LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Thinking of hitting the Europe roads next year and I've been watching some youtube videos of people driving onto the ferries and eurotunnel.
On some of the videos there is very little indication which lane for Motorhome users to take.

My motorhome is aprox 28ft long and 10ft high and 7ft 7" wide some of the lanes only indicate cars and busses and the other lanes lorries, so which one do we take. The Autotrail I have is classed as a HGV do I go into the lorry lane or not?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No take bus lane they use the same train as you and it's very easy don't worry about it just take your time and if in doubt ask.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Don't panic. When you get there you will be told what lane numbers to use and directed to board..

As for disembarking, follow cars as if you go with HGV you may get tied up in customs and truck queues..... Just follow the crowd... (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I think you will find you need to stick to the cars an buses lane(y) and once you've gone through customs they will issue you a card with a lane number;) all pretty painless :)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I think you might be asking about which lane to take to get to the Eurotunnel check-in. Do not take the freight lanes, follow the cars/buses directions, then as others have said, you will be directed after check-in.

(If you're doing Eurotunnel from France, use check-in terminals to the right hand side as once you're beyond them, all motorhomes have to go through customs on the right hand booth, and getting across can be a pain!)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As they've all said DO NOT take the freight lanes.

In the passenger lanes you split into under 1.8m high and over height lanes but don't panic if you end up in the wrong one. There are crossovers before you get to the barriers

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just to add you are NOT A HGV...
Your V5 may state "Private HGV" that is only a taxation class... (y)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
This video will help if you are not sure where to go / what to do at the Folkestone tunnel terminal. If you are still confused after watching this, probably best to stay at home :)

Paul

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
@Easyliving Hi Paul thanks for that, I'd already watched that video, My main concern was the ferries DFDS was one video I watched and it did not seem to make it clear which lane large motorhomes should go in, hence my question. The Euro Tunnel was no problem, but all the helpful coments that were made were reassuring.
Also Tonka gave me helpful advice about the taxation class of my vehicle.
Best wishes Tony

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
@Easyliving Hi Paul thanks for that, I'd already watched that video, My main concern was the ferries DFDS was one video I watched and it did not seem to make it clear which lane large motorhomes should go in, hence my question. The Euro Tunnel was no problem, but all the helpful coments that were made were reassuring.
Also Tonka gave me helpful advice about the taxation class of my vehicle.
Best wishes Tony

DFDS ,as with the rest, if you are not freight , use the car and Bus lane. My friends 11ton motorhome goes as a 10 M MH through the car lane . They will park you with all the non freight , non car stuff in you own line, and you will go on the upper deck with coaches and lorries usually. Cars go up the rat runs at the side to the next deck

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Entering Dover port the first separation is for border control, and the two choices you should use is either coach or car. When using the coach lane when it was very busy once, we found ourselves stuck behind a coach getting the full treatment by the gendarmes. I vowed always to use the car lanes from then, we must have been 15 minutes while cars were mostly flowing through fairly quickly. After passing this it's fairly straightforward after the choice of ferrying operator signs but for one thing, we found the gantry lane signing confusing when we went with P&O this year after passing the book in booth, and only just picked up the right boarding queue lane sign, something we never noticed with DFDS.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I really don't think you need to worry @Brakers / Tony. We last went on the ferry (Dover - Calais with P&O) in 2012 and I am getting a bit vague now about the procedure but I'm sure we had no problem.

You should bear in mind that hundreds of motorhomes use the ferry every week and they all manage it so there is no need to be concerned, just follow everyone else.

We are thinking about trying the Newhaven - Dieppe route for next years trip, apparently there is a good discount if you are over 60 and book on the phone.

Paul

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
really don't think you need to worry @Brakers / Tony. We last went on the ferry (Dover - Calais with P&O) in 2012 and I am getting a bit vague now about the procedure but I'm sure we had no problem.
Hi Easyliving You're probably right but it doesn't hurt to do a little reasearch and ask your friends a few questions just to clear up any uncertainties you might have, I've traveled by Euro tunnel and the ferries before but only with a car and watching the videos just raised a few questions so that is the reason for this thread. My motto is if unsure ask, as the only stupid question is the one which is not asked.
Thanks for all your input it's been very helpful.
Best wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
We are thinking about trying the Newhaven - Dieppe route for next years trip, apparently there is a good discount if you are over 60 and book on the phone.
Is that with DFDS or do other ferry companies sail from there?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
This ??
That ????

REALLY.... You have to pick up on my grammer.... :whistle:
Think there is a rule about that somewhere but I cant be ARSED... (y);)

No .. as in ' I agree with this'

I am not a grammar pedenat :sneaky:

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Is that with DFDS or do other ferry companies sail from there?

As far as I know its only DFDS, I have emailed to ask about the supposed over 60 discount. I'll let you know what they say....

Paul

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Only DFDS Dieppe/Newhaven. You have to either book by phone (0800 917 1201) or at the port to get the over 60s 20% discount. In all the years we've used that crossing I've yet to have to ask for the discount - each time the young lady asks 'Are you 60 or over?'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back