Which leisure battery to go for? (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
My MH is coming up for 8 years old and I'm assuming the leisure battery is still the original which means it must be coming to the end of its life.
It's a Electric Heart ME59514P 12 volt 105 AH, I can't find anything on line about them. All I get when doing a google search is stuff about batteries for pace makers etc.

On a recent trip to Cologne in heavy cloud and -7C temperatures without a EHU on the second day the battery was well down and couldn't power the heater blower, Lights worked but were dim.
I have a solar panel but it was covered in thick ice. Once the sun came out the solar panel charged the battery up and the heater blower was going most of the day.
I'm thinking I could probably get a bit more out of the battery as the cold frost seems to be behind us.
I'm trying to get some thoughts together as which make of battery to go for. A trip to our local MH dealer left my head spinning as the prices seem very expensive compared to on-line prices. ( almost double)
Is there any particular make of battery which is better to go for. I have seen a Bosch one which appears to be good value. http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/105-ah-bosch-leisure-battery-l4033/
Can anyone suggest something better?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
After much reading etc.... I bought two of these.... and ... cos they fitted in locker

LFD90 Varta Professional DC Leisure Battery 90Ah

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Got 2 explora batteries from them, great batteries, good value. Do a bit of looking and realise you dont need to worry too much what brand you get its how well you look after them, although I have been told Banner are to be avoided. Remember the 50% rule... because of discharge, you might have a 100ah rated battery, but you can only expect 50ah from it. So go big, and get more than one!

Oh yeah the MH dealers will rip you off, alpha delivery was free and packed well. If you can deffo get 2 or more for the same price as a MH dealer! and keep an eye on your voltages.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
After much reading etc.... I bought two of these.... and ... cos they fitted in locker

LFD90 Varta Professional DC Leisure Battery 90Ah

I haven't used Varta leisure batteries before but I have had very good experiences with them for my various vehicles. They are a make on my list which is very small. I only have room for one battery in the locker. I don't think I want to bother rigging up a second battery somewhere, plus just the one battery has worked for us so far. The solar panel seems very effective in charging the battery during the day. When its not covered in a thick frost and ice.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Have a look at the NCC leisure battery verification scheme.

Thanks for the above link. Well worth the read. As I will only run with one battery and a solar panel I think I will be going for an AGM type of battery. The Gel ones are rather expensive and I think I read somewhere that you may have to change the charge settings.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Check first that your on-board charger has a suitable program setting for AGM batteries. Generally, they need a higher voltage and charging current than standard sealed lead-acid or gel.

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
LED acid battery choice will be the Duracell DL100 Leisure battery 100ah or the Duracell DL115 115AH Leisure battery. both good batteries with lasting performance.
AGM batteries are yes a great choice if you have the required height in space in the battery compartment being they are normally slightly higher than LED acid batteries..

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the above link. Well worth the read. As I will only run with one battery and a solar panel I think I will be going for an AGM type of battery. The Gel ones are rather expensive and I think I read somewhere that you may have to change the charge settings.

The likelihood is that your charger will be OK for an AGM battery as the charging regime is almost identical to that for lead acid. I would agree that if your only going to have one battery make it an AGM as these perform better than Lead Acid and dependant on your usage and output from the solar panel select a Class A or class B. Later you can make an informed decision about the need for more S.P. and /or a second leisure battery.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No don't do it AMG are not suitable Leisure use, they are designed for stop start cars and if your charger does not have a specific AGM setting you can say goodbye to them after a not much more than a year.
Tanya do very good prices on Exide & Sonnenschein Gel's (Sonnenschein made the Exide Gel's) do make sure your charger is suitable.

The likelihood is that your charger will be OK for an AGM battery as the charging regime is almost identical to that for lead acidLater you can
Not true, AMG's require a higher voltage, most Motorhome chargers output 14.2 - 14.4 v an AGM rrequires 14.8v to fully charge otherwise life will be drastically reduced.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
The likelihood is that your charger will be OK for an AGM battery as the charging regime is almost identical to that for lead acid. I would agree that if your only going to have one battery make it an AGM as these perform better than Lead Acid and dependant on your usage and output from the solar panel select a Class A or class B. Later you can make an informed decision about the need for more S.P. and /or a second leisure battery.

I read that if the batteries are under the seat in cab, and no specific AGM setting, reccommended setting is Gel.
Is that correct?
Cheers

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I read that if the batteries are under the seat in cab, and no specific AGM setting, reccommended setting is Gel.
Is that correct?
Cheers

I had AGM Banner batteries set to Gel but they only lasted a couple of years. Replaced them with Varta leisure batteries and so far they have performed well.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Is that correct?
Cheers
Not Quite ! You need to establish the type of batteries under your seat! They could be lead acid with a breather tube going externally! They may also be AGM or GEL. You should be able to find out by looking at the batteries itself. You also need to ensure your charger is set correctly for the batteries you have installed. (Should be in the manual about how to adjust settings if this feature is available). Before buying a different type of battery make sure your charger is capable of charging it.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
No don't do it AMG are not suitable Leisure use, they are designed for stop start cars and if your charger does not have a specific AGM setting you can say goodbye to them after a not much more than a year.
Tanya do very good prices on Exide & Sonnenschein Gel's (Sonnenschein made the Exide Gel's) do make sure your charger is suitable.

Not true, AMG's require a higher voltage, most Motorhome chargers output 14.2 - 14.4 v an AGM rrequires 14.8v to fully charge otherwise life will be drastically reduced.

Copied from the 3 stage intelligent charger manual of my motorhome.
During stage 1 the battery voltage is increased gradually while the current is limited to start the charging process and protect the battery. At stage 2 the voltage rises to 14.4V (Vboost) to deliver the bulk charge to the battery. When the battery is charged, the voltage is decreased at stage 3 to 13.6V (Vflt) to deliver a float charge to maintain the battery in the fully charged state. The charger can be left switched on continuously as required. The battery charger / power converter can also provide power to the leisure equipment when the mains supply is connected. This module supplies DC to the leisure equipment up to a maximum of 25 Amps (300 Watts), therefore the available power is distributed between the leisure load and the battery, under these conditions the charge indicator will show Red.
Charger Operation
Safety Please observe the warnings on the charger label, which are also shown below for reference. Under heavy loads the charger case may become hot. ALWAYS ensure the ventilation holes have a clear flow of air. Do not place combustible materials against / adjacent to the charger. The charger has an input voltage selection switch (concealed under a sticker) at the opposite end to the electrical connections. This switch should NEVER be changed from 230V unless the charger is to be used in the USA on 115V. Failure to observe this warning will cause irreparable damage to the charger, which is not covered by the warranty.
Charge Voltage
Charge Current
Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3
100%
Vboost Vflt
Constant Current
Constant Voltage
Charge Indicator Red Green
The charger is configured to work with standard lead acid leisure batteries, and in most cases is also compatible with the latest range of Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) batteries. Before fitting non-standard batteries please check that the charging profile described above is suitable for the type of battery by referring to the battery documentation or battery manufacturer. The recommended battery capacity is 85 to 220Ah.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
LED acid battery choice will be the Duracell DL100 Leisure battery 100ah or the Duracell DL115 115AH Leisure battery. both good batteries with lasting performance.
AGM batteries are yes a great choice if you have the required height in space in the battery compartment being they are normally slightly higher than LED acid batteries..

Aren't these re badged Banner batteries?

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Not Quite ! You need to establish the type of batteries under your seat! They could be lead acid with a breather tube going externally! They may also be AGM or GEL. You should be able to find out by looking at the batteries itself. You also need to ensure your charger is set correctly for the batteries you have installed. (Should be in the manual about how to adjust settings if this feature is available). Before buying a different type of battery make sure your charger is capable of charging it.

Sorry, Don't want to hijack thread!
I've got a Banner Running bull 95AH AGM battery, but the Schaudt_EBL_101C Electrobloc only has settings for Lead acid and Gel. Its under the seat and I think set to Gel charge.
Thanks

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
During stage 1 the battery voltage is increased gradually while the current is limited to start the charging process and protect the battery. At stage 2 the voltage rises to 14.4V (Vboost) to deliver the bulk charge to the battery. When the battery is charged, the voltage is decreased at stage 3 to 13.6V (Vflt) to deliver a float charge to maintain the battery in the fully charged state. The charger can be left switched on continuously as required. The battery charger / power converter can also provide power to the leisure equipment when the mains supply is connected. This module supplies DC to the leisure equipment up to a maximum of 25 Amps (300 Watts), therefore the available power is distributed between the leisure load and the battery, under these conditions the charge indicator will show Red.
Charger Operation
Safety Please observe the warnings on the charger label, which are also shown below for reference. Under heavy loads the charger case may become hot. ALWAYS ensure the ventilation holes have a clear flow of air. Do not place combustible materials against / adjacent to the charger. The charger has an input voltage selection switch (concealed under a sticker) at the opposite end to the electrical connections. This switch should NEVER be changed from 230V unless the charger is to be used in the USA on 115V. Failure to observe this warning will cause irreparable damage to the charger, which is not covered by the warranty.
Charge Voltage
Charge Current
Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3
100%
Vboost Vflt
Constant Current
Constant Voltage
Charge Indicator Red Green
The charger is configured to work with standard lead acid leisure batteries, and in most cases is also compatible with the latest range of Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) batteries. Before fitting non-standard batteries please check that the charging profile described above is suitable for the type of battery by referring to the battery documentation or battery manufacturer. The recommended battery capacity is 85 to 220Ah.
Which is very good info IF the person who asked has the same charger if not it could be totally incorrect

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I've got a Banner Running bull 95AH AGM battery, but the Schaudt_EBL_101C Electrobloc only has settings for Lead acid and Gel. Its under the seat and I think set to Gel charge.
Thanks
Shaudt electroblocs don't get on too well with Banner batteries especially AGM. That's why after quite a lot of reading I went for Varta batteries.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Varta LFD90s lead acid, my Shaudt electrobloc has no AGM setting so wouldn't use them.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Only the latest EBL 211 has an AGM charging program; all earlier versions have settings for lead-acid or gel only, so I would stick with Varta lead-acid such as the LFD90. I have two connected to an EBL 99 and the setup works well.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Which is very good info IF the person who asked has the same charger if not it could be totally incorrect
A lot of if's and but's LOL. Even if the person does not have the same charger he is likley to be Ok as most modern chargers that are set to charge a Lead Acid battery will also be suitable for AGM.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
A lot of if's and but's LOL. Even if the person does not have the same charger he is likley to be Ok as most modern chargers that are set to charge a Lead Acid battery will also be suitable for AGM.
See Jean lucs post to see how inaccurate this statement is.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Perhaps they should consult the battery designers before they make such statements as only charging to 14.4v is not sufficient for an AGM and will shorten it's life considerably.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Please do not keep saying that standard Lead Acid/Wet Cell chargers are suitable for AGM, THEY ARE NOT.
Thanks
Don't worry if you are lucky your Banners will last 18 months :D Sorry but I am being serious with that set up they will last about 18 months and Banner don't honor their warranties.
Schaudt & Banner certainly cocked it up when they both said the Gel setting was OK, if this was the case why have the latest EBL's have a AGM setting that takes the batteries to 14.8v.
You only have to look at the German forums to see the problems with AGM's mainly Banners, Varta also affected.

I replaced the AGM's in my van with Gel's, not taking the risk with AGM again swapping my Gel's to the new van.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
, after much deliberation I think I am going to go with a
12V 110AH LEOCH POWABLOC TUBULAR GEL LEISURE BATTERY (GTP-12110)

unless some is going to advise me differently.
My thinking is as I only intend on running with one battery I might as well go for the best I can afford.
The people at Alpha Batteries were very helpful

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
DO NOT raise your voice at me and do not tell me how to behave or what to say on this forum.
All I am asking is that you do not keep posting miss-information, there was no intention to raise my voice to you, I was just making my point clear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back