Which charging gadget do I need??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Encantador, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Encantador

Encantador Funster

I would like to be able to keep the engine battery charged from the solar panel and ideally also from the mains when on EHU.

Outside the house it is always connected to the mains, so it makes sense to have that option too.

Is there a single gadget, ideally that I can purchase and get fitted locally that will charge from both?

Thanks

Steve

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I have 2 of the split charge relays, one charging the engine battery and one charging a second leisure bank. Item no 330747187815 from good old ebay. They work great and you can fit them yourself in half an hour. At under £20 they are the cheapest way.

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

4. Encantador

Encantador Funster

EHU at home only seems to charge the leisure batteries as far as I can tell. Over the winter when there is little sun, it would seem sensible to use the EHU to also keep the engine battery topped up.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Steve.

5. Snowbird

6. Encantador

Encantador Funster

The seller of this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330747187815&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 (Thanks Snowbird), says that it will work with solar and/or EHU.

Am I right in thinking that it is not taking the power from the Solar panel and/or EHU, it is simply drawing a bit direct from the batteries when they are full and sending it to the engine battery? So it doesn`t matter whether it is the solar or the EHU doing the charging and so will be what I need.

Thanks

Steve

7. Snowbird

Thats the thing I have. What it does is detect when the leisure battery is full, then charges another battery ie, engine or second battery bank. Simple to fit as you only connect one wire to the positive on your leisure and one to the positive on your engine battery plus one wire to earth.

8. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

yes Steve your Zig unit or other control panel should have a switch to select leisure or engine to charge on EHU.

9. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Thanks Roger, I`m with it now, yes I can switch over to charge the engine battery from the control panel, but over the winter that would mean me remembering to do it regularly.

My understanding is that the gadget above does it all automatically.

Thanks

Steve