Which engine is best?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Nik, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Nik

Nik Funster

Hi all.

Fiat do a 130HP, 150HP, and 3 litre engines in manual and Auto.
    Looking at Autotrail Dakota/Delaware models.
    Just after some feedback please regarding which one you might recommend as regards ease of driving, economy, etc.
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Nik

2. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

well automatic for definite IMHO

3. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Am I right in thinking that a more powerful engine will often be more economical because it's not having to work so hard?
    Something my father told me when I was a child.
    Stef.

4. dickieo

dickieo Read Only Funster

Mine is Renault 2.5 , 150 bhp 6 speed gear box . round about 28 mpg . 120 ltr fuel tank . 4,7 tonnes . very powerful . goes like concorde

5. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Fiat 150 my pick

6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

A lot depends on how you like to drive.
    I have the 2.3 150hp Comformatic, loads of power for a 3.5t van, previously had 2.3 manual never found that lacking any power but I do preferthe 150. The 3Lt has a weight penalty of 50kg and make quite a dent in the wallet.
    The 150 is very economical but does it really mater when spending 60k + on a van, if it costs a couple of hundred quid a year more in fuel, better to have the engine that suits you best.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Fiat 3ltr 160 BHP drives well and 24 MPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

We have the LWB Maxi body & run just shy of the 3.5T limit (although the design weight is higher). The van is our only vehicle so is used for everything (no commuting & no 'nipping to the shops' though). I went for the 150 Comfortmatic & wouldn't want any less, although if I only used it for holidays, I might feel differently.

Everyone who has the 3.0lt seems to love them, but I couldn't justify the extra cash. With hindsight, I couldn't justify the extra 50kg either, if it's that much heavier. I'm sure I would love it too - we live in an area of relatively open 'A' roads, no motorways & almost no dual carriageways. Even with the 150, overtakes are only occasional & have to be well planned!

The Comfortmatic box is great - very relaxing most of the time. You need to adjust to the very slow change from 1st to 2nd, which means you plan any manoeuvre that involves pulling out into traffic rather differently than you might have done in the past. After the first couple of heart-stopping moments, you soon adjust!

Normal changes are seamless & are as smooth as if done by a professional chauffeur. It manages downchanges exceptionally well, adding engine braking when sensing downhill runs.

The software is setup to preserve both the clutch & the syncromesh. It always matches the engine revs to the road speed before re-engaging drive. Best described as like driving your Dad's pride & joy with your Dad sat next to you. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

We have the Fiat 130 manual in our Globecar PVC. As we have not had a van previously I can not really make any comparisons. What I can say is that I enjoy driving it and it has plenty of power for me. Over the last 24000 miles the average MPG has been 37 with a worst of 31 and a best just under 50. On a long motorway type run I expect nothing less than 40, usually about 42 to 43.

To qualify this I should say that we do not do short journeys, always use cruise control and generally cruise at an indicated 55 MPH. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

We have the 3.0l Comformatic (160bhp). Love driving it - very smooth, and takes hills (no matter how steep) with ease.
    As for economy - I honestly don't give a hoot. No point in trying to "save the planet" when it's already fubar :roflmto:

• Like Like x 1
  11. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

3 litre comfortmatic only way to go!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Terran

Terran Funster

Hi Nik, we've got a Comfortmatic driven by a 150 pulling 3.85t. It's just done 1100 miles and has returned a little over 24mpg, not bad for something that isn't yet run-in. Previous van was a manual powered by a 130 pulling 3.5t which was also OK for the job. In short its all about the power to weight ratio, but I agree with TheCaller, the Comfortmatic is well worth the investment. (y) Cheers. Terran

13. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

Agree 2.8jtd fabulous engine never returned less than 30mpg whether touring Scotland, Devon or France.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I've just sold my 3.0l 6 speed manual and will be replacing it with a 3.0l Automatic.

Two years ago three friends each in their own vans convoy style around the war graves.

Autotrail with a Fiat 2.3 130 bhp, my 3.0l 160 bhp in a 4ton Geist and my pal in his 2.8 Mercedes Auto 4.25 ton.

The Merc beat me even with an auto box using £11 less fuel over the course of the week and I beat the lighter van with the smaller engine by £16 over exactly the same route.

My 3.0 l stays in sixth gear right down to low speeds and has enough tourque to just power out again, the surprise was the Merc, as if anything he is a little heavier footed than I.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Goes to show it's all about 'Power to Weight' ratio (y)

Automatic is a personal choice (I would have liked it but just pushed the price up too much for me at the time:()

As it stands I am very happy with my current lot :D

16. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Mine is the fiat 2.3 150bhp on a 4250 chassis, run around 3500/3600 and find no problems at all with a return of 28/30mpg on average
    I generally drive at about 60/65mph

17. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

The 3.0 litre just has so much low down torque, max at only 1700 rpm I believe. Smaller engine will do but I love the effortlessness.s..s.s.s..

• Like Like x 1
  18. davejmobile

davejmobile Funster

the choice has to be the 3.0 litre fiat had the 2.3 remapped does not compare with the 3.0 litre unit

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nik

Nik Funster

Hi All.
    Thank you very much for your replies all of which I have read. The general thrust seems to be that the 2.3 150 with auto box is preferred. The way forward for me think. Now to find one.
    Very best regards
    Nik.

PS:
    just got back from 2 weeks in Tenerife, lots of motor home driving around there, some fantastic spots to stop, no UK plates seen though.
    Cheers
    Nik

20. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Those who choose panel vans need to be careful if selecting a 3 litre auto, because they can overload front axle depending on van layout...