Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Which gas bottles, if any, can you change abroad?
We had until recently 2 propane calor bottles
Which we know you can't change abroad.
We changed one to Gaslow refillable and now have an empty 6kg calor propane bottle, do we change this for a 4.5kg butane or a 907,again butane ?
Can we change either of these abroad?
We have the adaptor to go on a French bottle Which we have been told will fit either of the butane ones I just mentioned and we have the French and Euro adaptor for the Gaslow.
We would like to carry a back up bottle in case we can't find a lpg garage to fill the Gaslow.
We are travelling through France, Spain and Portugal.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Camping Gaz is the only brand I've seen across Europe. Not cheap but as an emergency standby probably worth it.

I have heard that some people have been able to get their Calor bottles refilled at some campsites with bulk tank facilities but I don't think there is any official network - just if you happen to be lucky enough to find such a Site.

Maybe a second Gaslow bottle?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why not do as many others do and simply buy a used bottle in Spain and an adaptor..
Change your propane for a butane with the correct pigtail, then when in Spain all you have to do is unscrew the butane clip on adaptor and replace with a Spanish "jumbo" adaptor....

I carry 1 x UK butane plus a Spanish bottle. Takes a few minutes to swop over the adaptors and you connect through your own on board bulkhead regulator..
Have a link to some pics, will try and find it for you..

try this
http://s447.photobucket.com/user/staffs1959/library/Apache 700 mods/Apache 700 gas locker

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Gas in France

I have just returned from France and managed to sort out my gas problem. I knew my 2 x 6kg Calor wouldn't last a month. (refill cost £22.39 each) My research revealed Intermarche did a 10kg bottle with 21.8 left hand thread which was the same as the Calor 4.5kg butane bottle.
So armed with a new pigtail, W20 for the regulator and 21.8 LH the other end ,I went straight to the Intermarche store on arrival in France. Yes, the pigtail fitted and the bottle was 10kg for €21.50 with a €1.00 charge for the bottle.
So good start to the holiday, 66.6% more gas for around £3.00 less and less than £1 to get a French bottle.
They have around 1400 stores and I even downloaded their stores to my sat-nav for easy location.
But it gets better, I decided to get a 2nd bottle on my way home (29th Aug) and the cost was now €19.90 + €1.00.
They are cream with either a blue or red seal.
So if you take a 21.8LH threaded pigtail it will fit their (Intermarche) bottles. Looking at other French bottles they also appeared to be the same but don't take that as fact.
I had a large Calor bottle with a clip-on adaptor and a 21.8LH outlet for back-up which now with 2 French bottles I won't need next time.
So I was well pleased as no gas worries and the solar panel ensured more leccy than I used. And McDonald's supplied my internet connection.

Have a good holiday, life's a gas..................

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
HI WHY NOT SIMPLY CARRY YOUR 6KG PROPANE FULL AND USE IT AS EMERGENCY IF YOUR GASLOW RUNS OUT UNTIL YOU CAN FILL THE gl AGAIN (bloody caps not typing again ):winky:::bigsmile:
TERRY

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back