Which driver was to blame

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by buttons, Jan 18, 2016.

1. buttons

buttons Funster

I witnessed a prang this morning, Two BMWs collided on a mini roundabout. Mini roundabouts are a real bone of contention with some but not me:).
    This mornings situation was that BMW 1 entered a clear roundabout area he got half way across when BMW 2 entered the roundabout area and hit BMW 1 in the side. The lady got out of BMW 2 and remonstrated that BMW 1 should have given way to her before she entered the roundabout area. My understanding is that we give way to the right but only if the vehicle to your right has already entered the roundabout.
    What do you think who was to blame BMW 1 or BMW 2 .:censored:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Oriel

Oriel

Mini roundabouts are the same as larger ones - you give way to traffic coming from the right

• Like Like x 6
  3. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

As above!

4. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

No.2

• Like Like x 1
  5. Encantador

Encantador Funster

I would say BMW 2 is in the wrong, mainly because she ran into BMW 1.

We have lots of roundabouts controlled by traffic lights, if the lights are ever not working for some reason, it is chaos, a lot of drivers seem totally lost and have no idea what to do. All of the normal road markings are in place, no lights, it's a roundabout like any other.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

2 once on any roundabout you always have right of way.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

BMW 2. You cannot enter the roundabout if a car is already on it to you right, but nothing says you have to be clear. Busses, lorries or coaches etc can enter a roundabout clear of traffic, but may not be clear when another approaches from the right.

8. Boycie

Boycie Funster

BMW 2 as mentioned above. BMW 1 does not know the HIGHWAY CODE.

• Like Like x 1
  9. buttons

buttons Funster

Correct but mini roundabouts are different in respect that they are much smaller, (maybe just two car lengths across),some think that they have right of way long before they have reached the roundabout. I think you should give way to vehicles that are already on the roundabout area.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Oriel

Oriel

Yes, I agree. Obviously cars already on any roundabout have right of way. Of course if they were on the roundabout they'd be coming from the right, so the give way to the right rule applies wherever the vehicle is.

11. Frentchy

Frentchy Funster

I would imagine for an actual collision to occur there was some fast aggressive maneuvering, especially as there are two BMs and at leased one woman involved.:restmycase:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Comment by Buttons at start of thread;
    My understanding is that we give way to the right but only if the vehicle to your right has already entered the roundabout.
    Correct.
    Comment by Oriel;
    Mini roundabouts are the same as larger ones - you give way to traffic coming from the right.
    Incoorect because the comment is incomplete (See Buttons comment)

There is a common misconception by the modern motorist that, as he approaches the roundabout he can enter it and damn the consequences as occured here.

Just for devilment I regularly enter a roundabout when I can see quite clearly a motorist on the right WHO IS NOT ON THE ROUNDABOUT, bearing down on it at a speed. He/she does not have right of way purely because he/she is to my right. He/she isn't ON the roundabout.

• Like Like x 3
  13. buttons

buttons Funster

No Oriel BMW 1 did not come or was not coming from the right, however BMW 1 did enter a completely clear roundabout as BMW 2 at this point had not entered the roundabout area. BMW 2 should have given way to BMW 1 simply because he was already on the roundabout.

14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

No 2 for not driving with due care and attention ... regardless of whether she was 'first' in the pecking order if they had both been at the roundabout at the exact same time, she drove onto it whilst the other car was half way across which means that she wasn't ready to react to the actual 'conditions' on the road at the time. It sounds like she hadn't been looking forward and instead sideways to see if anything was approaching her on the right and/or had just 'assumed' that she would be able to go straight across it without slowing down.

• Like Like x 2
  15. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Not necessarily, it is possible to pull out on any roundabout as a vehicle approaches from the right, usually at speed, and be on the roundabout before the approaching vehicle reaches the roundabout. The critical words are 'give way to vehicles already on the roundabout' be it a mini roundabout or normal size.

As @buttons says far too many people approach roundabouts at speed with the assumption that no one will pull out and they have automatic right of way.

16. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

It doesn't matter, they are both BMW drivers and should both be imprisoned!:)

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 4
  17. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

Now this type of crash is where a Dash Cam comes in very handy .......

• Like Like x 5
  18. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

I totally agree that once you're on the roundabout you have right of way, even if a
    vehicle is coming from the right but not actually on it. BUT many people assume that they can enter at speed from the right, using the car as a battering ram as on this occasion. It is therefore wise to be circumspect if someone is approaching fast from the right. The driver coming from the right obviously was travelling too fast if a collision occurred. The insurance companies will probably treat it as a 50/50.

19. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Have another look at the highway code.. Mini roundabouts are different.. Sort of..

The rule is the same.. the size makes it different.. In this case it is both drivers at fault, one for failing to give way, one for failing to take action to avoid an accident. I predict the insurance companies will split liability close to 50/50

20. Oriel

Oriel

Well that's a new one on me. So are you saying that you don't give way to the right?

Just for clarification.... Whenever I approach a roundabout I slow down and check to the right... if nothing is coming from the right off I go. Surely no entry onto a roundabout has the right over another entry as all vehicles are giving way to those approaching from the right. If I pulled up and at the same time that another vehicle was doing the same in the lane to my right I'd expect them to pull out and so wait for them to do so.

I'm not talking about the BMW scenario - no idea as I wasn't there.

• Like Like x 1