Which mobile phone?

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by Dave and Ginny, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Hi all

My current contract with talktalk mobile is about to expire, thank goodness, so I'm in the process of trying to find the best deal. Ideally, I was thinking that I would be best to buy upfront an unlocked phone and choose a the best network on a SIM only contract, say with , who seem to offer a good roaming deal in France a least where we tend to travel a fair bit.

For further afield, such as Spain, I thought that having the un-locked phone was an advantage as I could then buy my SIM card locally as many on here do from what I've been reading in the past.

My needs are straightforward, don't download loads of music films etc, about 300 mins talk time is ample, not into loads of texting, just the occasional. I would however like at least 1GB a month allowance, more is desirable as would be 4g.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Cheers Dave

2. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

I have a sim only with three and it has worked well in France and Austria. They are doing the new Nokia 735 for about £50 cheaper than anyone else £149.99 but only in black.
    I pay £7 a month for 500mb data unlimited texts and a modest 200 mins call package but you can get 2gb data for £10 It also includes 4G which the Nokia has for areas where it is available.
    http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

When I wanted an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4 I found it was cheaper to buy one from Three than from the likes of Carphone Warehouse. All devices that Three sell are unlocked nowadays.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Really, hmmmmm, cogs turning now for December change.

5. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Cheers Graham, I've been looking about now for about a month and I always seem to end up looking at '3' as seeming to have the best deals!

6. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Same boat really, been sim only with T mobile for donkeys years. It would seem that EE have the best coverage in this country although it's looking that EE payg is the best option for light users if you don't want a contract £7.50 for 500 of everything, a bit more if you want more. If you take a 12 month contact you get a better deal but contacts are only ever worth it if you use your allowance.

3's feel at home package looks ok and there are lots of good reports about it, only covers certain countries though.

Would love a definitive answer myself as am just about to get a new deal, will probably get 1 year contract with EE, unlimited texts and minutes and 2gb data for 9.99

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Good advice. I switched from a 3 contract to PAYG back in March because I used nowhere near my allowance.
    The 3-2-1 deal is very good but the fact that I can make free calls using Skype when connected to a WiFi network (like at home) means it is even better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Where can one get this deal? I can't seem to find it any where?

• Like Like x 1
  9. golly

golly Funster

I bought a sim free Moto G from Amazon, it is a twin sim so should I wish to use it abroad, I could put whatever is the best deal at the time. Easy to tether, uses a micro sim, works for me

• Like Like x 2
  10. Terry

Terry Funster

3 SIM ONLY unlimited data 1200 min any network calls 5,000 mins 3 to 3 calls and a shed loads of texts for £20 a mth or for £9.99 - 600 mins calls 5,000 3 to 3 and 5,000 texts with 1 gb data
    Also got a cubot P6 phone for £60 and a THL t6s QUAD core for £58 quid who cares if it get broken at that price ;) Both tether to my tablet
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

2GB is £15.99 £9.99 gets you 250mb

http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-tariffs/sim-only-plans

I have the 5gb plan but only pay £11pm for the first 6 months for my loyalty

12. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Dont forget that late next year roaming charges are being scrapped.

13. dabhand

It's a cashback deal here

• Like Like x 1
  14. keith

keith Funster

My vote is for '3', been with them for a few years so got a good deal - 5GB £8 pm in my MiFi. Use it instead of a land-line broadband as we have a good signal at home.

Decided this year to go it alone with a new Moto E (£89 from Tescos Direct, should have gone for the Moto G but I'm tight) and pay '3' £10 for 2GB 200 mins. unlimited texts.

The biggest advantage with '3' (If you travel a lot) is their 'at home' bit which hopefully will include Spain & Portugal soon.

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Payg with 3.

£10 top up is none expiring if you us it as credit rather than buying a bundle.

A £10 bundle gets you 500mb of data, 150 minutes cross network minutes and 3000 texts....expires after a month.

Using credit instead of buying a bundle costs 3p per min all calls (ex premium rate)
    2p per text and 1p per mb data.....never expires until used and a free 150mb with every top up.

3 also has 'at home'.....if registered you pay the same abroad (europe) as at home.

I mostly use wifi hotspots for internet so my mobile useage is very low and buying a bundle is very expensive for me.

16. dabhand

Sorry about this, but what does use it as credit mean?

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Just pay for calls (3p per minute), texts (2p each) and data (1p per MB) as you make/send/download them.

I do very much the same as John and it costs me hardly anything (except buying the phone of course).

• Like Like x 2
  18. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I would buy an iPhone direct from Apple store unlocked then you can't whatever sim in it and do what you like.

• Like Like x 2
  19. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Got a moto 4g from argos the motorola phones all get good reviews as ones you can buy rather than have on a contract and use a 3 payg sim. Only just started using it but as I have no friends I only use 15 mins a month 5 texts and a bit of internet so should be £3 a month or less .
    David

• Like Like x 2
  20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

As Graham said.

Apply credit then use as needed.
    it doesnt expire on the 3 network so could last a long time if you are a low user.

This was how payg worked on all networks a few years back....no such thing as a 'bundle' back then, it was either contract or payg.

A £10 3 bundle expires whether its used or not.

Not sure if other networks do the same.

I had a none expiring voda data sim....apply credit and it lasted until used up....then voda changed the goalposts and you HAVE to buy a bundle which does expire after one month, used or not.

• Like Like x 1