Which Club to join

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by mozwal, Aug 27, 2010.

1. mozwal

mozwal Read Only Funster

Any suggestions on whether to join the Caravan Club or the Camping & Caravan Club - totally new to this and have just bought an Elddis Autocirrus, would prefer wild camping and small well spaced sites, Northern England & Scotland

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I belong to both. They both have lots of good small exempted sites (CLs), the caravan club most, however the caravan clubs actual 'proper'sites are not much use as they are mainly booked up and are expensive.:Angry:

CLs are your best bet as tey are generally quite cheap, in nice places, and no worries about security or being moved on by the police. Wild camping is not legal, though some do it all the time and get away with it.

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

between wild camping and "Fun" rallies why would you need any other sites, don't bother joining either.

4. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

If you are of family age then the C & CC

If you are of senior years the CC.

That's my simplistic way of explaining them.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i was a member of both clubs for a number of years but gave up on the caravan club this year.

main sites are usually booked within hours of the new season booking start date and are run on a 'strict' rule book by stuffed shirts.
    the hiarachy all appear to have letters after their names and the patron is HRH Price Philip.

the camping and caravanning club has a much more relaxed approach being run by a bloke in a flat cap with a whippet on a lead. the president is that old beardy geezer David Bellamy.

as already said both clubs have a good selection of '5 van' sites (CC= certified locations (CL's)....CC&C = certified sites (CS's)..max 5 vans at a time allegedy :Wink:) but the CC&C also cater for tent campers and there doesnt appear to be a limit on these.

membership cost is around the same.

both have a club magazine aimed at all types of campers.

hope this explains a little

6. mozwal

mozwal Read Only Funster

Many thanks, I was hoping for precisely this sort of advice! CC sounds very much out of my comfort zone.....

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dont forget for general camping, MotorhomeFun is slowly building a certified location/site database of its own now Jim has applied for, and been granted, a government licence to do so.

all we need now are more independant campsites to get on the 'fun' bandwagon and become 'fun CLs' .

8. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

From both step away young Luke - much to accomplish you have

:Rofl1::Rofl1:

9. robnchris

robnchris Funster

which club

We joined both, reasons being depending on where you are you will always find a campsite belonging to one of these clubs.
    We just want to have the freedom of choice and for the cost it is well worth it. :thumb:

10. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Being the slightly odd one out, in not having full facilities in the van, I possibly had more reason for joining the C&CC or CC. Ended up at the former more by luck than anything (tried the CC first but the registration process was a problem so I gave up and went with the C&CC).

Pros: facilities have always been good, staff always friendly (so far...), pitches always good
    Cons: can be quite expensive (particularly at peak times) and packed (ditto). I would also suggest that the busiest times, for various reasons, tend to attract the most miserable and awkward customers, as I found out last weekend :Smile:

The CLs/CSs are of variable quality but usually good value for money. The C&CC magazine is OK for a rainy day.

11. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

member of both clubs but dont use their main sites, use occasional cs/cl s though and some of their insurance services. For first timers abroad both clubs offer a good deal in using their system for taking the hassle out of booking sites etc and ferry booking giving the first time abroad campers the opportunity of having a good break with out the worry of booking sites where english might not be spoken. Also both clubs offer breakddown recovery both in europe and the uk.
    I think a lot of people look at the big clubs more for the other services they offer rather than their main sites.

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Pre internet days I used them for that very reason: one phone call, ferry booked, insurance / breakdown cover and site(s) booked..

now you can do it all from your lappy and cut out the middle man .. they do provide a good service, but you can do it just as cheap if not cheaper by yourself .. and with the help from forums such as this they , for me anyway , have become obsolete as booking agents.