LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm still trying to sell my house in France, and as soon as I do I want to buy a motorhome.

It has to be small, not sure I can cope with anything large. Will be just for me and 2 dogs.

Any recommendations for MHs to look for? Anything to avoid?

Many thanks.
Great forum, btw.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
What are you thinking when you mean small?

Is it something like a VW camoer size, van conversion size, or small Euro style?

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I'm still trying to sell my house in France, and as soon as I do I want to buy a motorhome.

It has to be small, not sure I can cope with anything large. Will be just for me and 2 dogs.

Any recommendations for MHs to look for? Anything to avoid?

Many thanks.
Great forum, btw.

Go along to a few dealers and have a look at what is on offer.

Have a look through e-bay, you will get lots of good interior pictures which can give you ideas as to what would suit you. Think about how much time you will spend in the van.

Draw up a list of what you like, style, size, layout, cab for driveability and so on.
Think about things like fuel consumption, water and waste capacities, storage lockers.
Do you want a garage, a fixed bed, large fridge freezer. There are really so many options.
Perhaps you want floor space for the dogs (are they big or small). Think about how you will secure the dogs when you are driving and so on.
Then write another list, this time with what you need.

That can be quite different. After a while you will begin to get an idea.Once you have a shortlist consider hiring a van similar to your list. It's amazing how quickly a few days away makes you realise what you do need and what you don't want.

Looking is great fun, as is the hunt for "that van", the one you really want...

Just take your time and enjoy. Hope your home sells so you can realise the dream...
Callum:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Go along to a few dealers and have a look at what is on offer.

Have a look through e-bay, you will get lots of good interior pictures which can give you ideas as to what would suit you. Think about how much time you will spend in the van.

Draw up a list of what you like, style, size, layout, cab for driveability and so on.
Think about things like fuel consumption, water and waste capacities, storage lockers.
Do you want a garage, a fixed bed, large fridge freezer. There are really so many options.
Perhaps you want floor space for the dogs (are they big or small). Think about how you will secure the dogs when you are driving and so on.
Then write another list, this time with what you need.

That can be quite different. After a while you will begin to get an idea.Once you have a shortlist consider hiring a van similar to your list. It's amazing how quickly a few days away makes you realise what you do need and what you don't want.

Looking is great fun, as is the hunt for "that van", the one you really want...

Just take your time and enjoy. Hope your home sells so you can realise the dream...
Callum:thumb::thumb:

You beat me to it Callum..we have been advising some friends on the purchase of a motorhome..we too said all your points to which they said "Ooh didn't realise there was so much to buying one! to which we replied " Well you don't want to buy a lemon" and to which we would add..Buy the relevant magazines and have a good peruse through the classifieds!!

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Whatever you buy, make sure its not from the Swift group, they fall apart long before their time.

Doug...

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Whatever you buy, make sure its not from the Swift group, they fall apart long before their time.

Doug...

Not really fair, admittedly you've possibly had a bad experience, but my son has a Swift (don't know the model) on an '03 plate, and he has had no trouble with it at all.

I think we need to be a bit careful when criticising products on a public forum, without giving the manufacturer the opportunity to the right of reply.

Upvote 0

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I have a 1991 swift kontiki, which has blown a head gasket (can happen on any vehicle). I think its in pretty good condition considering its 20years old. Can't wait to get it back and be back on the road.

Upvote 0

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Do not worry about swift group as I have had a swift caravan and now have a swift m/h no problems and would buy another. Your main decision is what layout you want , how big you want to go and how much you want to pay, Others have said before me go to dealers look at layouts and decide what suits you in size and layout but do not forget where you are going to park your new m/h If you plan to keep it at home will it fit on your drive and can you get out of your street to a main road .

All the best
Rob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks for the parking on drive tip--in France it's easy to get used to almost unlimited parking space. & thanks also for all the other tips.
Started off looking at Bedford Bambi, but just online, and suspect much smaller inside than they look on Ebay! Anyone any experience of these? Upside for me is they look easy to drive & cheap to run.
Another is a Ford Auto-Sleeper Flair Camper.

Few years ago there was some big expo in the showground in Perigeux and there were motorhomes so I might see if it's on again this year, or force someone to go and look round a dealer with me.

Selling a house in rural France not easy :-( but I live in hope!

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

If you want a small motor home have seen plenty of Romahomes used by single people. They do a few different models some that lower the roof for driving called HI-LO's might be worth a look. These are very car like to drive as based on small Citroen van.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
I have a 1991 swift kontiki, which has blown a head gasket (can happen on any vehicle). I think its in pretty good condition considering its 20years old. Can't wait to get it back and be back on the road.

Yes; But the post 2000 products are a different kettle of fish.

Doug...

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Whatever you buy, [HI]make sure its not from the Swift group, they fall apart long before their time.
[/HI]
Doug...

Doug, you do not have experience of all Swift Motorhomes, so how can you make such a statement? As it happens, the two I have owned were superb, that fact alone makes your statement libelous.

The statement is not only untrue it is malicious and against the rules of this forum. We've been here before. If you want to slander a company, please do so on your own website, I do not want to find myself in court because you cannot follow simple instructions:Doh:

Quote from the rules
Posting defamatory comments on this forum

Motorhomefun is not the place to post defamatory posts about any person or company no matter how you might feel justified in doing so. This is a forum to discuss the Fun aspect of motorhomes and not a place to rubbish others or assist campaigns against companies or individuals.

Please remember that the UK has strict libel laws covering the publication of statements that damage the reputation of an individual or company. The writer, the website owner and the ISP can be sued as they are deemed to be ‘publishers’ So please think carefully before posting any potentially derogatory comments on-line. The law is clear; if your target is identifiable and what you have written exposes them to "hatred, ridicule or contempt", hurts their reputation or causes them to be "shunned or avoided", you could end up in a civil court defending an expensive libel claim. It would be up to you to prove your comments are true, and if you are not successful you could pay out a lot of money in damages to compensate the claimant.

Almost uniquely in English law, in libel cases the burden of proof lies with the author /publisher and not the complainant. In other words, you have to prove that what you write is true. The person you’ve targeted does not have to prove that you’re wrong.

Upvote 0

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
Also bare in mind if you want or need the van to be winterised and fit for purpose during the cold months,if so then you would be best looking at the german market as they appear to be the best.

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Doug, you do not have experience of all Swift Motorhomes, so how can you make such a statement? As it happens, the two I have owned were superb, that fact alone makes your statement libelous.

The statement is not only untrue it is malicious and against the rules of this forum. We've been here before. If you want to slander a company, please do so on your own website, I do not want to find myself in court because you cannot follow simple instructions:Doh:

Quote from the rules

I agree Jim, I did not spend enough time over the wording. Sorry.

Doug...

Attachments

• 100_2781.jpg
    100_2781.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Hollyberry,you need to get out and look at some :thumb: Layout to suit your needs is the single most important thing,try making the bed up etc :thumb:lounging comfortably :thumb: Whatever you buy make sure you can afford to run it and enjoy it :ROFLMAO::winky::thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back