Which is the best fresh water tank hose?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Originalsmoothie, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Originalsmoothie

Originalsmoothie Funster

I currently live on a narrowboat. When I first moved afloat I tried a variety of hoses. The one I stuck with is a Hozelock Professional anti kink hose. I've had the same 30m hose on a reel for three or four years now. It's bomb proof, but it's quite bulky for our Hymer's garage. We'll be in the Hymer full time from October, so I want a hose which will stand a fair amount of abuse.

Which hose do you favour and why?

2. Our Bumble

Our Bumble Funster

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

An anti-kink one just like you have. We also had one on our NB.
    We have a reasonably short version of that now - cant remember where from but could be 10mts.
    You tend not to need a very long one as you can usually move the van nearer than a NB!

4. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

We now have a 30m food grade hose that we bought from Ebay and fitted onto a B&Q throughfeed reel. Kept in the Hymer garage with no problem. Only had it for a few outings, so only time will tell how robust it will be.

5. GWG

GWG Funster

Bought a flat hose on a reel. But never use it. Prefer a 10L watering can and a 10L collapsible water bottle.
    Wander to tap, chat to whoever around, fill, wander back. Empty, rest, repeat. No rush.
    One wander a day keeps us topped up, and gives me some exercise.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wanderingyp

wanderingyp Funster Life Member

7. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

I think it comes down to how much space you can afford. If you've got oodles of space, like a man shed garage, then a good old robust food grade hose of good quality on a reel.
    However, as our space is at a premium, I used a flat hose for around 8/9 years and only replaced it because I came across a motorhomer selling bits and bobs at Stenay and it was brand new at €5.00 (after haggling from €6.00). I also have one of those collapsible snakey type ones. 100' I think and fold up into a little container. That's only in emergencies though or as an extension.
    It's how much space you can afford.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ukdw

ukdw Funster

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

I use a Karcher compact hose HERE it's a smaller bore then normal so takes a little longer to fill up.

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Be warned that a cheap garden hose can impart a rubbery taste to your freshwater tank that will remain for a long time and taint every cup of tea. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

We started with a 'flat' hose but found that it kept splitting so it was 'abandoned' after about 12 months. We then went for a Hozelock Pico Reel, which is small bore and compact so fits easily in our MH storage. We find it mush easier to store than one of the regular garden hoses on a reel.

Our standby is a plastic watering can.

KH

13. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I keep a flat hose for emergencies but tend to top up daily with a couple of watering cans, easier :)

14. Newfie

Newfie Funster

• Like Like x 1
  15. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

I bought a flat section hose which is three narrow tubes side by side, had it 5 years and it's just started leaking where the hose joins the tap connector, will have a look at it later today to see if it's fixable. It's a bit slower to fill, especially if you're using those "timed delivery" bournes but a watering can's not much use then either.

16. Nik

Nik Funster

I've got one of the 20m blue flat hoses on a spool which is very neat and doesn't take up too much space. I've cut this into 2 x 10m segments for ease of use. Has been excellent but you have to ensure it is laid flat before winding back in so the water inside can drain and you have to have an open connector in the end as the ones fitted to mine have the auto shutoff connectors. I also have 2 x 75m X Hoses.
    Brilliant bits of kit. They pack into my small watering can for storage, with the appropriate connectors I have 170m of hose. Too much some will say but I'd rather have too much than not enough.
    Used the X Hoses joined together last weekend on a CL, worked well, and allowed a MoHo drive over them whilst in use and no damage was caused. (They did stop and ask if OK before driving forward).
    Water tastes fine, which we use for everything.
    regards
    Nik.

17. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

18. Blossom

Blossom Funster

I use a Brunner flat hose reel. Its food grade hose which is 3 small pipes side by it takes a little longer to fill bit it is worth it as it is compact and winds back onto the reel very easily. I have only had it for 3 months so cannot comment on its longevity.

Blossom

19. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

We have a Fiamma 30 litre water carrier and Whale pump as a back up for when the short whale hose connector won't reach the supply.

Also have the grey water one as well to empty grey into when you can't get near the drain

Really compact, decent capacity, on wheels and take up little room in the van lockers

20. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We've got food grade hose on a standard garden hose connected reel. I think it's about 25 or 30m but the reel means I don't have to unwind more than I need. I've got another length of hose with connectors in there somewhere just on the off chance we need longer but never used it.

We also have an Aquaroll with a Whale pump as a back up.