Which free anti virus do you use? (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Avast free - used to use AVG but found it a bit resource intensive. I also use some other malware scanning utilities as well which seem to co exist ok - I need to go upstairs on to the PC if you are interested in the name which I am more than happy to provide.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Oh God no, not this again :(

I worked for McAfee for 8 years and my job was to compare our product against all the competitors. This meant secretly buying their products and testing them all against 250,000 viruses.

Please, please don't rely on Microsoft's AV product :(

If MS windows was any good, there wouldn't be any viruses. Think about it Oh Please!

Just coz your AV product doesn't find any problems, don't think you're safe. Your product is just probably useless

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
MS Essentials for me too. Had Mcafee pre-installed on the new laptop but found it too invasive although to be fair I was struggling with Win8 at the same time before upgrading to Win10.
It's invasive, cos it's protecting you . But if speed is more important than safety.......

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
It's invasive, cos it's protecting you . But if speed is more important than safety.......
Who said that, not me! MSE does the job for me along with Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D. They have found only a few low threat trackers over the past year which is why I don't have to put up with Mcafee.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Who said that, not me! MSE does the job for me along with Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D. They have found only a few low threat trackers over the past year which is why I don't have to put up with Mcafee.
It's like having a gamekeeper who is blind and has no legs LOL He didn't see any poachers, so that's us 100% sure there aren't any LOL

I don't want to be rude, but do you think that because it hasn't found any problems, that you are safe ?

It was my highly paid job for 8 years to test them all.

Please use something else

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
It's like having a gamekeeper who is blind and has no legs LOL He didn't see any poachers, so that's us 100% sure there aren't any LOL

I don't want to be rude, but do you think that because it hasn't found any problems, that you are safe ?

It was my highly paid job for 8 years to test them all.

Please use something else

:sleep:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
You are trying to help in a funny sort of way, you're as invasive as the product you are trying to promote. Thanks but no thanks.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Oh God no, not this again :(

I worked for McAfee for 8 years and my job was to compare our product against all the competitors. This meant secretly buying their products and testing them all against 250,000 viruses.

Please, please don't rely on Microsoft's AV product :(

If MS windows was any good, there wouldn't be any viruses. Think about it Oh Please!

Just coz your AV product doesn't find any problems, don't think you're safe. Your product is just probably useless
So what do you recommend then?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
You are trying to help in a funny sort of way, you're as invasive as the product you are trying to promote. Thanks but no thanks.
Ignorance is bliss and sometimes people are too stupid or stubborn to accept help.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Trying to help folk who don't know better is never a wrong thing.

But it does get farking tedious

You've shared your expert opinion. If others ignore it, don't let it worry you.

I'm pleased to hear that AVG is regarded well - I use it on all of my devices :)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Plenty of others on this thread use MSE with back up as I do. You've aired your opinion and obviously think you are right and everyone else is wrong. Tiring!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Some useful reviews and ratings on this site Link Removed

I've also been reading up on MSE and it's not as good as I first thought .. in saying that, in three years I've never had an issue.. but have always used Malwarebytes with it.. but never be complacent.. just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't...

so do your own research.. and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/soft...ty-essentials-review-latest-results-highlight
Security Essentials has previously scored well in our live threat-testing environment, but its performances in our last few testing periods have made distinctly worrying reading for any clumsy internet users putting their faith in a trusted brand. Microsoft has previously admitted that the software should only be used as "baseline" protection, but its website makes no mention of this, instead claiming to be a "comprehensive" package.

In view of this I have now installed Comodo .. but read the information and reviews in Gizmos (link above) .. and follow any suggestions about installing.. for example.. for Comodo I followed this advice..

Take care to avoid the installation of unwanted software during installation. To do this use the customized installer button, which is on the lower left-corner of the screen during installation. Additional software, including a browser, an ad-blocking addon, and an option paid service which would allow Comodo technicians to help you with computer problems, are all included by default. Also, I would suggest that you untick the option to Enable Comodo Secure DNS during installation. It tends to falsely block many safe pages. Also, note that although the download page linked to above does not list Windows XP as being supported, Windows XP x32 is fully supported, although Windows XP x64 has significant limitations.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
LOL, educating the ignorant is never easy LOL

So true :doh:

Rule 1 Be Nice.

This is a civilised place for public discussion. Help us make this a great place for conversation by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure if your post will add to the conversation, think hard before posting. Be agreeable, even when you disagree. We do not allow personal attacks of any kind. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are not allowed. As is telling others to "Get a life" or that they or their comments are "stupid" "Crap" or "Bullshit" As soon as a discussion gets even a tiny bit personal it can go downhill fast. So don't get personal "You Would Say That" or "Only an idiot would do that" makes it personal. Don't do it, it ruins the fun atmosphere for everyone.

If someone rubs you up the wrong way then your reply should address the post, rather than the poster or their tone. DO NOT question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster; or make personal comments of ANY kind.Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
No. You should never install two anti-virus systems as they'll "clash" with each other!

That used to be the wisdom but I find they work together well. AVG runs in the background and then I switch that off and do a full scan with Avast every week before resetting AVG. It is similar to what we did at work with paid for anti-virus. I find that one system isn't enough and they each pick up different threats. :)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Some useful reviews and ratings on this site Link Removed

I've also been reading up on MSE and it's not as good as I first thought .. in saying that, in three years I've never had an issue.. but have always used Malwarebytes with it.. but never be complacent.. just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't...

so do your own research.. and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/soft...ty-essentials-review-latest-results-highlight
Security Essentials has previously scored well in our live threat-testing environment, but its performances in our last few testing periods have made distinctly worrying reading for any clumsy internet users putting their faith in a trusted brand. Microsoft has previously admitted that the software should only be used as "baseline" protection, but its website makes no mention of this, instead claiming to be a "comprehensive" package.

In view of this I have now installed Comodo .. but read the information and reviews in Gizmos (link above) .. and follow any suggestions about installing.. for example.. for Comodo I followed this advice..

Take care to avoid the installation of unwanted software during installation. To do this use the customized installer button, which is on the lower left-corner of the screen during installation. Additional software, including a browser, an ad-blocking addon, and an option paid service which would allow Comodo technicians to help you with computer problems, are all included by default. Also, I would suggest that you untick the option to Enable Comodo Secure DNS during installation. It tends to falsely block many safe pages. Also, note that although the download page linked to above does not list Windows XP as being supported, Windows XP x32 is fully supported, although Windows XP x64 has significant limitations.
Some folk didn't believe me, but hopefully they'll believe you.

The consequences of getting infected can be catastrophic. Folk need to know the proper facts.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I use a Macbook why?
In practice cybercriminal gangs are focused exclusively on Windows because there are more Windows users, yes, but also because Windows is still easier to hack. As a Unix-based operating system OS X (Macbook) is by its very nature sandboxed.
It's like having a series of fire doors - even if malware gains access to your Mac, it is unable to spread to the heart of the machine.
Macs are not unhackable, but they are more difficult to exploit than Windows PCs. So just as a burglar could break into a house with an alarm system but will probably choose the unprotected dwelling next door, a Mac makes a less attractive target in a world in which only attractive targets tend to be attacked.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
So true :doh:

Rule 1 Be Nice.

This is a civilised place for public discussion. Help us make this a great place for conversation by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure if your post will add to the conversation, think hard before posting. Be agreeable, even when you disagree. We do not allow personal attacks of any kind. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are not allowed. As is telling others to "Get a life" or that they or their comments are "stupid" "Crap" or "Bullshit" As soon as a discussion gets even a tiny bit personal it can go downhill fast. So don't get personal "You Would Say That" or "Only an idiot would do that" makes it personal. Don't do it, it ruins the fun atmosphere for everyone.

If someone rubs you up the wrong way then your reply should address the post, rather than the poster or their tone. DO NOT question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster; or make personal comments of ANY kind.Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.
Sorry, but the word 'ignorant' is not an insult. What I said was true, but maybe a bit blunt.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I use a Macbook why?
In practice cybercriminal gangs are focused exclusively on Windows because there are more Windows users, yes, but also because Windows is still easier to hack. As a Unix-based operating system OS X (Macbook) is by its very nature sandboxed.
It's like having a series of fire doors - even if malware gains access to your Mac, it is unable to spread to the heart of the machine.
Macs are not unhackable, but they are more difficult to exploit than Windows PCs. So just as a burglar could break into a house with an alarm system but will probably choose the unprotected dwelling next door, a Mac makes a less attractive target in a world in which only attractive targets tend to be attacked.
Yes, I know that Macs are safer, but not totally safe. All the big AV companies employ Mac experts to write the software, because there are Mac viruses out there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back