Which digital automatic self-seeking satellite system to buy? (1 Viewer)

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi everyone

We have just bought a new motorhome and we have decided to take the plunge and buy an automatic dish, and we are hoping for some advice:

• We need dual LNB
  • Compatible/works with SKY+ HD
  • 85cm dish for Europe
  • Auto tunes to Astra 2D (after reading Snowbirds thread) :)
  • Can be removed in years to come and placed on a new MH (just leaving base plate?)
  • OK in strongish winds
  • Automatic Skew adjustment

I have been looking at the Oyster Vision II, good choice?

Cheers

N&K

Last edited:

sirhandel

Free Member
Nov 28, 2008
Chippenham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Best to go along to the NEC exhibition 13-18 October and speak to Robert Jackson at TSC or the chaps at Roadpro. I purchased my Oyster Caro auto system from Robert Jackson at the exhibition last year - he came to my house and installed it - it has since been transferred to my new Rapido by Brownhills who did a very neat job. It has worked faultlessly.

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
My vote would be for the Kathrein Cap 90. Superb system, and transferable.

philip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've just bought a 2ndhand Rv with the Oyster self seeking system already fitted. It was something we'd thought about previously but could never justify the expense. Now we have one I must say its brilliant as long as it can find a signal. Would I buy one myself "NO" I still can't justify the expense but if it's what you want the Oyster is a brilliant system.
Good luck:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
We've just bought a 2ndhand Rv with the Oyster self seeking system already fitted. It was something we'd thought about previously but could never justify the expense. Now we have one I must say its brilliant as long as it can find a signal. Would I buy one myself "NO" I still can't justify the expense but if it's what you want the Oyster is a brilliant system.
Good luck:thumb:

Hi Rory and I hope you are well.

Does it mean then that whilst say watching Sky whilst travelling that the signal will go and the programme dissapear? How long in general will it take to come back on? I have been thinking about one of these for some time to keep the grumpy ones happy whilst travelling but it seems expensive if it loses the signal?

little jack

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
Funster No

Does it mean then that whilst say watching Sky whilst travelling that the signal will go and the programme dissapear? How long in general will it take to come back on? I have been thinking about one of these for some time to keep the grumpy ones happy whilst travelling but it seems expensive if it loses the signal?

To use a system while travelling it is obviously going to be a dome, as I understand it, Oyster, and probably the other makes come in two types - those that do (stay locked on when moving) and the cheaper ones that dont.
Presumbly even these will lose the signal on occasions when the line of sight to thye sattelite is blocked. The Road Pro website has a lot of info.

little jack

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Hi Paul we're doing greats thanks been away every weekend except one since having the new van jiving has gone a bit slack though.:cry:

The Oyster doesn't work while traveling it automatically parks when you start the engine but a brilliant picture with the skybox as long as you can get a satellite signal.

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
It was something we'd thought about previously but could never justify the expense.

Hi

thanks for the reply, and i agree about justifying the expense. This is one of the reasons I would like to take it off and put it on the next motorhome, so the expense can be spread across many MHs and not just fixed to the duration of MH ownership. I thought the Oyster could be removed from its base plate to take away.

Now we have one I must say its brilliant as long as it can find a signal.

Does it struggle to get a signal sometimes, in this country or abroad?

ta

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Does it struggle to get a signal sometimes, in this country or abroad?

The only time it struggles to get a signal is if there are trees or high buildings blocking the line to the satellite which stops it locking on. Don't know about abroad we've only had it a 6 weeks.:thumb:

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
We have an Oyster set up with Sky FTA, worked FAB in recent French holiday as long as we were away from the trees!!!!!

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Does anyone have or experience of a Teleco Flat Sat Easy?

Link Removed

Thanks

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi N&K

I have had 2 auto sat systems. Magisat & Oyster. The Oyster is much better as the dish is less affected by high winds.

Have been to the Oyster factory twice and received a smashing welcome and excellent assistance. The last time was 2 years ago when the remote control packed up. The system was out of warranty but the software was updated, the remote was replaced FOC and when I asked about buying a lead to update the software I was given a lead also FOC.

The company, Ten Haaft, used to be family owned and the customer service was the best. They have been taken over by a German firm and I believe customer service has suffered. The website never seems to get updated so much so that I have stopped looking.

If I was buying now I would probably go for a dome system once I was certain I could get the same coverage as the Oyster eg watching the football on Sky right at the bottom of Italy.

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
The only bad news I have had about the Oyster is it uses Gears between the motor and the dish (some others use direct drive from the motor). The distributor said the in extreme cases (high winds) the gears can break. But I imagine this would be a serious gust of wind.
The Teleco uses a direct drive from the motor apparently.
n.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back