Which drive shaft should I order? (1 Viewer)

Eloise

Free Member
Apr 1, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
2 years
Hi all, we've a sundance 520 on a fiat ducato base. It's a 1999 model. Does anyone know which drive shaft we should order. Our front passenger side is leaking
I hadn't realised the choice until now. TIA

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Why replace the shaft for the sake of a boot?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Take it to a garage.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
assuming it's a CV boot leaking? I would just replace the boot as long as the CV joint isn't worn, if it's a gear oil leak then it's a oil seal and not the driveshaft, you really need to give more information !
if it's the whole shaft then your chassis number should be all you need to get the correct part,

OP
OP
Eloise

Eloise

Free Member
Apr 1, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
2 years
Hi, it's not a boot. The seal is leaking at the gearbox. The cv joint is moving in the seal. I think the circlip has broke or worn which holds the shaft in. To answer your questions, the driveshaft comes with a new seal (needed) and a new hub nut (also needed). To just replace the seal would be false economy as I would have to purchase that, and a nut and if the circlip is worn a new inner cv joint too.

How do I tell which gearbox code I have? The reg number alone brings up 4 choices.

Thanks.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Are you doing the job yourself?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Drive shaft, probably £100+
New gearbox oil seal...probably less than £10

You don't need to remove the whole shaft to replace the gearbox oil seal...simply unbolt the lower suspension arms and draw the shaft and inner CV joint with the suspension from the gearbox.
Dig out the old seal, tap in the new and rebuild.

The joint is designed to slide in the box...if it didn't you would have no gearbox left.
Up and down suspension motion is converted to linear shaft movement.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Where I work sells driveshafts, don't think the gearbox oil seal is included.

OP
OP
Eloise

Eloise

Free Member
Apr 1, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
2 years
Inner cv is not supposed to slide in and out of the gear box. This is why it has a circlip? Or am I assuming to much by comparing to a car drive shaft? The shaft moves in and out of the cv joint and cup at both ends for suspension travel etc.

The fact that the cv has had linear movement is the reason the seal has worn. The seal will allow rotation but not linear movement, this will turn the lip inside out or tear it.

If I can find the right parts, I will do this myself. If I can't then a garage can take on the risk.

Thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As much as I hate apologising it appears you are correct.....sorry.

Why not simply replace the inner joint and seal.
Any motor factor should be able to supply just using your registration number...and a lot cheaper than a new complete shaft.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
the inner joint is called a pod joint and can be replace separately to the rest of the shaft, as long as you don't have vertical movement on the pod joint then I would remove and replace the spring clip that holds the pod joint to the differential at the same time replacing the seal,
that will be substantially cheaper than a complete driveshaft,,
I also would change the gearbox oil while I was at it,

OP
OP
Eloise

Eloise

Free Member
Apr 1, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
2 years
Hi,
You both may be right. I need seal, oil, circlip, hub nut, joint and boot kit if I split the shaft. If I just change the seal and circlip, I risk it still leaking and hate doing a job twice. That's my reasoning for just changing the whole shaft.

Gsf have 50% off every weekend but when I put reg number in, four shaft choices came up? Different payloads and gearbox codes. Just confused me as to which one I need for a 2000 1.9 TD five speed.

Thanks

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
there is usually a small aluminium plate or sometimes just the gearbox code/ number stamped in a prominent position, get underneath with some cleaner and rag and check it out, but if decide the change the complete shaft it's easier to take the old one to match up, number of splines/ length of shaft, and usually they are exchange anyway so saves you two trips to the motor factors,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back