which is the best ????

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by aba, Apr 26, 2012.

1. aba

aba

hi guys i know this has probably been asked before but been looking for an outdoor cooking solution for the van for the 2 days of summer we are likely to get this year.

so in short whats best Cobb or Cadac or something else???

i know there are pro's and con's with both but which suits 90% of the requirements???

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Cadac.

3. stagman

stagman Deleted User

I use Cadac Safari , brilliant piece of kit for around £50 :thumb:

4. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I don't get on with my Cadac. Don't know why.

5. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

So do we - great for all sorts of dishes. Packs up quite small and light.

6. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

i used a cadac, as do both my sons-in-law

7. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I hate cadacs, if you use anything other than the paella pan the thought of cleaning the bloody thing ruins the meal for me. They are big, heavy and bulky, the curved legs take up more room that a BBQ should. So most cadac owners end up buying the big non stick paella pan, its fantastic, and after the meal a wipe with a tissue while its still warm and its clean. So then, if you are only using the pan, then you don't need the Cadac, we now just use the pan and a simple £10 stove that uses the small fly spray size cylinders of gas. This exact setup x2 fed bacon rolls to 120 people the other week.

My advice don't fall under the Cadac spell, they are rubbish, the do a fair bit spontaneous combustion too, a few now, including us after cooking for a while have turned them off only to find the actual BBQ is alight. :Eeek:

• Like Like x 4
  9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Nail on the head for me there.

I have trouble lighting it, cleaning it, storing it and I am constantly checking to see if the flame is still in. Mine reeks of gas as well.

It's in my garage at home.

10. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I had the original Cadac Braii, just like a big shallow wok and I thought it was brilliant, I cooked alsorts on it, I then bought the Cadac all singing dancing Safari, I only ever use the wok part of this, as already stated it's just to much bother to clean. All the other bits stay at home in the garage now, waste of money really.

11. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

last year the paella pan was on sale at Aldi for £8 granted it wasnt a tefal but its a good one.
    I have a similar set up to the cadac (think its a royal traveller) and use the gridle pan (2 way thing smooth on one side ridged on the other) and the paella pan and occasionally the skottle dish

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  12. bungle.bear

bungle.bear Read Only Funster

I don't get this cadac thing,

For me a orignal Beauclaire (not the light weight one)http://www.beauclaire.co.uk/ is still best, built to last, does not burn the food, a large cooking area, I have had mine 9 years. I can't see a Cadac lasting that long

The new one now comes with a lid.

Anthony

13. CarolynandMike

CarolynandMike Read Only Funster

Hi Like anything else, Cadac has good and bad points. We bought the large Cadac when we started motorhoming 3 years ago. We have a gas point on our van into which the Cadac is plugged. We too only use the paella pan after someone pointed out how much easier it is for cleaning.

However, it is only this year I have found the Cadac has come into its own while we were at Marjal for a month. (Normally we tour all the time and the Cadac is rarely used - sometimes only because I feel I should make use of it.) While in Marjal, we were able to set the Cadac up permanently and because it was mainly sunny and warm enough to cook outside, used it quite a bit. I also did some cooking experiments which went well - Welsh cakes, ratatouille and omelettes. Also poached eggs in it. Used the pot stand once or twice too - e.g. moules mariniere for 2 in a small deep pot.

I have suggested to Mike that as there are only the two of us, we should perhaps have bought the smaller one so that it doesn't take up so much room. Think the large one might be a good replacement for our garden barbeque as well can put it away more easily.

Cleaning suggestion: yes, paper wipes the pan clean mostly but sometimes, if it gets really messy, I put water in, a squirt of washing up liquid and heat gently. It comes up fine and gets rid of any grease build up around the sides.

Lastly, yes, I agree it is rather tricky to regulate the heat intensity and things can burn but I was really impressed with the results of my ratatouille which I normally cook for a long time. This time it was ready in about 20 minutes and delicious.

Carolyn :BigGrin:

14. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Durrrrrr !!!!

A small charcoal barbecue for me, or, better still a fire on a beach with steaks or sausages on sticks !!!...:youbetcha:

15. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

I have a Cobb and a Cadac Safari Chef only use the Cadac now as it's less fuss, but the Cobb does cook a whole chicken to perfection.

16. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

We have the Webber Q100 (I think), the small one, it's great, convetional type bbq so pan required but only really good for onions, basics really, and potatoes in foil come out a treat, perfect for big chunks of meat:BigGrin:. However, cooking with the gang with thier variety of devices we couldn't help notice the simplicity of Bill's (landylover) solution, same as Jim, cheapy, but very good, gas stove with those disposable gas cans and a big pan, no idea what the one we bought is called but is big diameter, deep side and has a lid should we require, and simple it is:thumb:

Quick out, quick away and easy to clean. We still have the Webber on board, but for how long........Actually SWMBO wont hear of removel, just in case:BigGrin:

17. aba

aba

well thanks for the replies and going off the advise given and the fact that i am a tight wad
    it looks like it will be a paella pan and one of those little gas rings and if i feel the urge to cremate some burgers on charcoal then i will get one of those throw away BBQ's.