Dec 11, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
swift bessacar e480
Exp
since june 2016
hi all
been looking to book ferry this week and prices have shot up from last week even when trying to apply discount codes. as im travelling from the north it doesn't really matter which ferry or tunnel I get as I am heading to spain thro france but how do you choose between short ferry more mileage or longer ferry and less mileage or does anyone know of any good offers on at the minute ie Newhaven Dieppe has gone up £35.20 in 6 days supply and demand I suppose hope this makes sense - any views appreciated
cheers
graham and joanne

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry!

We always use the Tunnel with free crossings courtesy of Tesco vouchers.(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always try to use Newhaven/Dieppe but a bit biased as we live only 22 miles from Newhaven.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We booked recently through camping and caravan club as we are members and it was by far the cheapest. I searched the web first so had all the prices to hand then phoned up c&cc for a quote but they beat the best online quote by miles.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I used Newhaven - Dieppe last year. Very happy and if you have matured just a little (60+) they knock 20% off but you book by telephone. I checked the sailings on line for what I wanted and very pleased with them. From my column elsewhere I turned up in the middle of the night not expecting to even see a boat and I was on that for just 10 pounds to change effectively giving me an extra day on holiday.

This year I have opted for the Eurotunnel multi trip which is more convenient for departure.

But after all that Newhaven - Dieppe very good.

Clive

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Clear your cookies and then try again! You'll probably get cheaper price again.

Alternatively, use a different computer or tablet.

Denise
This works !!!!!!! It is very good advice. If you dont know how to get rid of cookies use another computer in a different house preferably with a different post code.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
This works !!!!!!! It is very good advice. If you dont know how to get rid of cookies use another computer in a different house preferably with a different post code.
And wear a mask while on the computer just in case they you left your webcam on and they have facial recogniton

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
We booked at end of last year on P&O for outward beginning May, return Early July. Just checked and price the same at £127 return for 8 mtr van. How cheap do you want it ??:)

That is Dover Calais

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I find it hard to believe, not only did you post that, but two people also found it funny,

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 00.33.23.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 00.29.13.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 00.29.37.png
Avoid Herald of Free Enterprise.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
We have always used the Tunnel with Tesco points when we went by car. This year we are taking the motorhome for the first time, going to Normandy. Checking prices Newhaven-Dieppe was by far and away the cheapest and the over 60 discount paid for a cabin going out

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Sorry!

We always use the Tunnel with free crossings courtesy of Tesco vouchers.(y)

A good deal but not quite "free".

What value of groceries could you have bought with the original club points? That's cost of your tunnel tickets.

I'd be interested to know that figure if someone can be bothered to work it out.

Just asking.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs

What value of groceries could you have bought with the original club points? That's cost of your tunnel tickets.

I'd be interested to know that figure if someone can be bothered to work it out.

Just asking.
You get 3 x the tesco points so whatever the tunnel fare would have been divide it by 3 :D2

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
You get 3 x the tesco points so whatever the tunnel fare would have been divide it by 3 :D2
Do your shopping elsewhere you could have saved £25 x the amount of shopping to receive enough points for the tunnel

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
hi all
been looking to book ferry this week and prices have shot up from last week even when trying to apply discount codes. as im travelling from the north it doesn't really matter which ferry or tunnel I get as I am heading to spain thro france but how do you choose between short ferry more mileage or longer ferry and less mileage or does anyone know of any good offers on at the minute ie Newhaven Dieppe has gone up £35.20 in 6 days supply and demand I suppose hope this makes sense - any views appreciated
cheers
graham and joanne

Don't forget that if you are over 60 Newhaven Dieppe give 20% discount if you ring to book,,BUSBY,,

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Provided you don't spend a fortune on overnight accommodation I will always maintain that road miles are cheaper than ferry miles.

I live in a similar part of the UK to the OP, and we always travel to Europe via Dover/Calais. Most would recommend the Tunnel if discounts are available but like for like it's usually more expensive than the ferry. The Tunnel is quicker but I prefer the view from the ferry :)

To save costs, look at early or late crossings on weekdays rather than daytime crossings at weekends. We usually aim to sail around 07:30 am. P&O bookings through the CCC are discounted, but you have to offset the membership fee against that. Don't assume that a return with one ferry company is cheaper than two single trips with two different companies - it may not be the case. Shop around.

DFDS from Dunkerque can be a similar price to P&O from Calais but their sailing times are less frequent. On our last return trip we stopped overnight at the Gravelines aire and drove the short distance to Dunkerque port and it worked well. Previously we've returned via Calais, but we prefer Gravelines as a stopover now.

Last time we went to Spain through France we did Calais to Poitiers on Day 1 and Poitiers to Anglet on Day 2, with time to spare for a late afternoon stroll on the beach. We were in Spain first thing the following morning.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

Just asking.
I agree it is not free but.......

We all have to eat and live so we have to buy supplies. Our three nearest supermarkets are all Tesco. So, for money we would have to spend anyhow we receive "free" vouchers. These can then be exchanged at face value for supplies or face value x 3 for tunnel tickets.

i.e. £30 of vouchers will give you £30 of goods at Tesco or will pay £90 of your Tunnel ticket.

What's not to like?

Unless you have some philosophical objection to Tesco, but that's another matter entirely.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

We all have to eat and live so we have to buy supplies. Our three nearest supermarkets are all Tesco. So, for money we would have to spend anyhow we receive "free" vouchers. These can then be exchanged at face value for supplies or face value x 3 for tunnel tickets.

i.e. £30 of vouchers will give you £30 of goods at Tesco or will pay £90 of your Tunnel ticket.

What's not to like?

Unless you have some philosophical objection to Tesco, but that's another matter entirely.
Or £30 spent at Aldi would buy you as much as £40 spent at TESCO,,,BUSBY:D:D

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Or £30 spent at Aldi would buy you as much as £40 spent at TESCO,,,BUSBY:D:D
But still no reduction on the Tunnel!;)

The additional fuel cost of driving past Tesco to get to Aldi and return would wipe out half of the saving in our case.:cool:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
But still no reduction on the Tunnel!;)

The additional fuel cost of driving past Tesco to get to Aldi and return would wipe out half of the saving in our case.:cool:

We are lucky,,only 5 min drive or 30 min walk to both Lidl and Aldi and only a little further to Sainsburys and Tesco,,Spoilt for choice,,BUSBY,,

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011

Just asking.

Just asking.
I don't shop at Tesco,other supermarkets nearer. I now purchase every thing on my Tesco credit card so the points had up. Before any one says Interest, I pay it off in full.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Although some others will disagree the cheapest way to get to Spain is via Dover Calais, and IMO the cheapest ferry operator will be DFDS. The best deals are those which are booked well in advance. Sadly the days of the 40% discount are long gone and you may get the odd offer for a few pounds but nothing like it used to be.
The saving made by going by road is significant as on a single journey alone, from Calais to Irun the fuel cost for a 3.5 T Motorhome averaging 30 MPG will cost in the region of 110 Euros (As sure as eggs are eggs this will now be challenged).
This assumes a route using non toll roads and a distance of 680 miles. to the Irun border crossing.
The attached link details the route with some minor toll options which I would recommend as they get you through built up areas at little to no cost.
I have also included a link for Spain which can easily be dome Toll free too.

http://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm
http://about-spain.net/travel/map.htm

The cheapest ferry cost to Spain would be somewhere in the region of £350. each way and this would be with B.F. and to get that price you have to be a member of their scheme, I believe. (This is something you can establish from their website). Then of course the additional fuel cost from your point of arrival to your destination. It all adds up.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years

What's not to like?

I wasn't suggesting for one moment that there was anything wrong with shopping at Tesco (although I've avoided the place in the past as any profit going into the crook Porter's pocket would have left a sour taste in my mouth), I was just pointing out that a £90 free crossing actually costs £30, so a good deal but not free.
Back home we are fortunate to have Aldi, Lidl, Asda and Morrison's all within 15 mins so we tend to mix and match.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back