Which Oil for my Motorhome - "Semi Synthetic Long Drain 7 Oil" (1 Viewer)

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi

We have a Fiat Ducato chassis on our motorhome, our dealer tells us I need

Semi Synthetic long drain 7 Oil

But...they cant supply it and I cant find somewhere to buy it, does anyone know a substitute or recommend another other?

Thanks

N&K

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi

We have a Fiat Ducato chassis on our motorhome, our dealer tells us I need

Semi Synthetic long drain 7 Oil

But...they cant supply it and I cant find somewhere to buy it, does anyone know a substitute or recommend another other?

Thanks

N&K
Fist question is, do you intend to have long extended service intervals, if not and you choose annual servicing then any good 10 /40 semi will do just fine, maybe one of our resident Motorhome dealers or techies would care to confim or refute this
Geo

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I agree with Geo,:thumb: go to any motor spares shop and buy some then give it to your garage to use :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: cannot understand why they have non or cannot supply it :Eeek:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'm guessing that you have the 2.8 jtd engine in which case any good quality 10w 40 semi synthetic oil will be fine. The 2.0 and 2.3 varients are euro 3 spec engines and require 5w 40 fully synthetic. I am not familiar with long drain 7 so not sure what it means.

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
I'm guessing that you have the 2.8 jtd engine in which case any good quality 10w 40 semi synthetic oil will be fine. The 2.0 and 2.3 varients are euro 3 spec engines and require 5w 40 fully synthetic. I am not familiar with long drain 7 so not sure what it means.

Hi Dave

Correct, it is the 2.8 JTD. From what I understand (google :RollEyes:) Long Drain means if it going to be stood without use for long periods of time?

Thanks

N&K

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Dave

Correct, it is the 2.8 JTD. From what I understand (google :RollEyes:) Long Drain means if it going to be stood without use for long periods of time?

Thanks

N&K
Sorry but your understanding is incorrect
the term Long Drain refers to the amount of time the Oil can remain in service and still retain it's TBN (Total Base Number) a term used in oil analysis, and means you can now do many thousands of miles more before an oil change is reqd, hence my reference to extended service intervals in my first reply, these oils contain large amount of detergents and anti acid compounds, they are mainly used in high mileage fleet vehicles
They offer no better protection for low use vehicles than standard oils, and can cost up to 10 times more.
If you are concerned about standing your vehicle for a long period I would suggest using one of the oils such as Magnetec that boasts leaving a coating on the engine components, Remember there is no real substitute for an annual oil and filter change
So if you are not thinking of going down the extended service route you don't need these fancy oils
if you want them there is little I or anyone else can say, its your choice
Geo

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: Got to agree with Geo again :thumb::ROFLMAO: If you are only going to do say 4/5000 mls per yr and change your oil every yr why pay for full syn which you are going to take out after 12 mths ::bigsmile: instead of the say 12,000 plus?
I put in full syn in the wifes merc and 12 mths and 100 mls later (yes 100) it went for anual service and I asked them to leave the oil in as they only use semi syn, and when I got the bill they had drained it out and put there semi syn in:Eeek::cry::Angry::Angry: not very good :Angry: glad to say it has gone now but put me off merc dealers for life/but that's another story :ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Thanks Geo - very detailed :Eeek: :Smile:

10/40 semi-synthetic for me then! :thumb:

N&K

Last edited:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I change my oil every 5000 miles and change the filter on alternate oil changes. I always use the 10W40 semi synthetic and I have already covered 100,000 miles on it with no problems.

I usually buy a couple of 5 litre bottles ( for want of a better word ) from Champion or Carrefour when I am in France, it is so much cheaper there, I use the Champion or Carrefour branded variety, I think it is made by Total, I checked the spec. and it exceeds Fiat's recommendation. I get my filters from Halfords.

Phil

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
In my 2006 2.3 I use a fully synthetic oil - bloody engine uses 6 litres. Why? Because I get it at trade prices and it cost less than semi from Halfrauds.

S

stagman

Deleted User
[I use semi-synthetic in my 3.2 Shogun this uses around 9 ltrs and in my 2.8 Ducato around 5ltrs ,my wifes ZR another 5ltrs and my sons Saxo another 5ltrs .I change the oil on all these once a year no matter what the milage .I purchase all at one time from a motor factors and ask for trade discount prices the oil comes out to me at around £9 per 5 ltr,so it just shows what some of these dealers are making.:whatthe:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Oil

Just had my Fiat 2.8 service and cambelt replaced. Not cheap but piece of mind as I do France Spain and Portugal in Spring and usually a few months on the continent later in the year and manage to clock up a good few miles. My local village garage always provides me with a litre of oil to cover any top up needed. Haven't had to use it to date but it's there if needed. Perhaps you should ask your garage for a litre Won't cost them too much and its good will. :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back