Which? Can Bus code reader OBD2. Engine fault code reader (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all, i have scanned the threads for info on the above but not really found a definitive answer so i hope you guy's can help me out. (y)
got stuck in "LONG"! tailback on M4 earlier in the week in the van. crawled for around 7 / 8 miles mostly on tickover. then the dreaded Engine Check light came on , on the dash. Cut a long story short no issue just did not like the extended period at tickover revs. fault was cleared and sorted .

Anyway decided i should get my hands on a portable fault code reader. having scanned many a thread and searched google all recommendations pointed me firmly at the following reader:-
U480 Universal OBD2 Can bus fault code reader. for the pricey sum of £10.99 delivered.

it arrived next day, good handbook and CD data, plugged it in " it dont work on my van"!:cry:

it constantly shows the " Linling Error " statement after going through its routine.

so does any one have one that works on a FIAT Ducato 2.3 130 2012 that i can get the same ?

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Try it in another vehicle to see if it's the vehicle or the OBDII reader that's at fault.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Try it in another vehicle to see if it's the vehicle or the OBDII reader that's at fault.

going to do that in the morning, but had a message from the seller "it dont work on vans"! apparently stated in the listing! which i read and did not notice. been back and checked listing and it "Now" says dont work on vans"!:whistle2:

LaMB

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Boston
Funster No
MH
Frankia i 640 SD
Exp
Since 2012
I bought this one :-
Broken Link Removed

It works ok on my 2012 Peugeot Boxer. I downloaded an app for my phone, OBD Auto Doctor, (windows phone). Only downside is it fits the OBD socket upside down, (I'm just fussy lol).

Martin

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Torque pro app & a Bluetooth OBD adaptor off eBay

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
"it dont work on vans"!

Is true, vans were not obliged to comply with ODB2 until long after cars. They may have the connector but not the standard protocol. I've failed on my 2003 motor.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I bought this one after larrywin recommended it £28, works on my 2014 Auto Sleeper Broadway (Peugeot) and also works on our 2009 Nissan Micra.
John.

Broken Link Removed

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Maxiscan MS309 works on my 130 multijet and gives manufacturers codes too, £16.99 on amazon

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I bought a dirt cheap bluetooth OBDII reader, and downloaded scantool (the free version), I think it cost about £10 off ebay. It has saved me £100's now, I have reset the MIL on all the family cars, mostly when I have done something wrong I hasten to add. Turned on the lights in the van without one of the headlamps connected, that required an MIL reset. Started my Astra without the mass airflow sensor attached, also requires MIL reset.

The diagnostic tests are very useful, plug in, set them running, and Bob is your uncle, a very handy tool. I am pretty sure that all the OBDII readers are much the same, it is just the software that goes on top of them that differs.

I have detected some real problems with it, wifes car kept getting MIL light come on, attached tool, only to discover that the EGR needed replacing, one afternoon, grazed knuckles and problem solved. Would never have sorted it without a scanner.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
thanks all for the replies. (y)

tried the one i bought on neighbors car works fine, so not suitable for the van.

he had a lead with software on pc which worked fine on my van all sorted and reset. then he kindly agreed to swap devices...:cheers:

the fault code was for " clutch switch input circuit"! seems relevant as i was constantly using the clutch crawling for the 7 miles plus.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I had a look through eBay for one then contacted the seller to ask for a recommendation for my list of vehicles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back