Which free anti virus do you use? (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Yes, I know that Macs are safer, but not totally safe. All the big AV companies employ Mac experts to write the software, because there are Mac viruses out there.
Yorrick, my post clearly states "Macs are not unhackable", perhaps you should go to specsavers! Having worked in the IT field for many years before retiring I'm fully aware of the threat thats why I moved to a macbook

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Yorrick, my post clearly states "Macs are not unhackable", perhaps you should go to specsavers! Having worked in the IT field for many years before retiring I'm fully aware of the threat thats why I moved to a macbook
I wasn't arguing. I was adding details to help others :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've had plenty of good advice from @ScotJim over the years and when it's backed up with some facts I take it on board but when self proclaimed experts merely state an opinion without facts and become abusive it renders their opinion less worthy. I assumed you had imbibed a little too heavily last night and you'd review your posts this morning but to give you your due you have remained abusive.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I was going to open a new thread, but here will do: Part 1

How does a computer get infected with a virus or spyware?
There are dozens of ways a computer can become infected with spyware, viruses, and other malware. Below is a list of methods of how your computer can become infected.

Accepting without reading
By far one of the most common ways a computer becomes infected is when a user accepts what they see on the screen without reading the prompt before proceeding. For instance:
  1. While browsing the Internet, an Internet advertisement or window appears that says your computer is infected or that a unique plug-in is required. Without fully understanding what it is you're getting, you accept the prompt.
  2. When installing or updating a program, you're prompted (often check boxes already checked) if it's okay to install additional programs that you may not want or are designed to monitor your usage of the program.
Downloading any infected software
When downloading any software (programs, utilities, games, updates, demos, etc.) via the Internet, make sure you're downloading the from a reliable source. Be sure to run your downloads through your antivirus and spyware scanners upon completion. As stated in a previous section, during the installation process, read all prompts about what the program is putting on your computer.

Opening e-mail attachments
Computers can become infected when users open email attachments that contain malicious code. Even if the message is from a co-worker, friend, or family member, always use caution before opening a link or downloading an attachment. As a general rule, do not open e-mail you were not expecting to receive.

Inserting or connecting an infected disk, disc, or drive
Any disk /disc or USB/Thumb drive connected or inserted into your computer can be infected with a virus. As long as something is writable a virus can move from a computer to that disk, disc, or drive. A common tactic for malicious hackers to gain access to a network is to leave a thumb drive laying around and when puts drive into their computer it is infected with a virus or trojan horse.

Note: This same rule applies to any networked drive or computer. If another computer has write access to your computer or a drive accessible by your computer a virus can move between computers on a network.

Not running the latest updates
Many of the updates, especially those associated with Microsoft Windows, are security oriented. Always keep your operating system and programs up to date. The plug-ins associated with your browser can also contain security vulnerabilities. To make sure you have the latest versions, run the Computer tools for checking installed plug-ins and their versions.

Pirating software, music, or movies

If you or someone on your computer is participating in a bit torrent program or some other unlawful exchange of copyrighted music, movies, or software, you may be at risk. Sometimes these files and programs contain viruses, spyware or malicious software in addition to what you believe you are downloading.

No antivirus spyware scanner
If you're running a computer with Microsoft Windows, it is highly recommended you have some form of antivirus and spyware protection. This software removes existing (if any) viruses and helps prevent future infections.

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Sorry, but the word 'ignorant' is not an insult. What I said was true, but maybe a bit blunt.

Nice information is......well good to take on board.

Blunt is...........well sometimes only acceptable to the person being blunt.
I would point out that the above is how I read posts! Other flavours are available. :)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I was going to open a new thread, but here will do: Part 2

What is a Trojan Virus? - Definition
A Trojan horse or Trojan is a type of malware that is often disguised as legitimate software. Trojans can be employed by cyber-thieves and hackers trying to gain access to users' systems. Users are typically tricked by some form of social engineering into loading and executing Trojans on their systems. Once activated, Trojans can enable cyber-criminals to spy on you, steal your sensitive data, and gain backdoor access to your system.

These actions can include:

• Deleting data
  • Blocking data
  • Modifying data
  • Copying data
  • Disrupting the performance of computers or computer networks
Unlike computer viruses and worms, Trojans are not able to self-replicate.

How Trojans can impact you
Trojans are classified according to the type of actions that they can perform on your computer:

• Backdoor
    A backdoor Trojan gives malicious users remote control over the infected computer. They enable the author to do anything they wish on the infected computer – including sending, receiving, launching, and deleting files, displaying data, and rebooting the computer. Backdoor Trojans are often used to unite a group of victim computers to form a botnet or zombie network that can be used for criminal purposes.
  • Exploit
    Exploits are programs that contain data or code that takes advantage of a vulnerability within application software that’s running on your computer.
  • Rootkit
    Rootkits are designed to conceal certain objects or activities in your system. Often their main purpose is to prevent malicious programs being detected – in order to extend the period in which programs can run on an infected computer.
  • Trojan-Banker
    Trojan-Banker programs are designed to steal your account data for online banking systems, e-payment systems, and credit or debit cards.
  • Trojan-DDoS
    These programs conduct DoS (Denial of Service) attacks against a targeted web address. By sending multiple requests – from your computer and several other infected computers – the attack can overwhelm the target address… leading to a denial of service.
  • Trojan-Downloader
    Trojan-Downloaders can download and install new versions of malicious programs onto your computer – including Trojans and adware.
  • Trojan-Dropper
    These programs are used by hackers in order to install Trojans and / or viruses – or to prevent the detection of malicious programs. Not all antivirus programs are capable of scanning all of the components inside this type of Trojan.
  • Trojan-FakeAV
    Trojan-FakeAV programs simulate the activity of antivirus software. They are designed to extort money from you – in return for the detection and removal of threats… even though the threats that they report are actually non-existent.
  • Trojan-GameThief
    This type of program steals user account information from online gamers.
  • Trojan-IM
    Trojan-IM programs steal your logins and passwords for instant messaging programs – such as ICQ, MSN Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Pager, Skype, and many more.
  • Trojan-Ransom
    This type of Trojan can modify data on your computer – so that your computer doesn’t run correctly or you can no longer use specific data. The criminal will only restore your computer’s performance or unblock your data, after you have paid them the ransom money that they demand.
  • Trojan-SMS
    These programs can cost you money – by sending text messages from your mobile device to premium rate phone numbers.
  • Trojan-Spy
    Trojan-Spy programs can spy on how you’re using your computer – for example, by tracking the data you enter via your keyboard, taking screen shots, or getting a list of running applications.
  • Trojan-Mailfinder
    These programs can harvest email addresses from your computer.
  • Other types of Trojans include:
    • Trojan-ArcBomb
    • Trojan-Clicker
    • Trojan-Notifier
    • Trojan-Proxy
    • Trojan-PSW
There you go some reading to understand the problem.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
The biggest problem for 99% of computers owners is that they do not read the small print and just press the go button................. (return button)
When installing any software on your computer, make sure you carefully read all disclosures, including the license agreement and privacy statement.
Sometimes unwanted software in a given software installation may be actually documented, might appear at the end of a license agreement or privacy statement or it may not show at all
This is when you get things added like a change of your home page on your web browser or games added to your home screen or extra windows opening when your are browsing.............

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
That used to be the wisdom but I find they work together well. AVG runs in the background and then I switch that off and do a full scan with Avast every week before resetting AVG. It is similar to what we did at work with paid for anti-virus. I find that one system isn't enough and they each pick up different threats. :)

Sorry pals.:wink:
Perhaps I should have been a wee bitty clearer. Installed and running at the same time!:doh:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Me too...... I should have said what I do in detail rather than assuming people would know this. :)
Don't be silly.:rolleyes: I must stand my ground. It's my faulty entirely.:notworthy: We don't want Jimbob telling us off for fighting now do we.:eek::p:imoutahere:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've had plenty of good advice from @ScotJim over the years and when it's backed up with some facts I take it on board but when self proclaimed experts merely state an opinion without facts and become abusive it renders their opinion less worthy.
I did add some facts, but it seems they were ignored :(

I worked for McAfee for 8 years and my job was to compare our product against all the competitors. This meant secretly buying their products and testing them all against 250,000 viruses.

I assumed you had imbibed a little too heavily last night and you'd review your posts this morning but to give you your due you have remained abusive.
Where was I abusive ?

And please don't insinuate that I was drunk.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I apologise for insinuating you were drunk, I only thought you may have been. You were abusive from the moment I said I was happy with MSE. Oh and I think we should all drive Mercs as every other car on the road is rubbish but that's only my opinion. I won't post on this any more, Jim doesn't need it.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I apologise for insinuating you were drunk, I only thought you may have been. You were abusive from the moment I said I was happy with MSE. Oh and I think we should all drive Mercs as every other car on the road is rubbish but that's only my opinion. I won't post on this any more, Jim doesn't need it.
No, please show where I was abusive ?

You already lied by saying I offered no supporting facts.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Cool guys, cool.
Cool ? Just look at my view right now and you'll see how cool I am LOL

20151130_114822.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun