1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Which Motorhome

Discussion in 'INTRODUCE YOURSELF' started by Brig10r, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Brig10r

Brig10r

Hi all, just joined the 'club' as i've recently taken early retirement and I want to get into the world of Motorhomes. Thing is, which one should I go for ?? To be honest the main consideration for me is hopefully to get one that can take my Sportsbike (ZX10R) which weighs about 200kg. I'd prefer to put it in a garage rather than tow it along behind. Where do I start :)

2. greyman1

greyman1 Funster

hi brig10r i think the first place to start will be check that your licence allows you to drive over 3.5ton (health reasons etc). because that sort of weight coupled with the overhang on the rear axle would be massive . i think you will need to be looking at tag axle vehicles at least . this forum is full of people who have weight and payload issues with 80 kg scooters let alone 200 kg superbikes (got a firebade myself)! there is always the option to go down the self build route as well because the door openings on most motorhome garages are not usually the widest in the world.so if you are determined to carry your bike internally then you could design the ramp and door to suit the kwacker!! good luck and welcome garry

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. ScotJimland

ScotJimland Funster

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

PM forestboy, he has a Versys in his garage. But a big tag axle MH.

Only the biggest can stand 200K on the back because of the leverage from back to back axle. 200K can mean 300K extra on the back axle and that's most of your load capacity.

Plan B, cheap Chinese 125 at 100kg. That's much more doable.

5. DANnALI

DANnALI

ever thought about a bike trailor no need to worry about weights if u get the right trailor a box then more storage space just an idea to think of

6. f6c

f6c Funster

welcome

Welcome aboard:Wink:

7. Brig10r

Brig10r

Thanks

Thanks for all the very useful replies. I'm sure one or two were maybe thinking, 200kg ! is he mad ? Well yeh maybe I am but nothing wrong with asking the question :) Obviously there are options out there and I'll keep looking .... to be fair the race conversions on E-Bay look good but I don't think the other half would go for that .... she's accommodating but that might be just pushing it a bit far :BigGrin:
    I haven't ruled out the option of a different type of bike. i've currently got the ZX10R and a Triumph Tiger so i'm not worried about riding something different.
    Anyway, I've obviously come to the right place for advice and information so I made the right choice there. Thanks for all the welcomes and please keep the replies coming :Smile:

8. Wildman

Wildman Funster

hi and welcome to the fun, a couple of points. Carrying a bike internally changes the vehicle from PHGV to an HGV for MOY, Insurance and Licence purposes. That could be very costly to do legally, and uninsured if done illegally. There are a number of towing options including the wheel assisted platform which can fold away when not in use, a box trailer, standard or transverse trailer. All things depend on your licence and storage space. An RV for example will carry that bike on the back without a problem but can you live with the low MPG.
    Do check out the rallies page and the chatroom, quiz night is Thursday at 8pm

9. sedge

sedge

If you find a van that ticks all the boxes and will carry a heavy bike (either a Bird or a Trophy, don't mind which) for God's sake let us know.

I tried a pushbike, honest I did, we got a pair of folders specially. I'd not been on one for 50 years but I really was forced to come to same conclusion I did when I was 9. I had to admit then I couldn't ride my bike properly and had to ride onto the grass verge, and drag my foot along a convenient and substantial fence, in order to stop. On that occasion I'd omitted to notice the telegraph pole halfway along the fence. Cunningly, the home owner had creosoted the fence in exactly the same hue as the PO.

I still can't ride a bike properly now.

10. Brig10r

Brig10r

Well .... I've got one

So i've gone and done it. Yesterday I purchased and brought home a Weinsberg Meteor 790MQ ..... it's a big one ! Just about fits on the drive. Now for the ritual trip to Wilkinsons for cleaning materials and other bits and bobs ... bedding, pots, pans no doubt and the rest !
    Oh well, I'm sure it'll be fun. Roll on summer :)
    Any info about this specific van or any general stuff a newbie might need (I've never owned one before, haven't a clue really) would be welcome

1 person likes this.
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster

Welcome on board :thumb:

I can make lifge easier for you.. I will give you £300 for the front forks and wheel off the ZX.. ( want 'em to fit on my Blackbird project ) That will make your bike much lighter and shorter !!:Wink::Rofl1:

12. hdvrod

hdvrod Funster