Free Member
Aug 18, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
two
After getting caught out several times by width and height restrictions , I am now considering purchasing an hgv satnav or possibly the hgv software for my tom tom 730. I would appreciate it if you could let me and other members know of your advice and experiences with these devices.

midlander9

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Dudley West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Five
Gps

Hi, I used to use the tomtom go300, but got caught out myself, have now purchased the Snooper Ventura 7000, which is a gps into which you can input the length, width, and height of your vehicle and it will steer you clear of these problems, it also has an inbuilt campsite database, and speed camera notifications, it has a 7 inch screen and updates to the system can be downloaded via a computer link for 29 pound a year, so never out of date, it also has a DVB TV function, Bluetooth function ,and other things included and comes with all cables and instructions, not cheap though at about 433 pounds, but with all its functions well worth the extra expence.

Mike

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I looked at the Ventura,amongst others,and was wondering if it is simply a 're-branded' version of their Trucker device ? Could it be possible that you would be directed on Truckers routes-rather than just being detoured round an area with a height restriction ?

I have been talking to Mio recently,and have been told that they have a team working on a Motor Home specific device which should take into account some M/Homers desires to travel on rural roads, whereas many Trucker specific devices simply use major roads more often than not.

Mike

Francuccio

Free Member
Jan 24, 2010
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Too long, since 1974
After getting caught out several times by width and height restrictions , I am now considering purchasing an hgv satnav or possibly the hgv software for my tom tom 730. I would appreciate it if you could let me and other members know of your advice and experiences with these devices.
Hi mate, i have a tom tom 910, and i think you cannot upload other devises on to or in it, you can only use the tom tom stuff, but you can download pois. from other sources to use with the unit, ie. i have height/narrow lanes warning on mine, wich i think will do the job, and it did last september re a low arc in provence, although we got trough no problem, but i was glad of the warning:Cool:

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Richard,

I bought the Tom Tom Truck 7000 which I have to say is an awesome bit of kit. You can put size and weight into it and it will route accordingly.

Only used it twice and allthough I have put it for sale on a couple of forums I have not got round to putting it for sale on eBay!

I now use an in dash Kenwood that allows the selection of various types of vehicle including a motorhome and it is very good.

If you are interested in the Tom Tom let me know. I made myself a promise at the weekend that I would put it and a load of other bits for sale on eBay! Just been too busy lately.

Best regards

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I have been talking to Mio recently,and have been told that they have a team working on a Motor Home specific device which should take into account some M/Homers desires to travel on rural roads, whereas many Trucker specific devices simply use major roads more often than not.

That would be worth a look at mike,think i'll keep my ears open for this one:thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

What did you all do before the sat nav was invented !!!
You used maps, the mark 1 eyeball and common sense !
Seemples !!! Just get out there and do it !!!...:thumb:

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005

Yes and we used to communicate by smoke signals and sign language. Walk everywhere. Live in caves.

Allow Children to be abused, Women to be second class citizens.

But progress is a great thing embrace it::bigsmile:

Regards

Chris

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

We also used to use horse and carts and throw Our s**T out of the window into the streets, are you suggesting that we go back to that also?

Doug...

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ive got a very basic Binetone Carrera. It has European maps on it and its kinda ok. It tried its best to get me lost in Spain but I kidded it cos I already knew the way.

I dearly wish I could justify the costs of buying the sorts of outfits that you guys have but SWMBO has put the blocks on it.

The thing that I dont like about the Binetone is that it wont take the POI updates that get put on here for TOM TOM'S etc, suppose the software is different. The other prolem is you cant programme a destination by using GPS co-ordinates.

I need to get badly lost to convince SWMBO

Jim
:roflmto:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I looked into some of the 'truck' satnavs & when you dig deep into them often the map coverage for the trucks in some parts of Europe isn't that good. I think there is still a way to go before we get good satnav mapping software. On main roads they are probably good but it's when you go down some of the smaller roads that the information can be unreliable & you should never trust 100% in the satnav.

I have a Tomtom & there are plenty of sites where you can download POI's for bridge heights & weight limits, you can then enable them with warnings if they are on your route. Again this information isn't foolproof & you should use your common sense.

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
I looked into some of the 'truck' satnavs & when you dig deep into them often the map coverage for the trucks in some parts of Europe isn't that good. I think there is still a way to go before we get good satnav mapping software. On main roads they are probably good but it's when you go down some of the smaller roads that the information can be unreliable & you should never trust 100% in the satnav.

I have a Tomtom & there are plenty of sites where you can download POI's for bridge heights & weight limits, you can then enable them with warnings if they are on your route. Again this information isn't foolproof & you should use your common sense.

Hi Ed,

I agree that you should never rely totally on a satnav, it is an aid, but nonetheless a very good aid.

In terms of the 'truck' versions I don't think anyone could deny that Tom Tom are the best in Sat Navs and the Tom Tom Truck 7000 is without doubt the bees knees. It does everything a Tom Tom does but with the added benefit of taking into account your vehicles size.

Best regards

Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back