garage?

4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Hi Garry

Welcome!

As has been suggested, a transverse bed will usually be the longest you'll find in a motorhome, be this a fixed bed over a garage, or one made up from the lounge seating (usually 2 inward facing settees).

5. sedge

sedge Funster

Yes Minx, the dinette bed in the Delaware is 2m 10cm, whereas the fixed is only 1m 90cm and that would be to the straight bit not the cut-offs. So in the fixed the OP would have to sleep with the top of his head jammed against the back wall, since that is exactly 6' 3" long !

6. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Hi GRC i too am 6ft 3" i have a rear double fixed bed with one rounded corner in my autotrail cheyanne and find it ok but even better if sleep diagonaly but try a few layouts first to see what fits you best :thumb:

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I can give you name of a good surgeon.

But you'd have no trouble in our little Burstner because the Luton bed is full width of the vehicle. I guess most over cab beds will be.

8. f6c

f6c Funster

welcome

Welcome aboard:Wink:

9. GRC

GRC Funster

Right guys,

Been out all day, on the hunt again.

The Auto Trail Mohawk seems to be in the number one position, as the bed is much bigger, & the added bonus of the large store underneath, which I guess with a bit of head scratching I could convert into a dog kennel, as this has also been a dilemma, as the wife & I agree (for a change) that we weren't to keen on letting the dogs jump about in a 50K motor home.

I am normally very positive buying cars etc, but am finding this a minefield.

Is there a good time to buy, for a cost saving ie, winter or summer ?

Thanks

Garry

10. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi again Garry (Is there a good time to buy, for a cost saving ie, winter or summer ? ) I take it you are buying new ? If so then now is a good time :BigGrin: at least you will get a good few mths use before either laying up or moving south for the winter :BigGrin:Nothing much sells come November until March so you may get a bargain price then just for the dealer to keep overheads down-- they sometimes offer good prices on what will be last yrs model new in jan/feb -Once you make your mind up which van then start shopping around for the best deal :thumb: but also remember new vans nearly all have problems :Eeek::Sad: so it may be worth getting the van local providing it is from a good dealer :Wink:
    Do not think because you are spending 50k on a van that they give a toss about you or the van after you have paid :Eeek::Eeek:Lots of horror story's from people who bought from wrong dealer :Angry: so once you decide on your van and ring around for best deal come back and ask about dealers :Smile:
    terry