Which one?! HELP

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by dutchcoles, Jan 7, 2010.

1. dutchcoles

dutchcoles Read Only Funster

Hi all

I am looking to buy a campervan up to £2500 so that I can start my travels. I am hoping to travel to europe in the summer so I need something reliable. I have been given some advice from a mechanic friend of mine who says that I should only be looking at certain Fiats, Ford or VW but only the newer T4's with water cooled engines. He has discounted alll others and has said that I should only be looking at newer models. However my budget will find difficulty getting there.

However, he has also admited that he knows nothing about campervans and actually dosen't even like them and prefers caravans so I'm guessing his advice may not necessarily be the best.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Is there a year I should go no older than? Which make? What I should be looking for? And anything else you may think useful would be great.

I have been looking at a Ford Glendale but its from 1985 - does that may it a no go and is there certain questions I should ask the seller?
    Many Thanks
    Stacey

2. madbluemad

madbluemad

Not being rude but should there be another zero on the end there ??

Jim

:Smile:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. dutchcoles

Hi Jim

Maybe in a few years time when I'm older but as it is I'm only young and thats the budget that I've got unfortunately. Believe me I would love to have that sort of budget but I guess we all have to start somewhere.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

have you got a link or any more info ?

damp is the main thing to look for in ANY van, old or new.. look everywhere, in cupboards, around windows and roof lights .. any signs need full investigation and if it smells damp.. walk away..

as already asked .. is your budget only £2.5k ? if so you will be hard pressed to find anything without major work being required

jim

5. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

We have an old 1990 motorhome our previous one was a 1987?

We cant afford anything either newer or larger and are quite happy with ours. Occasionally there is a bargain to be had but please select your vehicle carefully xxxx

We have had this one about 2 years now. We replaced the headlights and indicators for the MOT had new tyres and new batteries. We also replaced at reasonable prices the original starter motor and the original alternator.

When buying older vehicles it is especially important to get them thoroughly checked - before leaving a deposit and before paying in full.

Have a look at any service history and check mileage - some people buy a motorhome expecting to use it a lot, but then it sits for a long time, so there are some genuine low mileage ones out there but, get an HPI and MOT certificate check done.

Apart from the normal vehicle checks for things such as rot and rust, you should get the interior inspected too - Mark at CLS may be able to assist you with this but the gas and water supply and toilet systems should be checked too as well as any sign of damp. Although some of these can sound expensive, especially when on a small budget, remember that £200 on cheques could save you losing £2000 plus.

The older the vehicle the likelihood that replacement parts may not be readily available must also be taken into consideration. Ours is 20 years old this year and we have found some parts are hard to come by and those available can be extremely expensive. Our replacement headlights came to about £200 last year.

Good luck in your search hope you find a real gem xxxx

6. dutchcoles

Thanks Jim

£2.5 K is it I'm afraid. I know i'm not going to get state of the art but I'm happy with one that will run and is reliable. I had heard to look for damp. Would you recommend getting one of those meters you can buy at the DIY stores to take actual measurements.

Another option would be to get a conversion but I'm also heard that's not such a great idea.

Heres a link to the ones I mentioned

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C128828?pt=pf

Once again thanks for the advice. It really is appreciated.

7. dutchcoles

Thanks so much for the advice. It really is useful and I'll definately look into those cheques. I hadn't realised you could do that!!

You've definately given me food for thought.
    :thumb:
    x

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's a nice idea but it doesn't work like that, unless you are incredibly lucky.

The phrase I was thinking of was "buying trouble".

The worst case is you spend all your money and then end up in the middle of Europe with a broken engine/gearbox/suspension.

I'd love you to me wrong, but take care.

9. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

As said dutchcoles, your budjet is a little on the small side but nothing is impossible.

Have you thought about doing yourself a van conversion'? or buying a van conversion as opposed to a coach built?

something along these lines may give you an idea

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1986-C-FIAT-D...Motorhomes?hash=item20aebc5db1#ht_1883wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/toyota-hiace-..._Motorhomes?hash=item4a9d839a36#ht_600wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRANSIT-CAMPE..._Motorhomes?hash=item255825a4d3#ht_500wt_1182

All I would say is like Brian says, I know money can be tough but buying a van with little mechanical knowledge might lead you to more problems than you could immagine in that price range.
    Gail (ourcamper) speaks wisely and offers you good advice but her Tony's good with spanners. are you?
    some other considerations for your travel is that if your van is over 20yrs old (which it will be) breakdown cover can be hard when abroad.

You mention european travel, and starting your travels and reliability. If I was brutally honest that package wont come at £2.5k. Why not save again or keep saving untill you can look more realisticly or buy a http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-FIAT-DUC...ial_Trucks?hash=item439c0ab483#ht_2133wt_1165

and then convert it your self as you go along, for example putting some windows in and a few bits and pieces can be cheaper than you think.:thumb: and great fun.

just seen this one. Already ply lined and good condition http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiat-Ducato-v...cial_Trucks?hash=item1c0f300dbd#ht_500wt_1182

10. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Seriously, Tracey, have you thought about camping?

The Senior partner and I have camped for ovr 50 years. We regularly spent 6-8 weeks touring Europe. In our last car, a Mondeo, we put a 4-berth tent, bed, loo (we're mature), table and chairs, cookers +gas, 2 folding bikes, inflatable canoe, and all our clothes and kit. No bike- or roof- racks, and over 40 mpg. We could also go where even the hardiest MHs might hesitate, park anywhere, and get around quicker.

It's only because we knew we would need a van sometime in the future that we've switched, but it's been great so far, and this site is super.

So why motor-home worrying about cash and comfort when you can do a pretty similar job in style??? Save it for maturity...

Good luck, though if you crack on with a van, and keep us all posted

11. dutchcoles

This again has given me food for thought. I don't really fancy a caravan but camping with a tent could def be a possibility and I need to buy a new car anyway so was going to spend most money on the van and then buy a cheap run around. What sort of reg would you recommend of car tho?

12. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

Hi we bought our camper for £2000 and have already done Malaga twice no prob to be honest I carry plenty of tools and recovery just in case :thumb:

Brian and Marion

13. dutchcoles

What make conversion did you go for?

Thanks

14. chesterfield hooligan

Hi it is a Sprinter van converted basicly a caravan what someone has fitted into a van works well not by any means a posh jobby no shower ! we get a average of 500 miles on a tank of diesel :thumb:but we are of to France ,Spain,Portugal, for two months this Spring we are at Chesterfield or dont mind traveling if you want to have a look around and a cup of tea :thumb:
    Brian and Marion

15. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Thats the sort of thing I was talking about. :thumb:

You say your getting a car as well? well your budjet has just increased, get a van and use it as your transport aswell.:thumb:

16. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Stacey

I have attempted to email you though not sure if it went through. Check and see if you have mail. If not, then 'im' me.

17. hilldweller

To key to cheap motoring. If you have to keep running to a garage you're stuffed.

Trouble is, we're now in the age of the obligatory garage with diagnostics, so what hope for some cheap fun in the future ? Morocco was noticeable for it's many many old Mercedes.

18. chesterfield hooligan

We also plan on Morocco later on but not sure yet, if there are that many old Mercedes there:Rofl1:

19. hilldweller

Wonderful place from a craftsman's point of view. The things you see being made on the pavement or in tiny little workshops is amazing. Not for them the throw away life style. And if a vehicle does get scrapped it will end up as a cart and goodness knows what else.

20. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

That depends on what you drive over there Brian.

If it's a Ford Transit.....no problem. Germany, France, Belgium, Poland, I even came across Ford garages in Ukraine. And spares are plentiful and cheap.