Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Hi Funsters,
In planning my new MH I've turned my thoughts to fridges and noticed most people seem to use compressor fridges, now I've had a non compressor type (I think they are known as 'absorption' fridges) in my workshop for 12 years, it has worked perfectly all that time ('tho it is only used in the summer) and I'm wondering why the 'absorption' type isn't more widely used (or maybe it is)

Anyway guys and gals please feel free to give me your views and which you prefer and why. Surely the absorption type will use less electricity on 240v or 12v won't it ????

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Funsters,
In planning my new MH I've turned my thoughts to fridges and noticed most people seem to use compressor fridges, now I've had a non compressor type (I think they are known as 'absorption' fridges) in my workshop for 12 years, it has worked perfectly all that time ('tho it is only used in the summer) and I'm wondering why the 'absorption' type isn't more widely used (or maybe it is)

Anyway guys and gals please feel free to give me your views and which you prefer and why. Surely the absorption type will use less electricity on 240v or 12v won't it ????
the absorbtion fridge is the most widely used.
from what i understand from other posts a compressor fridge will use less juice in the long term as its only running intermitantly for a short time just like your fridge at home.....the absorbtion fridge will use less power but will be running all the time so cumulatively it will use more.

does that make sense...:Doh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
The compressor fridge uses less power and expels far less heat from the rear.

My compressor fridge does not need to have vents to the outside, all heat being lost internally - as with any normal domestic refrigerator - have you noticed much heat coming from one of them?

The pluses are less power absorption, can work whilst on board the ferry, works efficiently at all times, is thermostatically controlled at all times and has a bigger inside for the same outside measurements (working parts much smaller).

The minuses are a small amount of noise (a tinkling sound which we do not find intrusive but others might) and no back up power if battery becomes flat.

My motorhome now has two 110 Amp-hour batteries to cope better when away from electric hook ups.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Losos.

I have used both types in different motorhomes.

Compressor type. I had one of these in a van conversion and found it very good. All you have to make sure of is that you have enough battery power if you are camping without EHU. As djchapple says you do not need any vents for these so in that respect they are easier to install. They do make a slight noise when running, we never found it a problem, but i have spoken to some people who did find it annoying you can't please everybody. they do seem to be larger inside for the same outside dimensions.
another advantage once you have turned at the start of a trip, providing you have enough battery power you can forget them.

Absorbtion type the main advantage that I can see with this type is being able to run on gas also,so it does give you an advantage. I don't know if true but was once told by a refrigeration engineer that absorbtion types were more efficient, at temp. control.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Thanks guys, Mrs. Losos doesn't like the idea of gas in any form (I think I migh convice her the hob is OK 'cos she'll be able to see it's off, when it is if you get my meaning)

Also I don't think a small noise will worry us, so all in all it looks like the compressor type might be favorite, especially as it won't use so much power (Overall)

Did I get that all right ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks guys, Mrs. Losos doesn't like the idea of gas in any form (I think I migh convice her the hob is OK 'cos she'll be able to see it's off, when it is if you get my meaning)

Also I don't think a small noise will worry us, so all in all it looks like the compressor type might be favorite, especially as it won't use so much power (Overall)

Did I get that all right ::bigsmile:

yep!!! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The advantage of being able to run off gas if your battery is flat is lost with the newer auto power fridges. If your battery is flat it wont switch over so wont run on gas or 12v with rhe engine running. Thats progress I suppose:Eeek:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back