Which is the best boat Portsmouth spain (1 Viewer)

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Hi.
Been using tunnel then driving down to spain. thought we would try the boat Portsmouth spain for a change.
But which is the best boat to book.
Thanks

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The quickest we have found is Portsmouth to Santander around 24 hours give or take, i think hte bilbao route was a few hours more and for me i want to get off as soon as possible. I beleive they are both very expensive but give us more time to enjoy ourselves as i dont get a lot of time off as still in full time work so i need to get to where i am going as quickly as possible. I have done the france to spain route a few times now and much prefer it with regards to cost but not for wasted days just travelling to get to the warmer weather. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We were on the Pont Aven there and back and had a enjoyable time as it has everything you might need for a comfortable crossing ,not cheap but a good ship, Brittany Ferries

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
No difference to speak of - price the same - sailing time maybe one hour different

Pricey though! - leaving in May and returning in June expect to pay

On "regular" ferry (Pont Avon) with all the cruise like facilities for 2 adults, a MoHo of between 7 and 8 metres and a cabin circa £1200 return or on an "economie" ferry without the frills but still has bar & Restaurant then just short of £1000 return unless you have their club membership then you would save 30% on fares but not on cabin costs :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the pont aven plymouth to santander is my favourite . takes 20hrs . and you dont need a cabin , have to pay for a seat but quite a saving .
at santander its out the port and almost on the road to where ever you want to go.
mind i used to like the get off right in the town. caused a bit of fuss with many , but santander actually is nice .
not a lover of bilbao . far too busy .

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Were booked on the Economy ferry on 3rd October 2017 one way £195 for sailing and premium plus cabin £169 total £364 .We came back last month in the nice cabin and we now think its worth paying the extra . I do not think that,s expensive compared with a crossing to France plus fuel and campsites . We are club voyage associate members(£65) from this year which saves us 30% on the crossing fee

OP
OP

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Should of said we will be going end of October first week in November. was told Brittany ferrys had three boats.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
The Brittany Ferries "Cap Finisterre" is smaller than the Pont Avon but quite comfortable and very stable. However, it has the advantage of a dozen or so dog-friendly cabins where it can stay with you rather than have it caged, unaccompanied, below decks.

Watch which sailing you book. When we last went in 2015, one of the weekly sailing went via Brest, France, for a crew change and that put 12 hours on the normal 23-hour journey.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Pont Aven, Portsmouth to Santander gets my vote every time.

Fairly comfortable, decent ship, superb staff and a relaxing journey. My only negative is the silver service restaurant, which has varied from good to bloody awful, and not that cheap.

Dog Crap Finisterre is a decent enough ship, but a fair bit smaller. The dog friendly cabins are fine for pet owners although the carpets near them get a bit niffy, but food choice and "duty free" are quite limited.

All that tunnel nonsense is a dreadful start to the journey, the monotony of the long drive through France is wasted time, the rip off toll booths as you approach the Spanish border are enough to drive any sane man crazy and the wear and tear on both driver and vehicle are enough to put you off driving for a week.

Heaven... a bottle of fine Armagnac, a fully loaded kindle, a willing woman (no prospects of her escaping for 24 hours!), no fuel bills, no mobile phone signal
and cheap diesel on arrival

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Always book the Pont Aven as it's the biggest boat and Plymouth to Santander as it's the shortest crossing, sailing booked for 1 October.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The Brittany Ferries "Cap Finisterre" is smaller than the Pont Avon but quite comfortable and very stable. However, it has the advantage of a dozen or so dog-friendly cabins where it can stay with you rather than have it caged, unaccompanied, below decks.

Watch which sailing you book. When we last went in 2015, one of the weekly sailing went via Brest, France, for a crew change and that put 12 hours on the normal 23-hour journey.
Just to clarify that the kennels are not below decks but high up on something like deck 10 with access to a small area of outside deck, also 24 hour access so you can visit your dog at any time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back