Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Manual, Automatic, Comfortmatic?????

Thinking of buying a new van - Frankia i740 Plus @ 4.5 tonnes, 177hp, 2.3
Husband is convinced he wants a manual gear box, however I am a bit concerned that this may affect the resale value as I believe most people prefer automatic.

Can I have your opinions please.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Manual, Automatic, Comfortmatic?????

Thinking of buying a new van - Frankia i740 Plus @ 4.5 tonnes, 177hp, 2.3
Husband is convinced he wants a manual gear box, however I am a bit concerned that this may affect the resale value as I believe most people prefer automatic.

Can I have your opinions please.

I would think that there are plenty of people who prefer manual and plenty who prefer automatic so IMO resale value won't be affected.

Dave (who prefers automatics)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would say to Husband "try the comfortmatic" and if he doesn't like it go for manual and dont worry about it, when the time comes to sell it will be desirable to somebody else who doesn't want "Auto"

My choice between the current "automated comfortmatic/agile" and manual would be for a manual and I like auto's.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I believe many go for automatic because distances travelled in a motorhome can be considerable plus driving a manual big bus in heavy town traffic can be tedious. We had never had an automatic before our current van and Im sold on it, effortless driving especially with cruise control. We even changed our car to auto recently.

Regarding re-sale value, personally I don't believe there is any difference to the book price. Some would say a left hooker maybe a bit cheaper here compared to RHD but auto or manual not IMO.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I thought husbands were always right

Apart from me that is.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
My choice between the current "automated comfortmatic/agile" and manual would be for a manual and I like auto's....

That's my personal view too. I love automatic cars and on paper, the Comfortmatic was a definite option, until I took one for a test drive (n)

Suffice to say that my new van is coming with a manual gearbox.

Many users love them and wouldn't go back to manual gearboxes, but they are not for everyone, so my advice is to test drive one, for as long and far as possible (y)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I was always a 'manual' man, didn't much like autos.........................until I tried a Comformatic.
Wouldn't go back to a manual now.
Not sure about resale value but my gut feeling is that the auto might be more saleable as more people try autos and like them.

Richard.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
The prices when new are usually more for auto than manual but not certain this is reflected in the resale prices. I wouldn't therefore initially seek an auto box out - but of course if it was the must have vehicle and the only one - at the right price - then I'd consider it. Cruise control is a worthwhile option on manual gearboxes - but only of any great use if you are doing long mileage without needing to change gear eg motorways so you pays yer money and makes yer choice!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Having had manual motorhomes previously, without a test drive I opted for the Fiat Comfortmatic on our latest vehicle and immediately regretted the decision .... BUT after getting accustomed to the system over the next hundred miles or so I came to appreciate it and now would not go back to a manual box.

I'm now just so pleased I didn't have a test drive before buying because that would have probably only been a few miles and would have put me off Comfortmatic for ever!

I now find the Comfotmatic so relaxing to drive, particularly in stop go traffic, and have no problems with maneuvering at slow speed or putting on ramps.(y)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Bought our Laika from Portsmouth .. Nearly every new MH they had was an Automatic. The Fiat one is great especially round town. Long runs and it is in 6th gear anyway. Just one less thing to think about. First few miles can be good fun. Give yourself plenty of room at roundabouts as they insist on changing into 2nd as soon as you are moving.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
BUY THE AUTO... (y)

Because if you decide you dont like it I have been looking for one of these used at the right money ;)

:D

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
Have a look at all the Tesco,Waitrose ,Sainsbury ,and Able & Cole home delivery vans all being switched over to Iveco Automatics on the 3500Kg Chassis and the 7.2Kg Chassis better emissions and better fuel economy as the gear boxes are now computer controlled and change gear effortlessly all in line with the engine management systems.
I am not an expert in this field but that was how it was explained to me.
Ask yourself way all HGV's (may not be current terminology) powered in this way large Auto boxes linked to the engine management system.
I have an Auto and love it.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I don't mind,but,in todays traffic,stop start,thats when Auto/Manual boxes come into their own,don't know about Comformatic,but the Renault Auto even changes down on its own when descending a steep hill,result. In its manual mode,its just nudge the little lever forward or back to change gear...No clutch.
Tea Bag ex Gearjammer
Edit. When the revs get a bit high......... you are in Manual:whistle:(n)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Have a look at all the Tesco,Waitrose ,Sainsbury ,and Able & Cole home delivery vans all being switched over to Iveco Automatics on the 3500Kg Chassis and the 7.2Kg Chassis better emissions and better fuel economy as the gear boxes are now computer controlled and change gear effortlessly all in line with the engine management systems.
I am not an expert in this field but that was how it was explained to me.
Ask yourself way all HGV's (may not be current terminology) powered in this way large Auto boxes linked to the engine management system.
I have an Auto and love it.
The latest IVECO are a different beast all together in my view 8 speed torque converter auto, my previous comments were between robotised comfortmatic/Agile and manual.

Martin

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have prefered to drive manual for many years. have owned numerous auto vehicles though. last year i bought a new van for our use rather than to sell on and this one has the comfortmatic. First drive was as I always remember them, but having got more used to it, i actually like like it

manual mode for when you want it, but move the lever and full auto. now i am sold on the comfortmatic, much less stress on my bad leg and back.

as for resale value, within the first 2 or 3 years there is a difference. from then on both are equal in value. some folk will only drive manual and are prepared to even pay a premium for the rarity of the 3 litre. others will only drive manual. bottom line is a good van will always sell

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
More to go wrong with Comfortmatic.
I prefer manual vehicles for motorway use, once you're up to speed theres little gear changing. Better MPG on manuals.
The newer Ducatos the clutch is no heavier than on a car, I noticed it is way lighter on my X290 than on the old 2.8JTD Ducato.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The latest IVECO are a different beast all together in my view 8 speed torque converter auto, my previous comments were between robotised comfortmatic/Agile and manual.

Martin
Now an 8 speed proper auto is a totally different beast. I would have been tempted if they did it on the Globecar.

Reactions: f6c

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
There are pros and cons to each, as you would expect. We have one automatic and one 'easytronic' (same as comfortmatic, I believe) car, and the Moho is manual.

The manual gives best consumption, if you drive sensibly, but you do have to 'stir the pudding' and, when dealing with roundabouts and RHD roads, that may give you some anxious moments. Most of the time, we are in 5th or 6th gear, so it really doesn't matter what the gearbox is!

The comfortmatic is, I believe, just a set of electric actuators, sensors, etc., attached to a regular manual gearbox, so you get the running economy of a manual, but pay a little for the benefit. You also get more electronics to go wrong, but I have never experienced problems that way. The other downside is that the electronics sometimes seem to take an age to decide which gear to select! Maybe I'm just impatient!

The full automatic is smoother than manual or comfortmatic, because it's designed that way! It does impose a penalty for that smoothness in increased consumption. As an example of that, we used to have a fully automatic 1800 mpv, and that took two fuel stops to get from Calais to Geneva. It was replaced with an easytronic 1800 mpv, which does the same trip on one fill. Both were/are 45l tanks.

Given free choice, I believe we would opt for a comfortmatic. That doesn't mean that I am giving up my automatic car!!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
One other thing to consider is where you intend to tour the most.
If, like us, it is France then you definitely need an auto box.
France is the roundabout capital of the world, roundabout construction is a national addiction. Up and down gears every few hundred metres when you go round any town just wears you out.
In France the auto reigns every time. (y)(y):D

Richard.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To be extreme and rather daft....a manual box could reduce your purchaser numbers at future sale time.

Some folks dont have a licence to drive a manual.

See, told you it was extreme and daft!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back