Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years with a campervan; saw the light, now mortorhome newbie
So, our present leisure battery takes about an hour to charge up from zero to 75%, and about the same to run down to nothing. We also have the 'Defect' signal on our control panel by the battery icon, so we're pretty sure it's had its chips, and we're in the market for a new one. The mechanic will fit it for us, but is there a brand we should be asking for and any brand we should be avoiding?

Tips and hints appreciated, thanks!

Heather

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
battery choice can be controversial. some advocate spending loads on a banner traction battery as they are reliable. however I advocate the middle of the road pricewise but with a good 4 year warranty.

alphaline as sold by battery megastore are the best value for money currently £65.50 delivered next day for a 110ah with 4 year warranty. i use them myself and they do an excellent job
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
In Australia I reckon the usage of battery types in motorhomes would be something like the following percentages....
Wet cell lead acid (sealed or open) = 15%
Gel (sealed lead acid) = 5%
AGM (Valve regulated sealed lead acid) = 75%
Lithium = 5% (and growing)

We use AGM (Fullriver DC series) and typically get 5 years (almost full time).

The other big benefit of AGM compared with wet cell lead acid is the low self discharge meaning that they can be left disconnected for long periods without going flat.
I find some of the information in the link provided in an earlier post quite misleading.

In the future we will change to Lithium.

Cheers,
Peter

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back