Which Mid Pyrenees pass to Spain? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Which is the easiest mid-Pyrenees pass into Spain? The Pau N134/N330, the Bagneres-de-Luchon N125/N230, or the Andorra one. Pau or Tarbes would be nearer to our departure point. Summer-autumn time by the way (a few weeks time)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We drive up from Lourdes and was very nice :)

Andorra is the worst place I've ever been.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We drive up from Lourdes and was very nice :)

Andorra is the worst place I've ever been.
I've been up in that area (Lourdes) many times, even gone across into Spain, but always turned back (not because of the route, just cos we were returning back to France). Just wondered what the rest of the Spanish crossing is like, and how it compares to the others for ease, ie, not too narrow, not too steep. I did the Andorra many years ago in a car, as you say, it was not good. The one I don't recall is the Bagneres one. Plus the French and particularly the Spanish have spent so much EU money on roads recently, things can change.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The tunnel! Anything to avoid the main road to the north. If needs be spend four hours crossing Andorra (horrid road), The south coast road which has rogues and evil doers just waiting to get hold of your money. Another choice would be cart tracks.... anything but the main coast road to the north. My personal favourite goes from Pamploma and goes to St-Jean-Pied-de-Porte in France.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we came over in October via Portalet, the pass nearest to Somport tunnel, no problems with weather, but French side a little twisty and much narrower road than the Spanish side. Driving north will not be so bad as you will be away from cliff face which hangs over road in a few places

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We used to go to spain in Oct and return end of March. Found best for us was Barritz to Pamploma route.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We used to go to spain in Oct and return end of March. Found best for us was Barritz to Pamploma route.
Sure, we did that this March (coming back from Spain). We will be staying just 1 hr inland of Pau at my son's place (it would make a superb aires) and just want to go across the mid section to Spain. Thanks to all!

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Pau - do you not like Somport ? Out for an adventure ?
My wife doesn't, the first time we went through it, just out for a drive, turned the corner and we were in it (having promised her we wouldn't go into it). A couple of racers overtook us, all screaming tyres, very bumpy road surface, she burst into tears. Having got through it, we stopped for a coffee, she refused to go back through. Did she realize how far the detour would be? Eventually persuaded her. She's a little more used to them nowadays!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
She's a little more used to them nowadays!

I must say some are certainly not pleasant, dark slimy places that look like they are about to collapse. Yet some are bright airy places.

She's not alone with phobias, I recall a few on here "does it involve high bridges, we can't do high bridges". One answer being "Millau is a lovely town, you'll enjoy it".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back